A bit of a Poll: If you have a snare drum and at least one floor tom...

Barden

Reaction score
If you have a snare drum and at least one floor tom (hanging or not), which batter head is higher in elevation?

I setup my drums yesterday in a bit of a hurry and later realized that my snare was taller by about 2" from my 14" floor tom. It didn't pose much of a problem, but wasn't ideal. Got me thinking that you all may have strong opinions on the matter.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My snare is a tad higher than my floor toms. I think their is no standard though. It's whatever your comfortable with. Every drummer has his own way of setting things up and positioning and that includes the height of the drums.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
My snare is just a smidge higher than the floor tom. Both are angled to my ergonomic taste, with the snare angled away from me, and the FT angled toward me. Just a couple degrees.

Ghostin one

Reaction score
I prefer to have them the same height or very close, but the Gretsch Renown I have is the first floor tom I've run across that doesn't come with legs that are way too long - I wish the legs were an inch taller.

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Snare is an inch or two higher. I would probably have the floor tom a little higher, but it is at the limit of it's legs.