A bit of a Poll: If you have a snare drum and at least one floor tom...

Bonzo442

Reaction score
Snare a little higher and flat so stick is almost parallel to the floor when it hits snare and rim is accessible if needed. Floor Tom slightly lower for better control. Snare should be at best position first above all others.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They're about the same height. My snare tilts up toward the rack toms. I play matched grip. Floor toms tilt in toward me a bit.
The important thing to me is that all are high enough to allow rim shots. Yes, even the floor toms.

drumdevil9

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My snare is higher because of rimshot backbeats. But it's nothing crazy. Maybe a couple of inches.

rock roll

Reaction score
They're about the same height. My snare tilts up toward the rack toms. I play matched grip. Floor toms tilt in toward me a bit.
The important thing to me is that all are high enough to allow rim shots. Yes, even the floor toms.
Agree on the rim shot

Ptrick

Reaction score
Floor Tom slightly lower. Snare level, floor Tom front leg just a touch lower so it is angled towards me a bit.

Years ago I was having back troubles, had a physical therapist who specialized in kinesiology help me set up my kit, and she mentioned that as the human body moves from center left or right, it is easier on the body to have things slightly lower than center. Works for me.

Ringofanatic1940

Reaction score
Ditto, except I play traditional grip, so the snare is slightly angled down towards the BD.
The funny thing about my setup is that I tilt the snare towards the bass drum but I still play matched grip. Because of my high throne, if I try to play matched grip on a level snare my wrists are in an odd position when playing rimshots

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't know because I don't really think of the snare and floor tom in regards to each other (even though they're like a foot apart, haha). My snare/hi-hat/rack tom are grouped together, then the floor tom is positioned with regards to the ride cymbal. But if I had to guess, I'd say the snare may be slightly higher if they're not the same.

Latest posts