A Drummers favorite Guitar Solo

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Continuing with the Return to Forever bunch we invariably get into the Bill vs Al thing...;)
I like them both....and the previous RTF toons are almost tied.....however because of the “rawness”, I have to go with Bill Connors and Captain Senor Mouse...5:50 in...

Because I’m a drummer and can’t count to one....I’m going to add another, and it’s from my own band and David Hathaway’s solo just fits so good and includes a plethora of influences....1:55 in...

Then there’s all those solo’s John McLaughlin did with Mahavishnu Orchestra and Shakti....this one in particular...Face to Face....3:15

bt

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Frank Zappa is another gem. Three solos in particular for me: Watermelon in Easter Hay Joe’s Garage II, Torture Never Stops (Live from NY Palladium October 31, 1981) and Any Kind of Pain ( Live 1988 Tour on Broadway The Hardway). So many more great guitarists too.

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of options here: "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" by the AB's, "Black Napkins" by Zappa, anything by Prince, David Gilmore, or Wes Montgomery. Too many to name, but a good solo just gives me a chance to just play time and embellish carefully.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One of my all time favorites outside of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb and anything from Edward Van Halen, was Hitch a Ride Tom Scholes of Boston.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Man, so many epic solos out there and the one that still give me goose bumps to this day is a very simple one that even I can play...Brian May's short solo on Who Wants To Live Forever. That feel is second to none...soft start, building up to the epic power chord. Starting at 2.10 point.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my favorite EC solo. Begins at 2:22

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I gotta put it out there - Freebird, Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Great slow build-up to a hair raising climax by all 3 of those "kids", because they were really kids when they recorded that. Almost made me throw my guitar away after hearing it. Amazing work by all 3 guitarists. Drums sounded like crap though, sorry.

SteveParadis

Reaction score
So, my list would have been very different in my teens and Twenties… flashiness doesn’t hold the currency it once did. But being a drummer and not fully appreciating the ins and outs of the technique of guitarists, these are songs I find I really like because their solos stand out elevating or moving the song along:

Tom Petty: Running Down A Dream (Mike Cambell) - this one gets your heart pumping and just blows out the song perfectly. Masterful!

Fleetwood Mac: Gypsy (Lindsay Buckingham) -Micks pushing hi-hat and this unusual finger picking solo again just blows out the song perfectly

Rush - Limelight (Alex L.) - I feel
like many Alex solos don’t age well, but this one he got right in bringing up the mood up and even into the overdriven ending and arpeggiated fade in

Genesis - That’s All (Mike R.) - again, another one that fully elevated the song. Love it.

Jefferson Airplane/Starship - Find Your Way Back or With Your Love - Jefferson’s got a lot of good guitar work. But these are a couple of good examples of great solos.

Eagles - Hotel California - nuff said.

Yes - Starship Trooper (Steve H.) - not so much the solo, but the secondary part (Wurm?). Hypnotic in some of the last 70s live versions.

Huey Lewis - Heart and Soul - it’s the lick, but it kicks that song into shape

plenty more i’m missing, but for good Rock solos…
Elliot Randell’s solo on Steely Dan’s Reeling in the Years is monster level.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
For me, it's David Gilmour. Comfortably Numb; Another Brick In The Wall, Pt. 2; every solo he played on The Final Cut - all so inspiring. Pete Townsend is also brilliant on just about anything he plays.