A Buddy on Johnny Carson I did not know existed....

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
For those who never heard of the phrase "Smile for the cameras" - don't get hung up on the dignity comment, it was a self censored alternative to a much stronger comment that I really wanted to write regarding "paycheck".

The paycheck, name, status and profile doesn't have a bearing here.

It would be great if the musical dictator would shut up for a microsecond so we could hear the other two guy's musical contributions instead a bunch of filler canned whitebread drum licks including the cheesy crossovers and then wannabe bigband funk impression.

Buddy absolutely musically stomped over the other two guys. The reason why his funk emulation falls flat is he doesn't leave space.

The best part was when he stopped playing.
Jealousy blinds people who are trapped by it..... I guess that saying is true.

Buddy was a genius behind drums. So be it.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Does not compute.
He was at Berkley to start with. But don't let that prevent you from removing his agency and ascribing it to Buddy Rich.

He didn't learn any of this stuff from playing in Buddy's band. Zip, zilch, nadda

I need a click track for making points? Obviously you missed it.

Learning from Buddy? What are you talking about? Of course he was a great player. That is why Buddy chose him for his big band. Buddy found out about him at Berkee school of music.

Last edited:

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here is Wayne Pedzwater's obituary.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituarie...h/name/wayne-pedzwater-obituary?pid=181924869

Here is what it says about Buddy Rich starting off Wayne's direction and popularity with other musicians later on.

Wayne graduated from Valley High School in 1974 and then attended Berklee College of Music. His career began right from Berklee when Buddy Rich heard him play and tapped him to be the bass player for the Buddy Rich Orchestra. Eventually, Wayne became a soloist with the band, performing all over the world and on national television.
In 1980, he moved to New York City to join the legendary session scene recording with artists such as John Lennon and Yoko Ono on the "Milk & Honey" album, Jeff Beck and Robert Plant as one of the Honey Drippers, Terence Trent D'Arby, The Rolling Stones and Michael Jackson. Wayne also toured with artists such as Blood, Sweat & Tears, Paul Simon and Bette Midler to name just a few.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The great Wayne Pedzwater on bass. Played with Blood Sweat and Tears on top of other stellar musicians. Super fluid and made Buddy's band better (and hipper).

Played with one of Biuddy's bass players too (Curtis Ohlson).
Best line I ever heard was when I asked him if he was still playing at the Pasand jazz lounge in Berkeley.
His retort was not until they take back what they said about me.(which was you're fired).

SY-ya-nara

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
he was a character
You may call him a character but man I’ve met so many of those stars that were oh well I can’t speak of the dead so I can’t name all the jerks that were popular. Actual disgraces to humanity!

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does not compute.
He was at Berkley to start with. But don't let that prevent you from removing his agency and ascribing it to Buddy Rich.

He didn't learn any of this stuff from playing in Buddy's band. Zip, zilch, nadda

And here all this time, I thought Buddy would take beginners and teach them everything they know instead of experienced students from major schools looking to build a pro resume. Thank you for setting the record straight.

44Ronin

Reaction score
Jealousy blinds people who are trapped by it..... I guess that saying is true.

Buddy was a genius behind drums. So be it.

What exactly am I blinded about?

A genius, but he didn't have enough genius spare to suppress his ego and give the other guys musical space, it was all spent on the flashy stuff. It was so awkward and forced, buddy was playing but not listening to what they were doing, let alone playing in a unit.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
What exactly am I blinded about?

A genius, but he didn't have enough genius spare to suppress his ego and give the other guys musical space, it was all spent on the flashy stuff. It was so awkward and forced, buddy was playing but not listening to what they were doing, let alone playing in a unit.

Please .. Stick with your own favorite flavor, for yourself.

Do not impose your personal taste upon others like you have been doing.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don’t get that he is trying to impose his personal taste on others ???
OK... you don't.

In that one cut Buddy, yes, was the spotlighted performer. But, he always was on the Johnny Carson show.

In his regular gigs other musicians had their own solo spots. But, he was obviously a master and people came to see him and to also appreciate the band.

Last edited:

44Ronin

Reaction score
OK... you don't.

In that one cut Buddy, yes, was the spotlighted performer. But, he always was on the Johnny Carson show.

In his regular gigs other musicians had their own solo spots. But, he was obviously a master and people came to see him and to also appreciate the band.
On forums and such, the sad fact of the matter is, that people hardly share buddy not being flashy. There's a reason why the timestamp skipped Tony Bennett. The fatigue sets in.

How about something like this?

el_37

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It is interesting to see this clip, but it is also cutting edge for 1970-1973 style playing being performed in 1980. But it was a refreshing change from the normal Buddy clips.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
On forums and such, the sad fact of the matter is, that people hardly share buddy not being flashy. There's a reason why the timestamp skipped Tony Bennett. The fatigue sets in.

How about something like this?

Ironically... this video shows just the opposite of the first video complaint by some here. In this video both the pianist and bass player out shined Buddy as he took the back seat...