A Custom

drumstuff66

Reaction score
Is your ride a "Ride" or a "Medium Ride"?
Can you expound on what it is about that ride that you don't love?
I have the straight up "Ride" and when I play it by itself, or with just the kit, it does seem have a little of that "clang" someone mentioned. It can also start to build up the wash when laying into it, maybe losing some definition...

No issues at all with it in a live band or recording situation. It sits very well in the mix. The bell, btw, is great IMO...

I say it's not my favorite only because my other rides are a 60's A Medium (2285g), a Hollow Logo Ping (2629g) and an EAK (2423g)...all 20"...one of those three always seem to get chosen over the A Custom - usually the 60's Medium or the K for most things and the Ping on louder rock gigs - but I definitally consider the A Custom a keeper...

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't want to come across as saying my way is the only way to go, BUT: I think if you've got a couple of A Custom crashes, then going with a 20" A Medium Thin Ride or A Medium Thin Crash/Ride (same cymbal) instead of an A Custom Ride gives that little bit of balance I want from the brightness of the crashes and gives a fuller crash option when you want it. I've been using this setup for a couple of years now and my other cymbals have been on a shelf for the most part.

So anyway, that's the only way to do it right. :-D

SKINZ

Reaction score
I have a 20 A CUSTOM FLATRIDE AND A 18 EFX CRASH n mix em with PAISTE SOUND CREATIONS and 2002 also some Ks :cool:

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
A Customs have been my main setup for a long time, 15+ years. I use a 20" A Custom Ping ride, and I have 14/15/16/17 A Custom crashes. I use any three of the crashes depending on the gig. The hats are non-custom 'A Mastersounds', and I also use 70's A hats sometimes. These all work together well. I've recorded with them and they sound good to me.

Latest posts