A Drummers favorite Guitar Solo

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
Man, so many epic solos out there and the one that still give me goose bumps to this day is a very simple one that even I can play...Brian May's short solo on Who Wants To Live Forever. That feel is second to none...soft start, building up to the epic power chord. Starting at 2.10 point.
Queen were/are just an incredible band full stop, which reminds me for the drummers who don't get the credit they deserve thread.

The show must go on still sends shivers up my spine, especially knowing Freddie wrote it knowing he didn't have much time left.

boomstick

Reaction score
I was all about Eddie Van Halen in my youth, but like the OP, I've grown to like simple but effective guitar solos. For example,

"Easy" by The Commodores
"Since You're Gone" by The Cars
"Mother" by Floyd.

As for busier solos, the one from "My Sharona" never fails, as well as Frampton's "Do You Feel Like We Do."

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cream Crossroads live. Allman Brothers' Jessica and Mountain Jam. Too many Jerry Garcia/G. Dead solos to count.

Hendrix is my fave guitarist and the BoG Machine Gun blows me away every time. That to me is the best solo he ever did. The first note of his solo about 4:00 in is epic and the way he holds it I still can't replicate. The angst and emotion he exudes just from that note still sends shivers up my spine. I'm thankful that was caught on video. See here at 1:33:

But if you hear the Stone Free live track #1 on the Live at Fillmore double album, he does this thing that just takes it to another level, too. Of course his Star Spangled Banner is my favorite guitar solo when I want to just noodle around....usually I'll do a medley of the intro of Voodoo Child, too, SSB, into Purple Haze.....

SRV's Little Wing is also incredible......

Last edited:

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always thought that the 8-bar guitar solo that starts at 2:08 of this 10cc song is a model of conciseness:

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
And of course, Jeff Beck's famous 4-bar solo that rides on top of everything at the end of "Beck's Bolero" (starting at 2:39 on this video), which still sends chills up and down my spine, more than 53 years after I first heard it.

drums1225

Reaction score
Back in the day, I was into the shredders and a big fan of Yngwie Malmsteen and the slew of his clones/disciples at Shrapnel Records, however, my enduring favorite guitar solos are memorable ones that you can sing. To me, Hotel California and Another Brick in the Wall are the ones that stand out. So lyrical. At this point, they're not even solos, they're integral parts of the songs. Even a layman knows how those solos go.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the day, I was into the shredders and a big fan of Yngwie Malmsteen and the slew of his clones/disciples at Shrapnel Records, however, my enduring favorite guitar solos are memorable ones that you can sing. To me, Hotel California and Another Brick in the Wall are the ones that stand out. So lyrical. At this point, they're not even solos, they're integral parts of the songs. Even a layman knows how those solos go.
Yeah, in rock music, there's definitely a difference between carefully composed solos and the best take (or pieces) of several improvised solos. There's a place for both, but the solos you mentioned are masterpieces.

ncdrumr

Reaction score
So many good ones in this thread. I think Warren Cuccurullo nails it shut on this one, along with Pino Palladino and Vinnie C:

Still gives me chills when he takes flight at 2:18... :D

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite guitar solos are fairly run of the mill choices, but they're so good you never forget them.

Jimmy Page during the breakdown in Whole Lotta Love
David Gilmour in Comfortably Numb (and several other tracks, but that's just the one I chose)
Angus Young in Back in Black
Eric Clapton in While My Guitar Gently Weeps

I'll take musicality over flash every time.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Generally Mike Campbell's solos are pretty much always mini-clinics on masterful, tasty rock playing. A lot of Angus Young's solos are absolute knock outs, but You shook me all night long is just insanely well crafted/executed. Whoever named The Cars' Easton is also right on the money. I mean, how stupendously cool is the solo on "My best friend's girlfriend"?

But my personnal favorite, one of the most badass and bold choices ever in a rock/pop tune is Gregg Brown's many measures long single note ostinato at the en of Cake's cover version of "I will survive". You can hear the small amp's cone and tubes hangin' on for dear life as Brown coaxes incessantly every last bit of tone they can produce... The second solo is at about 3:30...

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So many good ones in this thread. I think Warren Cuccurullo nails it shut on this one, along with Pino Palladino and Vinnie C:

Still gives me chills when he takes flight at 2:18... :D
That’s a rare disc, Thanks To Frank. Very cool.