A different direction

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Im not quite sure where to put this thread?
Anyway, enough fooling around, and trying to rig my recording gear only to make a decent recording/vid every once in a blue.
I went out, and got the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd generation.
Everything has been super easy to set up until this point.
This might be normal, but I'm not sure?
I have Abelton live 10, but decided to start with the Lite version to get accustom.
Like i said, so far so good, except, i get a message saying "The clock is locked"
Does anyone know if this is normal?
One other discrepancy from the videois, i don't have the option to change the buffer size.
On the video, it shows it can scroll down to select, but on my PC, I'm not getting that option.
Being the Scarlett is probably the most used interface, im hoping someone could help me out?
I hope the recording process will be this easy, but even if there's a learning curve, at least I'll be able to get "real" sounding recordings
Thanks

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
It may be the Live Lite version has the clock locked. Additionally I have heard that Ableton as a recording platform doesn't sound as good as say, Logic, but that's besides the point. The Lite version has many more limitations than the regular standard version of Live. Have you utilized your free 30 day trial of Live? Available by going to their website. If you have standard Live loaded you'll know whether or not you can get the clock adjusted or (I know you can do this with Live) adjust the buffer size.

rigged

Reaction score
I don't believe the two things mentioned are exclusive to Lite or PC. It's been awhile since I've had the Lite version, and I don't recall the "clock is locked" message. Under Preferences > Audio tab > Latency there is no option to change the buffer size?

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
I use an earlier version of 18i20. Great interface, but I've never seen that message. Check out Reaper, a full featured/low cost DAW.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It may be the Live Lite version has the clock locked. Additionally I have heard that Ableton as a recording platform doesn't sound as good as say, Logic, but that's besides the point. The Lite version has many more limitations than the regular standard version of Live. Have you utilized your free 30 day trial of Live? Available by going to their website. If you have standard Live loaded you'll know whether or not you can get the clock adjusted or (I know you can do this with Live) adjust the buffer size.
I guess there's always something better, but eventually Abelton Live 10 will be what I'll starr with. Well, once i figure out lite. Still, it's going to sound a whole lot better than what I'm trying to work with now.
I did concider getting a Notebook, and i still may, as I've found on my ipad (only Apple product i own) to be a step ahead with firmware updates, and ease of use, especially for music programs
I didn't think about Live having the clock locked, as i haven't touched it in almos a year.
I use an earlier version of 18i20. Great interface, but I've never seen that message. Check out Reaper, a full featured/low cost DAW.
Hmm. That's a little troubling, but so far, so good. I did read that it won't effect the i20.
Thanks for the input. I could use as much as possible.
This will sound ignorant, but will i be able to record a full kit, music, and edit after?
I will say, the 8i20 has been very user friendly to this point.
I hope it stays this way

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You're running Ableton on a tablet? Seems kind of ambitious, especially when recording multiple tracks at a decent bit depth.

rigged

Reaction score
I guess there's always something better, but eventually Abelton Live 10 will be what I'll starr with. Well, once i figure out lite. Still, it's going to sound a whole lot better than what I'm trying to work with now.
I did concider getting a Notebook, and i still may, as I've found on my ipad (only Apple product i own) to be a step ahead with firmware updates, and ease of use, especially for music programs
I didn't think about Live having the clock locked, as i haven't touched it in almos a year.

Hmm. That's a little troubling, but so far, so good. I did read that it won't effect the i20.
Thanks for the input. I could use as much as possible.
This will sound ignorant, but will i be able to record a full kit, music, and edit after?
I will say, the 8i20 has been very user friendly to this point.
I hope it stays this way

I've never heard anything about Logic being better than Ableton in terms of recording platform. Minor differences aside, most DAWS essentially perform the same function. It's a matter of workflow. I have a friend that's a working / touring (not now) dj who creates and performs exclusively with Logic . Choose the one you're more apt to open and actually use. Good luck with whatever direction you choose.

Enjoy and create!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never heard anything about Logic being better than Ableton in terms of recording platform. Minor differences aside, most DAWS essentially perform the same function. It's a matter of workflow. I have a friend that's a working / touring (not now) dj who creates and performs exclusively with Logic . Choose the one you're more apt to open and actually use. Good luck with whatever direction you choose.

Enjoy and create!
Cool. I have heard good things about logic, but I'm as big a newbie as a newb can get. If i can record a decent track, and link it up with a Gopro to start, I'll be thrilled.
I figure if i can record a decent drum track in 60 days, I'll be on schedule?
What big differences are there between "light" and the software ya pay for? Is it more than plug ins?
I'll be micing up my kit to the interface tomorrow. I'm pretty psyched. I'm using amature mics (the Shure pack), but they sound surprisingly good.
I'm glad i got the experience micing, and recording the way i was doing it. Sometimes doing things the hard way can pay off. Maybe this will be one of those times?

rigged

Reaction score
Cool. I have heard good things about logic, but I'm as big a newbie as a newb can get. If i can record a decent track, and link it up with a Gopro to start, I'll be thrilled.
I figure if i can record a decent drum track in 60 days, I'll be on schedule?
What big differences are there between "light" and the software ya pay for? Is it more than plug ins?
I'll be micing up my kit to the interface tomorrow. I'm pretty psyched. I'm using amature mics (the Shure pack), but they sound surprisingly good.
I'm glad i got the experience micing, and recording the way i was doing it. Sometimes doing things the hard way can pay off. Maybe this will be one of those times?

The big differences are instruments, plugins, effect & a limited number of tracks ( I can't remember how many off hand). Lite should be enough for you to do your recordings and get a good grasp of the software and if it works for you. I did exactly that. Started with Lite, then upgraded to Full, then Suite. Hope this helps.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The big differences are instruments, plugins, effect & a limited number of tracks ( I can't remember how many off hand). Lite should be enough for you to do your recordings and get a good grasp of the software and if it works for you. I did exactly that. Started with Lite, then upgraded to Full, then Suite. Hope this helps.
Yeah, it's really appreciated.
How long did it take you to get the first recording? Where you computer savvy to start?
If you, or anyone knows of any good tutorial vids on YouTube, that would be really helpful.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I won't rule out anything, especially if it's free, and user friendly.
Do they make software that will synch audio, with vid?
It seems the Scarlett will doa pretty good job on audio on it's own. I'm real excited to finally get my kit sounding like my kit.
I've seen what the second generation can do on it's own, and i was very impressed.
There are some features on the 3rd gen that were supposed to have improved upon it

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To sync audio with video, I edit video with Vegas, add the audio, and line it up manually. Pretty easy, especially for a drummer.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll download it, and see what i can do once I'm ready to record. Hopefully it won't be very long, as I've been doing them a few months now. Yes, the audio quality stinks on most, but recording has been a whole new animal for me, and has been a great learning experience.
If anyone has anything to add, I'm all ears.
I'm sure I'll have more questions as i go, but i think i may have a decent grasp??

Latest posts