header.nohb.html

A cymbalholic at journey's end (aka the best set of cymbals I will ever put together)

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for offering so much insight to this thread , it is much appreciated!!
You’re welcome. Absolutely it’s insight related to the thread. I ended up buying two cymbals more than the two I wanted, and a second set of hi hats. So now I’m also a cymbalholic at journey’s end.

curly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I miss cymbalholic... And all the 'My final set of cymbals ever!!' posts ;) But still congrats on your setup!

Rallaei! Great to see you here. I too miss cymalholic, but like other aspects of the internet of that era it had its time and the landscape is different now.

Ah! I didn't say last set, I just said the best set ;)

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats on your accomplishment! I’m nearing that point myself, but have trouble parting with some great sounding cymbals that I don’t really need.

TPC

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been a bit of a cymbal nerd for about two decades now and feel like I've finally found my own personal mountaintop of sounds.
Haha! Nice try, Eric.

Give him a month, folks. He'll be scouring Funch's site or emailing Nolan as sure as I'm sitting here.

(BTW, nice cymbals.)

curly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Haha! Nice try, Eric.

Give him a month, folks. He'll be scouring Funch's site or emailing Nolan as sure as I'm sitting here.

(BTW, nice cymbals.)

Hi, my name is Eric and I'm a cymbalholic.

(I haven't done either of those things yet...and I never said I wasn't going to buy another cymbal!)

D. B. Cooper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Eric and I'm a cymbalholic.

(I haven't done either of those things yet...and I never said I wasn't going to buy another cymbal!)

That 24 is so cool. Congrats on the soulmate.

Those hats though!
Holy wah.
Fantastic.
Did you have to experiment with some other cymbals before you arrived at that combo?

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can’t stop with cymbals. It’s a disease. Used, new, custom cymabalsmith or name brand, it’s all the same to me. I need the fix and I need it bad. That giant hunk of gleaming round brass, that ping and crash, those washy overtones, it’ll never end. I, I don’t want it to end… I’m not ready.

curly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That 24 is so cool. Congrats on the soulmate.

Those hats though!
Holy wah.
Fantastic.
Did you have to experiment with some other cymbals before you arrived at that combo?

Overall? Yes. I’ve been playing the 24 for over a decade with many different cymbals around it. Prior to this I would have a 21 Lauritsen rustico Turk, the Simpson sizzle, a trans stamp, etc on the left. I wouldn’t play this Funch likely in louder situations as it’s more of a ride than a crash and would likely move the 22 Lauritsen to the left as it’s a glorious crash.

But for the hats, as much as I’ve been a cymbalholic I’ve never gone through a lot of hats. I have a set of 14 Sabian HH Manhattan hats I’ve had forever and play a lot with the 24. More recently it was a set of 15 Lauritsens I still really like. But the 16s have this synergistic thing with the 24.

Last edited:

curly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Haha! Nice try, Eric.

(BTW, nice cymbals.)

1672461701868.png

Some of that may have transpired.

paulwells73

Reaction score
I’m glad you revived this thread - I somehow missed it back in October. Man, what an outstanding set of cymbals! The As are just outstanding and exhibit everything we love about old Quincy made Zildjians. And the crashes on the Funch and Lauritsen are so beautiful and the pitches are perfectly complimentary. The drums are lovely as well.

Can’t wait to see what you’ve got up next!

curly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m glad you revived this thread - I somehow missed it back in October. Man, what an outstanding set of cymbals! The As are just outstanding and exhibit everything we love about old Quincy made Zildjians. And the crashes on the Funch and Lauritsen are so beautiful and the pitches are perfectly complimentary. The drums are lovely as well.

Can’t wait to see what you’ve got up next!

Thanks Paul!

The drums are Gary Summit's work. Short stack curly maple solid shells (12x6, 14x7, 20x10) inspired by the old N&C star drums. One of my favorite sets I've owned and so fun to play. The snare is a Sugar Percussion 14x4 Sitka Spruce.

As far as up next...well...I finally bought a couple of old Ks.

paulwells73

Reaction score
Thanks Paul!

The drums are Gary Summit's work. Short stack curly maple solid shells (12x6, 14x7, 20x10) inspired by the old N&C star drums. One of my favorite sets I've owned and so fun to play. The snare is a Sugar Percussion 14x4 Sitka Spruce.

As far as up next...well...I finally bought a couple of old Ks.
We demand details.