A Drummers favorite Guitar Solo

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many, many years ago, a friend says, "I heard a great new band, Canadian, three guys. 'Rush', I think. You gotta hear those guys, get it!" I go to the record store, hit the record rack under 'R', didn't find it. So I start the whole frigging alphabet just in case it was misplaced. Get to the 'M' section, ah, Mahogany Rush, Live. Ask the dude at the counter, he didn't know jack. Flip it over to read the back, three guys, Canadian. Maybe this is it, I buy it. They're Canadian, took it home. Slapped it on the phonograph (remember those?) This was back in 1978. Call my friend over, he cusses me out, "That ain't the band, you ass!" I turn on the album where I left off, "King Bee/Backdoor Man", first solo, his eyes almost pop out of their sockets. Tells me, "Screw those other 'Rush' guys, these guys are lightyears better!!" I hear Getty Lee and I want to puke! Give me fingernails on a chalk-board instead, anytime! Been a Frank Marino fan since then. Been to over four dozen of his performances. Most were in Toronto venues around the university. Some were four hours long and no one ever left until he was done! Mahogany Rush opened for Aerosmith and they punked-out Aerosmith like a chomo cellie! Perry was a cripple compared. Gotta say very few can sling a guitar solo as melodic as Frank Marino's 'World Anthem' and his studio rendering of 'Norwegian Wood' (made punks of the Beatles' version) and Joe Satriani's 'Always with me, always with you' LIVE! Both are absolute magic. I never buy studio-recorded music, regardless of band. If it ain't a LIVE recording, it ain't getting bought. LIVE or nothing! Live performances is where a performer proves themselves. Can't hide behind lip-sync, dubs, phoney effects, Auto-tune, etc. Live recordings or nothing! But hearing Frank Marino, Peter Frampton and Joe Satriani guitar solos are truly my favorite and I love their drum-friendly connection.

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remembered one more that I'm sure has already been mentioned, but has also been a dear favourite of mine for many years now, and I can't believe I left it off my prior list from post # 72 (must be gettin' old)......

Slingwig26

Reaction score
I think Elliot Eastons solo in Touch & Go is perfect. I also love Zappa’s solo in Any Kind of Pain on Broadway the Hard Way. Plus a lot I am overlooking but when I hear it I go, yeah! That’s an awesome solo.

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
album - KISS Alive ,
song - Rock and Roll All Night,
lead guitar - Ace Frehley
model - Gibson Les Paul l Custom

FlowTom

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's nice when the guitar is played well. Sometimes it's not.
I don't have a single favorite solo. But Jack Pearson's solo on the Allman Brothers tune "Dreams" recorded live in concert is from another planet.

drumaniac

DFO Star
Reaction score
Al DiMeola - Race with Devil on Spanish Highway
The whole tune is a guitar solo lol and backed by amazing drumming and percussion.
To me it is Santana on steroids.

rascalseven

Reaction score
Neal Schon's solo in Journey's "Still They Ride" from their 'Escape' album has long been a favorite of mine. Long, emotionally drawn, weeping notes, followed by a crescendo and remarkably tasteful blur of notes that lifts the listener into the last chorus (helped along by an appropriately strong, triplet drum fill courtesy of Steve Smith!). One of Journey's under appreciated power ballads, for sure!