A Buddy on Johnny Carson I did not know existed....

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Someone posted this a few months ago and it is still a refreshing view of Buddy. I'm not a huge Buddy fan but this video kicked my butt. He grooved and was funky and played his butt off.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
Someone posted this a few months ago and it is still a refreshing view of Buddy. I'm not a huge Buddy fan but this video kicked my butt. He grooved and was funky and played his butt off.
Glad I could have been the one to post again for these folks who missed it.

psych o pated

Reaction score
ok

man how can I find other trios like this? doesn't have to be buddy

yes he does go matched!

the bass player is badass

coooooooool stuff, thank you

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok

man how can I find other trios like this? doesn't have to be buddy

yes he does go matched!

the bass player is badass

coooooooool stuff, thank you
Not a trio but look up Mahavishnu Orchestra with Billy Cobham

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This should have been posted in that other thread asking what makes Buddy special.

One of the things brought up there was whether Buddy could play in odd time signatures. I think this might answer that. Although...what would time signatures even mean to a drummer who doesn't read music and plays everything from memory?

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
This should have been posted in that other thread asking what makes Buddy special.

One of the things brought up there was whether Buddy could play in odd time signatures. I think this might answer that. Although...what would time signatures even mean to a drummer who doesn't read music and plays everything from memory?
Is there another thread featuring this video? There is a ton load of threads about Buddy.

After watching this video I thought it was unique enough to stand on its own. I just thought this was super cool. I could not locate any other threads of this video.

I did not try to study his technique, I just found it highly enjoyable. And, in the past Buddy did break away from his typical style.

So that came as no surprise to me. For back in the 70's I had two albums by Buddy that showed him going off the farm. One was a real blues album. Another, was with Ravi Shankar.

Just have not seen this video on YouTube before, and thought others here would find it refreshing.

Last edited:

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
GeneZ....here's the prior one & discussion....I posted it back in October, always puts a smile on my face, a different Buddy than we all usually see for sure....top notch!

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I knew this sounded somewhat familiar That I heard something like this before....

Apparently, Buddy was developing this concept for a while.

Ha, complete with Ludwig's patented rivet-on wrap seam!!

Good one, handn't seen him with the Pops! Excellent!

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i've always been a buddy fan, but am i the only one that thinks his snare sounded like $hit. really hard to listen to.
No, you're not! Needs a bit lower tuning and a wallet in the Pops performance...!

(COB Supra guy here)

Skyrm

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, love that clip. My Dad took me to see Buddy twice, once with his full big band, and once with a quartet AND the Cleveland Orchestra. That show must have been around this period. Just fantastic!

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there another thread featuring this video? There is a ton load of threads about Buddy.

After watching this video I thought it was unique enough to stand on its own. I just thought this was super cool. I could not locate any other threads of this video.

I did not try to study his technique, I just found it highly enjoyable. And, in the past Buddy did break away from his typical style.

So that came as no surprise to me. For back in the 70's I had two albums by Buddy that showed him going off the farm. One was a real blues album. Another, was with Ravi Shankar.

Just have not seen this video on YouTube before, and thought others here would find it refreshing.
I didn't mean that you shouldn't have started this thread, just that this video would have been a good example clip to post in another recent thread about Buddy asking what was so special about his drumming ability.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
GeneZ....here's the prior one & discussion....I posted it back in October, always puts a smile on my face, a different Buddy than we all usually see for sure....top notch!

No wonder I could not find it. Keyword "BR" will not pop up in a search. Unless I caught it back then, there was no way for me to know. I looked for keyword "Buddy. " :coffee2: