A Avedis Dark Ride...

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
New model?
They sound nice in the videos:

Anybody play one? When did they come out? I can't find them on the Zildjian website.

Apparently modeled after Trans Stamps?

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice cymbal. Nice playing, too. I've never heard of it either, but I'm way out of the loop on new Zildjian models.

Here's my takeaway... it sounds like a 22" A. Zildjian Medium Ride. A nice one at that. They should all sound that good and that's what (used to) drive me crazy. It shouldn't necessitate creating a new "A Dark Ride" to replicate the sound of what is really a 22" A. Zildjian Medium Ride.

What's next, a K "Bright" Ride? Maybe I'm missing something...

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
Nice cymbal. Nice playing, too. I've never heard of it either, but I'm way out of the loop on new Zildjian models.

Here's my takeaway... it sounds like a 22" A. Zildjian Medium Ride. A nice one at that. They should all sound that good and that's what (used to) drive me crazy. It shouldn't necessitate creating a new "A Dark Ride" to replicate the sound of what is really a 22" A. Zildjian Medium Ride.

What's next, a K "Bright" Ride? Maybe I'm missing something...
I dont know, this seems to be different but still valid sound to me.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Haven't heard anything about A Avedis Dark rides specifically or additions to the A Avedis line, but this very strongly resembles my A Avedis 21" in both look and sound. Perhaps that's just an adjective rather than an official designation.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like an A Medium to me. They both sound good, but I really dig the straight A Mediums. Especially the 22".

The dark ride kind of sounds like an A with patina on it. A little darker and dryer. The stick sound is a little pingy-er. The presence and sparkle is rolled off just a little. Like dimming the lights.

K's have some trash and grit under them. There's more to them than just sounding "darker" than an A. So I don't believe a K Bright is necessarily the polar opposite. And it would be a worthy cymbal, IMO.

kevinyarger

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with an Trans stamp era Zildjian's. I only know Zildjian's from the mid 90's to now:blush:. To me this cymbal looks like it has a smaller cup similar to the one found on a regular K ride but lacks the hammering and is maybe 100-200 grams lighter than your average 22" K ride. My other guess is that it's just a heavier Avedis line cymbal with no factory patina. Just my uneducated guess.

Latest posts