header.nohb.html

A cymbalholic at journey's end (aka the best set of cymbals I will ever put together)

curly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Forgive the long post. I've been a bit of a cymbal nerd for about two decades now and feel like I've finally found my own personal mountaintop of sounds.

First, some backstory. I joined the cymbalholic forum in the early aughts and was active there until it ended. Like many, I have bought and sold a lot of cymbals...perhaps I've sold around 100 in total as a rough estimate (very rough). But I've arrived at a point I don't find myself as interested in chasing other sounds, really, for the first time well...ever. And I've lucked into what I think is the best singular set of cymbals I've ever had. Brian Blade has always been one of my favorite drummers for more reasons than I can quickly espouse. Brian could play anything and sound like himself, obviously as its his spirit that can't be re-created. That said, I also loved some of his cymbal sounds. The 24 old A main ride, the sibilant left side, and the old K con 22 on the far right. I don't know that I was consciously in search of exactly that same framework of sounds but it's where I've arrived.

24 3200g 60s small stamp A
22 2300g Funch inspired by a Spizz TW
22 2200g Lauritsen (probably a rustico)
16 1000g/1100g 50s/60s A hats.

Thing is, I've had many wonderful cymbals, but never a set that worked so well in terms of complimentary and contrasting sounds as these. I didn't buy any of them with the idea they would be a set (I don't think I have that vision). I bought each because I liked them individually and in a happy accident they mesh beautifully.

First a couple of videos then some details on each of the cymbals. I'll get some pics up when the site I use to host pictures is cooperating. All the videos are iphone vidoes with no processing. And yes, the overheads are taken with my phone perched on the hvac duct in my basement.

A short open solo

Some grooves, same cymbals except for a 22 2200g Jesse Simpson Sizzle on the left instead of the Funch.

A longer clip of open playing, much rougher overall, but with more dynamic range.

Main: 24 60s small stamp old A (THE GOAT). It all started for me with this 24 (and the reason I own multiple 24s now). There was a time on cymbalholic when 24 As were in vogue (Brian Blade!) and I picked this up in 2009 from badass groove monster George Sluppick. Before George, it belonged to Zak Najor and may have been played on some of the Greyboy Allstar sides. It is the one cymbal I can say with conviction I will never sell. I'll play other cymbals for a while but always come back and it feels like coming home. It is THAT cymbal for me. Deeply patina'd, biggish kinda funky bell, just a little bit of edge warp, and so much mojo.

Left: Funch 22 2300g. This one is freaking dynamite. I got it directly from Lasse and suprisingly, it sat on his site for a day after the release. I think its one of the best cymbals he's made. Lasse made it after he stopped using series but told me it was inspired by a Spizzichino Tony Williams. I think it gets at that vibe but with Lasse's own thing. Complex, deliciously trashy, explosive but dynamic, a perfect amount of dryness. One of the most hammered cymbals I've seen and the bell bridge is slightly inverted.

Right: Lauritsen 22 2200g. The used cymbal marked is a funny thing. This beauty was sold used by Boston Drum Shop and later resurfaced with Hazelshould, which is who I bought it from. I can't find a video of Craig's for it so I'm not sure what series, but my guess is Rustico. The hammering and the sonic characteristics are right for that line of Craigs with gentle complexity, subtle but integrated sibilance, and like all Craig's cymbals, so internally in tune. A beautiful light ride and gorgeous crash.

Hats: Mixed 50s/60s As that are quite light at ~1000g/1100g. The final piece to the puzzle and I got them via Rochester Drum Trade last month. Big and sloshy but also nice and crisp.

Last edited:

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have no interest in buying a buttload of cymbals. My cymbals are fine and I will use them till they break.

jb111

Reaction score
Forgive the long post. I've been a bit of a cymbal nerd for about two decades now and feel like I've finally found my own personal mountaintop of sounds.

First, some backstory. I joined the cymbalholic forum in the early aughts and was active there until it ended. Like many, I have bought and sold a lot of cymbals...perhaps I've sold around 100 in total as a rough estimate (very rough). But I've arrived at a point I don't find myself as interested in chasing other sounds, really, for the first time well...ever. And I've lucked into what I think is the best singular set of cymbals I've ever had. Brian Blade has always been one of my favorite drummers for more reasons than I can quickly espouse. Brian could play anything and sound like himself, obviously as its his spirit that can't be re-created. That said, I also loved some of his cymbal sounds. The 24 old A main ride, the sibilant left side, and the old K con 22 on the far right. I don't know that I was consciously in search of exactly that same framework of sounds but it's where I've arrived.

Thing is, I've had many wonderful cymbals, but never a set that worked so well in terms of complimentary and contrasting sounds as these. I didn't buy any of them with the idea they would be a set (I don't think I have that vision). I bought each because I liked them individually and in a happy accident they mesh beautifully.

First a couple of videos then some details on each of the cymbals. I'll get some pics up when the site I use to host pictures is cooperating. All the videos are iphone vidoes with no processing. And yes, the overheads are taken with my phone perched on the hvac duct in my basement.

A short open solo

Some grooves, same cymbals except for a 22 2200g Jesse Simpson Sizzle on the left instead of the Funch.

A longer clip of open playing, much rougher overall, but with more dynamic range.

Main: 24 60s small stamp old A (THE GOAT). It all started for me with this 24 (and the reason I own multiple 24s now). There was a time on cymbalholic when 24 As were in vogue (Brian Blade!) and I picked this up in 2009 from badass groove monster George Sluppick. Before George, it belonged to Zak Najor and may have been played on some of the Greyboy Allstar sides. It is the one cymbal I can say with conviction I will never sell. I'll play other cymbals for a while but always come back and it feels like coming home. It is THAT cymbal for me. Deeply patina'd, biggish kinda funky bell, just a little bit of edge warp, and so much mojo.

Left: Funch 22 2300g. This one is freaking dynamite. I got it directly from Lasse and suprisingly, it sat on his site for a day after the release. I think its one of the best cymbals he's made. Lasse made it after he stopped using series but told me it was inspired by a Spizzichino Tony Williams. I think it gets at that vibe but with Lasse's own thing. Complex, deliciously trashy, explosive but dynamic, a perfect amount of dryness. One of the most hammered cymbals I've seen and the bell bridge is slightly inverted.

Right: Lauritsen 22 2200g. The used cymbal marked is a funny thing. This beauty was sold used by Boston Drum Shop and later resurfaced with Hazelshould, which is who I bought it from. I can't find a video of Craig's for it so I'm not sure what series, but my guess is Rustico. The hammering and the sonic characteristics are right for that line of Craigs with gentle complexity, subtle but integrated sibilance, and like all Craig's cymbals, so internally in tune. A beautiful light ride and gorgeous crash.

Hats: Mixed 50s/60s As that are quite light at ~1000g/1100g. The final piece to the puzzle and I got them via Rochester Drum Trade last month. Big and sloshy but also nice and crisp.

That's wild; Sluppick and I were just talking about that 24 a couple weeks back. Didn't realize it went to you. Stoked to hear you've arrived at a place you can really sit with.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score

A short open solo

Nice set of cymbals. Presuming the main cymbal in the 3rd video is the 24”. I would never have thought that a 3200 g cymbol could be so dark, buttery, and crashable! Congratulations!

curly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice set of cymbals. Presuming the main cymbal in the 3rd video is the 24”. I would never have thought that a 3200 g cymbol could be so dark, buttery, and crashable! Congratulations!

You are correct, the 24 is the main ride in all the videos. And yes, it is all those things! Rivets, and it has one in right now, give it just a little more spread.

curly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's wild; Sluppick and I were just talking about that 24 a couple weeks back. Didn't realize it went to you. Stoked to hear you've arrived at a place you can really sit with.

I have gigged the 24 more than any other cymbal. Its the only cymbal I've had other musicians constantly request and even try to buy off of me at gigs. I'm likely going to have Paul Francis make a copy of it. I've been really impressed with the copies of other cymbals he's posted on IG, including some old Ks.

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Huge sounds! Far right has a real low bell/bridge tone in there. I think I heard that kinds of sound first with Brian Blade's cymbals, particularly the KCon, a fat tone "under" the music.

Pink69

Reaction score
I like the sound of the hihats a lot. What is the size of your bass drum?

curly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Huge sounds! Far right has a real low bell/bridge tone in there. I think I heard that kinds of sound first with Brian Blade's cymbals, particularly the KCon, a fat tone "under" the music.

Yes, I agree about the low bell/bridge tone!

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
It’s a nice feeling to be done (at least mostly, right?) Then the focus becomes about making great music. I probably have too many pies myself, but I have now what I like and use…so I’m good with it. The thinner old A 24s seem hard to come by, so hang onto it. Mine is super light at around 2800 grams. I got mine from Maxwell’s shop, and it’s been about 10 years ago. Time flies. I’m a fan of many sounds (which basically happen to be Zildjian), and that early Brian 24 is always a favorite.

But I’ve also decided it’s basically a Zildjian thing to my ears. Because I can hear a brand new K 22, and even an A Custom 22, and they just sound great to me.

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent Curly, it’s been fun and inspiring (and expensive!) to watch your journey and participate alongside. I don’t think you give yourself enough credit - you've always seemed to have a direction, even if it wasn’t clear at the tine

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congrats! I have mostly been playing the same cymbals for about 10 years, except a "recent" addition 4 years ago, so I can definitely relate.