A Custom

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Never really explored those. I have a crash. Its nice. What about the rest?

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Elvis, I'm relatively new to them too. I got my first A Customs a couple of years ago and they've become my go to crashes and hats. Here's what I think about them:

My crashes are A Custom 15" and 17". I've thought I might want to eventually get a larger one too, but so far I haven't noticed a need for it. I've always liked something responsive and bright (maybe more so now that my hearing isn't what it used to be), and these give me a good consistant bright crash with both light and hard hits. These are about the best crashes I've found at doing those things. They're about the same feel as A's but more responsive and they've got a glorious and easily-controlled swell when you want it.

My hats are 14" A Custom Mastersounds. I've tried and sold some 15's a couple of years ago and I'm one of the apparent few people who don't care for that size hats. My 14's are just right. They give a good contrast to the low end and they cut through the guitar, easy to play tight or sloshy, never any suction issues - just easy, bright, and loud. Love the things.

I still use a 20" A for my ride, and I doubt I'll ever change that.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like the A custom crashes a lot. Never got along with the hi-hats. They seem to get lost in the mix. The only ride I like is the A Custom Ping. My favorite Z hi-hats are K Custom and Zildjian Mastersound. What I liked most about the A customs when they first came out is that they have a smoother finish and are much easier to clean than traditional deep grooved Zildjians. However, they do show fingerprints very easily. Sound-wise, crashes are typically a little thinner and don't have so many goofy overtones. That said, my favorite cymbals today are Zildjian Ks and Paiste Signatures.

drumstuff66

Reaction score
I'm with everyone else regarding the A Custom crashes - I love them for all reasons everyone's talked about. I especially like the 17" and actually sought out a second one from the same era my first one is from. If I bring only one crash it's the 17". I recently picked up an 18" and love it as well. I've even used it a crash/ride on a couple of gigs and it worked. Though obviously more wash than ping, the bell on the 18" is significantly bigger than on the 17" and though light, I liked it better than some "real" crash/rides I've played.

I also have 13" Hats and a 20" Ride. I've used the hats as an aux pair back in the day, but rarely as the main pair - I'm just a New Beat guy I guess. They don't get much stand time at all these days.

The ride is interesting - I don't always love it as I sit behind the kit, but I've heard recordings of it and it sounds really nice. Not my favorite ride, but I still hang on to it knowing I'll use it again...

Here's the weights for those into that stuff (I am!)

13" Hats (1999) - 811g/1020g
17" Crash (1996) - 1168g
17" Crash (1999) - 1149g
18" Crash (1999) - 1388g
20" Ride (1999) - 2300g

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I only have one, a 14" thin crash, but I like it a lot.

I see them going for pretty cheap, which is interesting considering their pedigree as "Vinnie's Zildjians".

Had\has me thinking of checking out some other sizes and models.

Right now too busy "learning" my K and (redesign) A set ups and how to best i corporate them into what I am doing though.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Everyone was buying A Customs a few years ago when they were "the new thing". Now, the market is flooded with used ones at great prices. I agree with the comment above, the 17" A Custom crash is my favorite of all of them. It just sits right in the mix.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I keep a 20 Flat ( 2000g) and tried a Ride years ago but brought it back.
Lighter sound little sparklier than

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
About fifteen years ago, I fell in love with a 20 A Custom Ride I played on a permanent kit at church. Played quite a few others during that time period. Seemed like I never bought any though. I finally broke down and started shopping for a set of these in the last two years. Unfortunately, I haven't located a ride I like. They don't respond the same as the one's I've played in the past ... maybe thicker? I honestly don't know. I just know they ain't the same feel.
I did manage to snag an 18 and a 19 crash, though. Both are phenomenal. Just perfect for where they sit. "Smooth" is a great word someone has used ... spot on. So responsive and so sonically smooth at all levels of force. Just unreal crashes.
I did note that the mass plays a significant role in the textures of the cymbal response ... all else being equal ... i.e. not all 19 crashes are equal when mass is the variable. I found a 19 crash that was significantly higher pitched than a 17 I was looking at. I also found a trio of 18 crashes that had enough separation between them to be used within a single setup. There's some serious funk happening there and you really do need to CAREFULLY select your personal cymbal.

I'm still looking for a Ride and a set of Hats. I'm patient.

But the A Customs are great cymbals! I hung out with the Zildjian A line of cymbals off and on throughout my life. They have never sat perfectly with me, though. "Harsh" would be a word I have used over the years to describe the A cymbals. I guess that's why the A Customs push my buttons so well.

Last edited:

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Isn't that one of the first signs of aging-everything was "yesterday"?

Thirty years....THIRTY YEARS!!!!!???? Seriously strugglng wth that....

Lol
Agreed lol! It seems like yesterday being in my local drum shop watching Vinnie play the "new" AC's. 30 years ughh

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
And I think the most representative track in practice-applied..

yep track 8.
AI hive mind human memory cloud for the win..
I knew that. (as did you some of you)

Last edited:

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Vinnie: "I approached Zildjian Paiste and said, I have an idea. And Zildjian Paiste said, we have an idea too, let's get together.."

Maybe Vinnie's ears changed and the A Customs just weren't working anymore?

I still think Vinnie was trying to invent Zildjian "Paistes" when they came out with the A Custom line...lol.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been playing A Customs for about 20 years. At that time I bought a set of 14" hats, 16 and 18" crashes, and a 22" ride.
I still have the crashes, though now my typical setup is the 18 and a 20" crash. I even had a 14" crash for a little while but sold it because it seemed too much like a splash for my liking. I've also played 16 and 18" AC Fast crashes in smaller settings and they are great. They have all the things I love about the regular crashes with a "faster" decay. I don't have experience with the AC Medium or Rezo crashes but I've heard good things from recordings.
The AC hats are articulate and bright, but I felt like they were a little thin sounding compared to New Beats (which is all I use now in 15"). This was before the Projection hats came out, so maybe they bridge that gap. I'd like to check out the 15" Mastersounds some time.
The 22" AC ride was a little washy for me, but had good articulation on top of the wash if that makes sense. I've played the Medium ride and it was kinda clangy to me from behind the kit, but sounds great from the audience. Good definition and great bell.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Since the early 90's I have had several sets of A Custom. I am thinking at least 6 big sets of them with at least 10-12 cymbals each time. I always like them in the beginning, and then end up adding K's into the mix, and then eventually going all K's, and then selling them all.

Since getting into the 602 ME and Masters, I have been able to stay interested and hang onto these for 3 years now, a record for me. I have also added a big set of Sabian HHX/AAX and like them much better than the A Custom/K route. Not sure why, but I just don't seem to find Zils that interest me anymore.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
The ride is interesting - I don't always love it as I sit behind the kit, but I've heard recordings of it and it sounds really nice. Not my favorite ride, but I still hang on to it knowing I'll use it again...

20" Ride (1999) - 2300g
Is your ride a "Ride" or a "Medium Ride"?
Can you expound on what it is about that ride that you don't love?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
able to stay interested
Have to admit- that's an important point. You know what I've found the champion of that is....don't ya.

Old Ks. minimum 50 year interest. Unerring. Unlike any other.
Just from a cymbal viewpoint in that one category: interest holder.
Because the musicality in them is just..complete.
Not a wrong or right thing. Just is.
"in all my travels as the facts unravel I found this to be true"

Last edited: