A Drummers favorite Guitar Solo

jkuhl

Reaction score
Kurt Rosenwinkel on Brian Blades Fellowship album Perceptual on the track Crooked Creek, the lap steel solo afterwards is ridiculous too.

Adam Rogers on Chris Potters Underground tune The Wheel. His tone and phrasing is so nasty

Wayne Krantz on his tune Whippersnapper

Ben Eunson on Sean Waylands Arc is Enough. Pure chops blaze fest but still really cool and musical.

mattr

Reaction score
Four pages in, and nobody's mentioned what may be the most iconic guitar solo in the history of rock music. Begins at 5:55.

Oh boy, this is a huge miss….

was always partial to this LC track… some spirited drumming too

you might have a Tommy Boy moment when this comes on, but Warren C. expertly did emotion for this track

Everyone’s putting in a stellar performance on this one too

Last edited:

aratts

Reaction score
Another vote for “Peg” by Steely Dan and “More Than a Feeling” by Boston

”All My Loving“ and “Can’t Buy Me Love” by the Fabs — George Harrison playing exactly the right solos to complement the song. Also the three taking solos in “The End”

mattr

Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but THIS is the greatest Moog solo I’ve every heard starting at 7:01. Wakeman goes down all muddy then up the heavens…he’s on a journey! Squire crushing it with Taurus pedals throughout! …. And weirdly enough Howe having an off night.
Musicianship at its’ at its finiest for that era and genre.

Last edited:

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but THIS is the greatest Moog solo I’ve every heard starting at 7:01. Wakeman goes down all muddy then up the heavens…he’s on a journey! Squire crushing it with Taurus pedals throughout! …. And weirdly enough Howe having an off night.
Musicianship at its’ at its finiest for that era and genre.
The "battling" guitar solos in the long crescendo at the end are prety up there in terms of epicness as well...

mattr

Reaction score
Surprise no mention of “Layla”…

This Albert Hall EC performance is pretty epic… Ferrone puts some gnarly energy into it

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes was killing it on this night in ‘78… would have loved to been there
Oh I didn't catch that it was a live version, I'll have a listen, I just read the title and assumed it was the album cut... I was fortunate enough to have my former band open for Yes for 2 nights in '98. I couldn't catch their set the first night because we were double-booked on another festival in a city about a 100 miles away ( we got to fly out in a chopper, wich was rad in and of itself). But we stayed the second night, they played most of the Yes album and a good chunk of Fragile and generally were on fire.

larold

Reaction score
Richard Thompson playing Can’t Win or Shoot Out the Lights live

Robert Fripp. I’ve always preferred his soloing when he’s playing on someone else’s songs than on his own.

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an absolutely epic solo, short as it may be. I don't care what anyone says.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In general, I like rock guitar solos more than rock drum solos; there's no way I can pick just one. Jazz, the opposite.

For instance, I'm a Fripp & Belew freak. Also, I love Brian May solos so much that I listen to Queen songs. EVH, Jimmy Page, Alex Lifeson sure. But for some reason, maybe the sheer outpouring of emotion, I keep coming back to this gem:

Medium Size Dog

Reaction score
Gotta add IMO. One of my most favorite kick ass songs in the world:
Mother Knows Best on the Richard Thompson album Rumor and Sigh.
Liner notes indicate Jim Keltner but it could be Mickey Curry. There must be other versions on yt but the album cut is the one i know best.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I love so many guitar solos and stuff to pick but off the top of my head also Eagles Hotel California that is a bad ass exchange between Joe Walsh andDon Felder
got to give it up to Joe Walsh again for is a amazing solo on the bomber with the echoplex amazing

Santana black magic woman
Richie Blackmore Deep Purple miss treated
Tommy Bolin for deep purple on the instrumental tune owed to g after this time around

anything Allan holdsworth actually I have to give it up to Eddie Van Halen as well everything he does is amazing or did these two guys are on my top two along with Jimi

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My favorite guitar solo of all time is the second solo in “Maybe i’m amazed” from Paul McCartney’s first solo album.
Ace Frehley on “Calling Dr. Love”
Pete Townshend on “Heaven and Hell” from Live at Leeds,
and James Honeyman-Scott’s solo on “Kid” from the Pretenders are all awesome as well.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Four pages in, and nobody's mentioned what may be the most iconic guitar solo in the history of rock music. Begins at 5:55.

I agree, but it is NOT my (and many other's) favorite guitar solo as a drummer. I think the most iconic guitar solo is by Peter Frampton in "Do You Feel Like We Do" on his Come Alive album of 1976. Personally, my favorite guitar solo is Frank Marino's offering on "Stories Of A Hero" from his "Real Live!" Double album of 2004. Give it an ear on the song's entirety. You just might like his catalog.