A Drummers favorite Guitar Solo

mattr

Reaction score
So, my list would have been very different in my teens and Twenties… flashiness doesn’t hold the currency it once did. But being a drummer and not fully appreciating the ins and outs of the technique of guitarists, these are songs I find I really like because their solos stand out elevating or moving the song along:

Tom Petty: Running Down A Dream (Mike Cambell) - this one gets your heart pumping and just blows out the song perfectly. Masterful!

Fleetwood Mac: Gypsy (Lindsay Buckingham) -Micks pushing hi-hat and this unusual finger picking solo again just blows out the song perfectly

Rush - Limelight (Alex L.) - I feel
like many Alex solos don’t age well, but this one he got right in bringing up the mood up and even into the overdriven ending and arpeggiated fade in

Genesis - That’s All (Mike R.) - again, another one that fully elevated the song. Love it.

Jefferson Airplane/Starship - Find Your Way Back or With Your Love - Jefferson’s got a lot of good guitar work. But these are a couple of good examples of great solos.

Eagles - Hotel California - nuff said.

Yes - Starship Trooper (Steve H.) - not so much the solo, but the secondary part (Wurm?). Hypnotic in some of the last 70s live versions.

Huey Lewis - Heart and Soul - it’s the lick, but it kicks that song into shape

plenty more i’m missing, but for good Rock solos…

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
Agree with the OP, my absolute favourite is Mike Campbell's at the end of running down a dream. An absolute killer guitar solo that always makes me attempt air guitar in private.

Second favourite is Kirk Hammett, The Unforgiven from Metallica's "black album", a monster solo with so much feel.

Edward Van Halen, any riff or solo of his, all equally great.

Steve Vai, pretty much anything of his as well but favourite is Fool for Your Loving from Whitesnake's Slip of the Tongue album.

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Al DiMeola’s other worldly guitar playing on Return to Forever’s “Romantic Warrior” still blows me away. Two tunes in particular: his acoustic guitar playing on “The Romantic Warrior” and his electric guitar playing on “Duel of the Jester and the Tyrant.”

mattr

Reaction score
Anything Elliot Easton plays on The Cars records.
Most overlooked lead guitar player in rock.
Yes!! Thank you! The work between Elliot and Ric was superb, those guys were hook monsters. Track “Candy-O”, That’s just some mean playing.

I would say Metallica “One” in the clean portions is sad and sweet, it chokes me up. Dynamic for those guys.

EVH is a wholly separate characters. Though another example of a great solo that propels the song, MJs “Beat It”. Borders on the edge of wank, but it makes the song.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
There is so many… but one of my favourite guitar solos, is actually two breaks, neither of them technical or mindbending, but perfectly fitting the song… by Billy Gibbons in Cheap Sunglasses. Dunno, but it just completely sends me.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my all time favourites is on acoustic , it has no drums, go figure .

@ 2: 20 -

mattr

Reaction score
Al DiMeola’s other worldly guitar playing on Return to Forever’s “Romantic Warrior” still blows me away. Two tunes in particular: his acoustic guitar playing on “The Romantic Warrior” and his electric guitar playing on “Duel of the Jester and the Tyrant.”

Actually, excellent case in point here, Stanley C. kicking ass propelling on “School Days” and his rich melodic lines on “Quiet Afternoon”.

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
All of Mark Knopfler's guitar in 'Money for Nothing' is great; it used to 'supercharge' me during recess football games as a kid.

EVH's solo in 'Beat It' was the first time I can recall getting goosebumps when hearing a guitar solo (I was in 1st grade).

I have always really like the guitar solo in 'Kiss Me Deadly' by Lita Ford, especially how it starts.

These all stem from my younger years when my knowledge of playing music was zero; they were all instinctual reactions on my part.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, so many…Any Mike Campbell, especially his slide playing. And on that note, Derek Trucks! Hendrix on All Along the Watchtower. Chris Hayes and Johnny Cola from Huey Lewis and the News on that first album before they hit. Any Allan Holdsworth. Just too many to mention.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary Moore - Still Got the Blues, Live

Goodness gracious, that lead is otherworldly. Just a hair raising, goosebump inducing, climactic lead that'll make you cry. He truly was one of the greatest, technique, sound, feeling, he had it all. RIP Mr. Moore...

Right from the get-go, wow!

Last edited:

mattr

Reaction score
Running Down a Dream is the epitome of a great solo for me…. The drum sound on that song though (and for that entire album for that matter) absolutely distractingly dreadful. Very surprising recording approach from Jeff Lynne who had great drum sounds in ELO. Big 80s mishap… can’t tell if it’s a drum machine fighting with a live drummer, or what’s going on

snappy

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The (2:50-3:05) mark still sends shivers up my spine.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Genesis didn't improvise solos, they orchestrated parts. And they certainly didn't trade in flash, preferring instead that which might move you on a deeper level.

I don't like to undermine other great selections by elevating an arbitrary and unnecessary "favorite" whatever that means, but Steve Hackett's solo on Firth of Fifth (based on Tony Banks's melody) is a good first place to start.

Should you find yourself suitably swooning, find the collection of Hackett's solo parts which build throughout The Lamia.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a huge Michael Schenker fan, and I'd have a long list a great solos I could post up here, but the tune that made me recognize his stellar talent in particular was this gem on the 'Lights Out' album...
(I'll add it was a terrific time to be a high schooler in this era!!!).

mattr

Reaction score
Genesis didn't improvise solos, they orchestrated parts. And they certainly didn't trade in flash, preferring instead that which might move you on a deeper level.

I don't like to undermine other great selections by elevating an arbitrary and unnecessary "favorite" whatever that means, but Steve Hackett's solo on Firth of Fifth (based on Tony Banks's melody) is a good first place to start.

Should you find yourself suitably swooning, find the collection of Hackett's solo parts which build throughout The Lamia.

Don’t get me going on Genesis…. If this thread was called “A drummers favorite keyboard solo”, Banks would be down for at least a half dozen incredible solos. That three minutes of transcendental bliss on “Cinema Show” on Seconds Out…. Fuhgetaboutit! Hackett was no slouch, but how Howe was the leading force in Yes, Banks was the force for Genesis. Hackett on Trick of the Tail or The Lamb…. Great stuff.