A bad experience

Toast Tee

Reaction score
I had an audition that had been planned for a week, or so last night.
I was given a setlist with 60, or so tunes. I knew I would have to spend any free time charting out the tunes I didn't know. The band is a female fronted Pop/Rock giging band.
So I got there, and we warmed up to a tune we all knew from the set list. After that tune, the vocalist said let's do the songs on the list. There were only SEVEN they actually wanted me to learn for the audition. These guys/gal could play, keep time, and used sequencing. All right up my ally.
So anyway, our email conversation went back, and forth 27 times. That should have been a gimme gig, but due to a missed email in the email convo, I wasn't as prepared as I should have been.
Having learned, or have known about 2/3rds of their material, I had let them know I had made a mistake, and didn't see the audition list.
I played well, and got through the tunes I've heard pretty well.
I can tell the vocalist wasn't thrilled from the very start.
My hope is they saw I can play, keep solid time, and have me back for a second audition (if it gets to that)
I blew a great op due to a miscomunication.
Like I said, I'm hoping I get another crack.
Guess I'll find out soon enough.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If your time, groove and song-sensibility were on, and if it all felt good, that should work in your favor, even if you weren't 100% familiar with the material. Songs can always be learned.

Toast Tee

Reaction score
If your time, groove and song-sensibility were on, and if it all felt good, that should work in your favor, even if you weren't 100% familiar with the material. Songs can always be learned.
Yeah, I agree. I actually felt good about how everything came out.
The bassist, and guitarist were excellent, and they were on board with me (ya just know)
However, as soon as I told the vocalist I didn't think I received the song list. That was it. I was toast right there. Her entire demeanor changed, and she completely closed off to me.
I got through all the tunes 1st take in time. Didn't matter, she thought I just didn't care, or was being cocky, idk? I knew about 40 of the 60 tunes chop for chop, was relaxed etc...
It was frustrating as hell to know, no matter how well I was to play, I was never going to get a shot.
My hope, and thought....I think they may be hard pressed to find another drummer who could be ready to gig their entire set list in a few more days. Can play with sequencing/loops/click, and may have no other choice but to give me a 2nd audition. I'd say just about any drummer that can bring what I can to the table, already has a gig.
I haven't got any official word, so I could be dead wrong, but I got an awful vibe from her.
I'm fairly new to the area I'm living in now, so I have to earn my reputation back from past cities I've lived in. I never had to audition, I was just referred.
Maybe it's for the best? Would I stay happy playing for a frontman/women who was this ridged?

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You went out of the way to learn numerous songs on the set list that weren't part of the Audition....that says something very positive. And it's possible not one other person asked to audition did that. If they don't see the benefit....it's their loss. Learning a short list of audition songs should pale next to your overall skill level and "feel"...and learning other of their songs. Every good "job interview" goes beyond the basic information that is routinely asked for. You learned more "about the company" when it wouldn't necessarily benefit you at the audition.

Last edited:

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I'd say at this point, it's not only about how well you played, it's now how well you're seen to react to hiccups, speedbumps, perceived slights, and all those things that go beyond skill sets and into the oil of working relationships.

Hiccups happen, but it's how they're going to see you react to them, in a relaxed, normal professional manner. From here, they take last night's personal interactions and begin judging your character and nature (and you theirs, certainly), and decide how graciously and easily you all work through those kinds of things together.

Last edited:

Toast Tee

Reaction score
You went out of the way to learn numerous songs on the set list that weren't part of the Audition....that says something very positive. And it's possible not one other person asked to audition did htat. If they don't see the benefit of that....it's their loss. Learning a short list of audition songs should pale next to your overall skill level and "feel"...and learning other of their songs. Every good "job interview" goes beyond the basic information that is routinely asked for. You learned "about the company" when it wouldn't necessarily benefit you at the audition.
Thanks for looking at it that way. About 1/2 the tunes were modern pop songs I had never heard until I listened to the setlist. I know how to get through breaks,if not by any other method, keeping 4 on the floor (through breaks etc)...just keep time. On the tunes I did learn, I chatted out the tunes,as well as had looked up the bpm's for each.
Like I said I haven't received any official word. Also, if I had seen the 7 songs on the list, I would have completely charted em, and read through em. If I had any problems memorizing the tunes.
Now, I hope they see some other drummers, and talk it out. As for any clash the female vocalist had with me, the bassist, and guitarist were really excellent. The bassist is a full time music teacher, and the guitarist was great...both real nice guys.
Unfortunately, the vocalist happens to be the end all, be all in this band.
Well that's the impression I strongly felt.
I actually feel really good about my playing, and the connections I had musically with the band.
It still maybe tough down the road to continue work with that vocalist, if I happen to get the gig.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hmmm . . . it's fun playing Dear Abby. But, my bet would be that what you saw in the lady's reaction is probably a personality trait of hers that the band has seen many times. And, if you get the gig, you will probably see many times over again. So, be prepared.

When I'm placed in a situation like that, I always make a bee line to the quirky personality and begin working on them and charming them. People like this are easily manipulated. So, if you get the gig, make her your best chum. I'd say that 90% of these types will come around. The other 10% are a lost cause. In those cases, you make yourself known by your absence.

GeeDeeEmm

Toast Tee

Reaction score
I'd say at this point, it's not only about how well you played, it's now how well you're seen to react to hiccups, speedbumps, perceived slights, and all those things that go beyond skill sets and into the oil of working relationships. Hiccups happen, but it's how we react to them. From here, they take last night's personal interactions and begin judging your character and nature (and you theirs, certainly), and decide how graciously and easily you all work through those kinds things and fit together.
Agreed. I handled it the best I could. Knowing some of the 7 tunes, I asked her to read the list. So the there were tunes on that list I knew, or had leaned. So feeling I needed to stay in good graces, I played the tunes on the list I'd at least listened to, or knew.
I don't know why she even gave me their entire setlist, if I was only required to learn 7.
So, and feedback, positive, or negative would be a great help.. I went on, and picked up the entire list, and said, look, I apologize for the miscomunication, but if you pick any other tune from the full list,I'll most likely know it. We ended up playing 10, or 11 tunes total. Once again I was real happy with how all the tunes came out.
Some people just rub others the wrong way, and that's possible?
Maybe they find someone who can bring to the table what I can? But maybe I end up their only option, especially if they plan on fulfilling their upcoming gigs?
This is a gig I want, and it will probably be a few days before I hear anything.
I've watched some of their demos the have up, and I'm very confident I'd do a better job than the 3 drummers from 3 different demos.
That kind of tells me, she may just be very hard to work with.
Any band I've been a part of has always stayed together for at least a couple years.
I'm also willing to take a look at myself, as I'm replaying the night in my mind. I'm trying to think if there was a way I could have handled it better?

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Hmmm . . . it's fun playing Dear Abby. But, my bet would be that what you saw in the lady's reaction is probably a personality trait of hers that the band has seen many times. And, if you get the gig, you will probably see many times over again. So, be prepared.

When I'm placed in a situation like that, I always make a bee line to the quirky personality and begin working on them and charming them. People like this are easily manipulated. So, if you get the gig, make her your best chum. I'd say that 90% of these types will come around. The other 10% are a lost cause. In those cases, you make yourself known by your absence.

GeeDeeEmm
Well said!

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you saying your audition was actually playing a gig with this band having never played with them before? Talk about trial by fire!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
What were the 7 tunes? (and which did you know)? I'd think if you played some of them well, it would not be an issue, but.....

Toast Tee

Reaction score
What were the 7 tunes? (and which did you know)? I'd think if you played some of them well, it would not be an issue, but.....
I'll have to go look at the email, and copy/paste em (I'm awful at remembering names of tunes). The playing felt as good as ever. I should easily landed that gig.
Like I said, as soon as I said I thought I only received the master set list, and not the audition set list, I felt I could have been Jeff Paccaro, and wouldn't be considered.
She just turned off. The tunes all felt really good. If not for her demeanor, I'd have gotten that gig.
To be fair, I don't know if I got it, or not?
If it comes to a business decision, I'll probably get it, so they can continue their schedule, without missing many dates.
If she wanted me to learn 7 tunes, that's all she should have sent.
Not their entire setlist

Toast Tee

Reaction score
I took this at the Hollywood GC in Feb. Only Jeff, and Bonham 20190223_151924.jpg

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
They asked you to learn 7 tunes and you came prepared to do more than that?
If so, what's the problem?

Or did they ask you to know more tunes? If so, the lesson learned here is to verify what you're expected to know before you audition.

Hindsight is always 20-20.

Toast Tee

Reaction score
They were using 7 tunes they chose (newer dance stuff) for everyone auditioning. I didn't see the email in the convo we were having. I was sent the entire set list too. 73 tunes, so I learned a good portion. Everyone but the fem vox was cool, and happy. She instantly shut me off (gut feeling). I told her I only saw the master list.
I played a few off the list (there were a couple I had heard, and 1, or 2 older tunes I knew. My feeling is she thought I came unprepared.
I just don't know why she would send a master list if I didn't have the gig?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've had band send me full sets before meeting with them. I've looked and said, well I know 20% or more, or jeez, it's mostly country (or whatever) and I didn't want to be in a band with that style/sound and have bowed out without wasting anyone's time rehearsing.

As for the OP, I agree - send 7 songs and keep it simple. Sounds like a landmine was averted IMO......

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Yeah, you're probably right. I don't mind playing "wedding band " music, as I enjoy watching people dance while I'm playing.
I don't know, but she came off as OCD. Not having that 7 song list seemed to have her world. The band is busy, and does fairly well. However seeing a different drummer on all there demo's is a big red flag. The chain conversation went on nearly 30 replies, and after seeing the original list, I wasn't looking for a separate one for that audition.
Either way, I probably did avoid unnecessary drama.
I pride myself on being prepared, on time, while keeping professional attitude. I've never been through anything like that.
Lesson learned

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It was an unintentional miscommunication. The fact it wasn't communicated to you "learn these 7 fing songs or don't bother showing up" and you acknowledging those terms is on them. A drummer with your skill set is auditioning the band as well. Miscommunications and attitudes have to be taken into account. It could be a sign of things to come even if you did get the gig.