A Bit of Insight... Jason Bonham Remembers His Late Father, John Bonham of Led Zeppelin.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
That was very cool; thanks for posting.

True story: back in the late 90s, I saw his band in a bar in Richmond, KY. My band was opening for another band down the street; after we were done, I went over and saw Jason play. It was not a pretty sight. Jason was either drunk, high, both, or otherwise was not having a good night. I was unimpressed. "What a waste," I told my friend, and left, saddened.
Years later, I heard he got sober. Hoping he could somehow avoid the same fate as his father, I saw that he was once again playing nearby. I couldn't make it to the show that night (this had to be the early 2000s, I'd guess). Another drummer friend of mine did go, and told me his playing was great....tight, in command, and blew everyone away. I almost didn't believe him, but then I began hearing similar accounts that he had gotten his stuff together and was back with a vengeance. Now look at him....he has totally turned his life around, and what a drummer he is!

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man, what a huge shadow to live under. I'm halfway surprised that Jason doesn't refuse to play Zep songs anymore.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I saw the Jason Bonham Zeppelin Experience (not sure the exact name) about 8 years ago and it was fantastic. I wouldn't hesitate to catch him again with any band if given the chance.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Saw this recently as well. I like Sammy Hagar and found his interview portion interesting too. I would think Jason would get a bit tired of answering questions about his father instead of where he's going with his personal career, but he seems to be very gracious about it. There are certainly still legions of fans of his dad as well, so I guess he has a positive role in maintaining that legacy too.

cozy4ever

Reaction score
I dig Jason's style, been listening to him since "The Disregard of Timekeeping". Too bad he has to live in the old man's shadow so much as I think he's a great talent in his own right!

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree with the comments about Jason being gracious regarding the constant questions about his youth and his dad. There are lots of artists out there that are sons & daughters of famous people, and they specify before interviews, "No questions about the role my mother or father played in me getting a big break." Jason is refreshingly honest about being Bonzo's son.

johnlamond

Voiceover guy
Reaction score
Jason is an amazing drummer and I mean REALLY amazing, but he does not have that "feel" that his dad had. Bonzo had what I call the "x-factor" in his playing that only a few people have.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I thought they were a pretty good band, a bit under rated, at the time... Thanks for posting that up!

Bonzo442

Reaction score
Jason is an amazing drummer and I mean REALLY amazing, but he does not have that "feel" that his dad had. Bonzo had what I call the "x-factor" in his playing that only a few people have.
I so agree with this post. I’ve seen people that can play moby dick and sound almost exact but
That little something is missing. You see his solos and something that didn’t seem that difficult he made sound great. I guess inate sense of timing and the quiet spaces in between the notes. He also never seemed to rush anything and it’s hard to play that slow and sound great. Most drummers will usually rush it.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like the way he said that when his father played his junior kit that his father's technique made those drums sound great and much like his regular set.

Its not so much the drums. Its the drummer!

Buffalo_drummer

Reaction score
I think the problem for me is he tries to emulate his father so much. Every band seems to sound like a D-rate Zepplin band. He even drummed occasionally for some Zepplin tribute bands?! If you want to get out from your fathers shadow, maybe he should playing music that doesn't sound like his father's.