A Drummer's Mother

tempobob

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My mother is coming home on Hospice tomorrow, so over the past few weeks I've been thinking about what a drummer's mom does.

- She buys a drum pad and sticks even though it seems like a bad idea.
- She drives you to lessons when you haven't practced.
- She listens to you and your friends attempt to play songs that are well beyond your ability, tells you they sound good and means it.
- Sends you to music camp because now you're a little more serious about it. She and dad find the money somehow.
- She really Is interested in your choice of pearl finish.
- She waits up to make sure you get home from the gig ok at 2 am.
- She helps out when you're working five nights a week and still having money problems because she believes in you.
- She's really sick and tells you not to give up.

stickinthemud

DFO Master
Reaction score
You left out: She drives you to practice when you can't even spell the word. :laughing3:
Just jackin' with you, bro.

Your mother is lucky to have a son who recognizes the sacrifices she has made because she loves you. It's obvious from your words that you know how lucky you are.

Thanks for sharing!

tempobob

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Stickinthemud said:
You left out: She drives you to practice when you can't even spell the word. :laughing3:
Just jackin' with you, bro.

Your mother is lucky to have a son who recognizes the sacrifices she has made because she loves you. It's obvious from your words that you know how lucky you are.

Thanks for sharing!
Lol. I guess it was that onion I was peeling.

Man minus label

Reaction score
Good thoughts to you, and peace in your heart and your mother's heart. Thanks for your post.

67Mopar

God Speed Jerry
Reaction score
Moms rule, I am blessed to have 2 parents still alive in their 70's functioning and Married I dont know what I would have done without them. I hope I am being the best Parent I can be. Remember the good times, be there , and make sure you not only tell her , but show her how much you love her, and how good a job she did. Sorry for your tough times.

D

dmacc

Wow, I'm terribly sorry for your situation. I've been there twice and know how it can feel.

All of what you said resonates with me.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't that list be on a music room poster, or t-shirts?

...or maybe a Mother's Day card from Hallmark?

:notworthy:

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I have played with so many musicians whose parents were not encouraging. Mine were incredibly supportive, like your mom, through thick and thin. Bless their hearts!

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
God Bless your Mom and family. My mom, gone 10 years, would have loved that list. After I'd made a hole drumming on the arm of a chair, she gave me $30 to make a down payment on my first snare, (Ludwig Downbeat)
Hospice workers are angels on earth in my opinion, they help make it through the hardest of situations with grace.

Reaction score
Bob,

Thanks for such a heartfelt post. It certainly reminded me, in many ways, of my mother.
You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Billy G.

eddiej

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow, that really hit home. My Mom is still alive at 82. We lost my Dad almost 5 years ago to lung cancer.

Thoughts and prayers are with you during this tough time.

69OysterBlue

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great post - I will certainly share this with my own mother (who is 85 and struggling with her own health issues).

tempobob

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I originally posted this just before we brought my mother home on hospice. This will be a very different Mother's Day for me since she past on March 31st.
Here's to all our mothers who helped us along the drumming path.