header.nohb.html

A Bass Dum Question

Bobby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OK I got a bit of a weird one here. Last night I debuted my lastest aquistion. A 1970 Ludwig SS kit. I absolutely LOVE this kit (Thanks Jon!). Heres the deal: Ive never been a fan of Ludwig curved spurs (especially the older thinner ones). They ALWAYS creep for me (creep nothing, until I tied the drum with rope to my throne I was kicking it across the room). The drum had a few extra holes when I got it, plus I added a Yamaha mount (its a player kit). I used the esisting large hole from the Ludwig double holder (I dont like these either) and had to drill 4 holes for the mount. The other issue is the Yamaha mount is closer to the batter head than normal. Heres my thought. I desperately need to add modern spurs to this drum. I thought I could kill 2 birds with one stone by turning the drum around and adding the spurs where the current batter head is. This will put the Yamaha mount 'further away" or closer to the "new resonant' head. Can anyone see why this might not work? And please purists, as I said, its a PLAYER drum. My question isnt whether or not to drill the drum (that descion is already made), its a question of postioning of the spurs. Thanks in advance for your input!

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
Bobby, do you use a rug under the drums?

I've had pretty good luck with putting the drum up just a little off the floor in the front. Maybe an inch or so. I've also used the older style Ludwig hoop mounted anchor or cleat if you will.

Best thing I've had to work is to put Velcro on the bottom of the pedals. I agree that it's a player drum but if you don't HAVE to drill any more holes ....... :?

Robb

ERWinner

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't have problems with my curved spurs slipping if I bring my matt of short, industrial style carpet and my DW5000 with the velcro on bottom.

Bobby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I do use a rug. I'll try some velcro under my Speed King, maybe that will save me from the dreaded drill. Thanks!

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've always used a rug under my whole kit including the throne. That helps me with my kicks running away. When I had a smaller rug just under the kicks and HH the whole kit would run away! With the rug under everything you are your own anchor. Do you play heel up or heel down? You get more push out of heel up if your doing that try heel down and see if your kick is still moving as much.