A couple of timpani pieces in response to the general thread on timpani.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
Playing “Superman” with a concert band made up of alumni of my high school for the band’s 90th anniversary. John Williams has always been one of my favorite composers...his brother Don is a timpanist, which may account for his challenging timpani Parts.

Solo cadenza with small concert band. Improvised solo.

Last edited:

REF

Reaction score
That was cool. John Williams. Always "goose bump city" for me.

That solo was great. I have to ask. Do you own tymps or is it always an orchestra that owns them? I used to have a fiberglass tymp as part of my drum set 40 years ago. If you do own your own set of tymps, have you ever set up cymbals and other things around it all and gotten into sound variation just for fun or does it stay strict tympani practice and that's it?

Reactions: CSR

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. I do own an old set of three copper bowl Slingerland that I refurbished, but the 2 concert bands, 1 church, and an orchestra that I play with all own full sets. If necessary, I can add one of my to supplement. I use my set to rehearse difficult passages that come up.

John Williams writes very challenging, but fun, timp parts. I discovered that his brother Don is a timpanist. I’ll attach a videoclip if him playing 9 timpani in a recording session. (Around 1:45).

Last edited:

REF

Reaction score
Having just watched the Incredibles 2 dvd a month ago that was really interesting.

Man, that was some serious body movement on that tympani section.

Latest posts