A&F, I know they're expensive

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And they look steam punk for the millenials.

But the sound files I'm hearing sound fantastic. ( I know, it's a video. You can be fooled :)

But I thought it was hype and new clothes for the emperor. I'm not so sure anymore..

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
jaymandude said:

But the sound files I'm hearing sound fantastic. ( I know, it's a video. You can be fooled :icon_smile:

But I thought it was hype and new clothes for the emperor. I'm not so sure anymore..
While some of their stuff is way too far out in left field for me, I think someone of the snares sound amazing. I'm not a Steampunk or Hipster person at all but I do love the whole raw look of their drums.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Man, never heard of them until this post. So thanks for that.
Looks like a pretty amazing set of drums.
Very good marketing, for sure.
I'd love to sit behind one of those kits.

R

RickP

I feel the same about them as SJC, not interested. I can understand why some people can be interested, just not for me.

Chunkaway

DFO Master
Reaction score
RickP said:
I feel the same about them as SJC, not interested. I can understand why some people can be interested, just not for me.
I am assuming you don't mean to lump them into the same category, but these two brands are COMPLETELY different, with different aesthetics. I'm not knocking SJC because I don't know much about them, but I believe they are using Keller shells. A&F have experimented with a wide variety of shell types - mostly metals, from what I have seen.

I probably won't buy an A&F kit, but I played one of their snare drums and it was something special. It was big and fat, with just this great warm tone. Of course it was over $1000, so there's that.

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I haven't found any of A&F's demo videos to have appealing sounds. Yeah, they build their drums and their hardware themselves, which is admirable, but if they don't sound good, don't look good (both of which are subjective), and cost a lot of money they don't make a blip on my radar.

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
robthedrummer said:
I live about a mile from their workshop. I really do need to go over and check them out.
Thtre doing a big demo / hang at a studio during SXSW - food, drinks, and a bunch of their drums.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I closely examined and played the 6.5" X 14" raw brass patina snare at DCP and was amazed by the sensitivity and relatively dry clear and "wide" tone. It had an incredible presence for lack of a better word. I thought it was easily the best sounding drum I sampled on the Wall of Snares that day compared to drums both more and less expensive.
The looks of the raw patina is different and not my first choice aesthetically...but it is a musical instrument and sound is the priority is it not?
Based on sound alone I came close to pulling the trigger that day despite the $1100 price tag and my recent retirement. I try not to dismiss or dump on things that aren't like what I currently have... as humanly easy and tempting as that is to do.

PS: I was telling a friend about my impressions of this drum. He couldn't get by the lack of shiny parts and said he wasn't impressed by the sound files on the internet. I went and checked the available clips and the "magic" I experienced in person was absent. Another example of why I don't make sight unseen musical purchases.

Chunkaway

DFO Master
Reaction score
noreastbob said:
I closely examined and played the 6.5" X 14" raw brass patina snare at DCP and was amazed by the sensitivity and relatively dry clear and "wide" tone. It had an incredible presence for lack of a better word. I thought it was easily the best sounding drum I sampled on the Wall of Snares that day compared to drums both more and less expensive.
The looks of the raw patina is different and not my first choice aesthetically...but it is a musical instrument and sound is the priority is it not?
Based on sound alone I came close to pulling the trigger that day despite the $1100 price tag and my recent retirement. I try not to dismiss or dump on things that aren't like what I currently have... as humanly easy and tempting as that is to do.

PS: I was telling a friend about my impressions of this drum. He couldn't get by the lack of shiny parts and said he wasn't impressed by the sound files on the internet. I went and checked the available clips and the "magic" I experienced in person was absent. Another example of why I don't make sight unseen musical purchases.
That was almost my exact same experience with the A&F snare I played. I actually went in to the shop thinking the A&F thing was nothing but hipster hype. And then I played the snare drum. It was definitely the best sounding snare drum in the shop. Again, I doubt I'll ever spend $1100 (or whatever the cost of the drum was) on a snare, but I was impressed with its sound.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pity,they were not around 20 years ago. We could have used something this different back then. I think its bad timing for them unfortunately. This market is saturated right now, and as we see small operators closing shop, they come out with a very expensive, unique product. I'm sure the "deep pockets" will line up for a piece of the pie, but will it be enough for them?
I hope so, I truly admire guys like this that take it on themselves. They aren,t stealing, or waiting to find a loop hole in the patent process of someone else with a vision.
This takes a lot of courage to jump in the deep end first. We see it with Oriollo and Inde following the same path in a way, and look at the respect they have from the community.
I,m impressed with the sound I hear from the videos, with the exception of one a little while ago, but I think they had it removed.
True craftsmen like these folks should be encouraged to keep pushing, I just love the concept.
Some say 1100 is over the top for a snare drum??..Take a look at Sonors 0ne of a Kind....OUCH!!

They wont appeal to everyone, but everyone should admire their belief in themselves in a market that is shifting dramatically.
As long as they are honest and truthful and show respect to others in the industry, they will be well on the way!

ludwigfire

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Having been to the factory/showroom and played some of their drums in person, I can honestly say that the drums sound fantastic. The videos, for the most part, are pretty spot on.

Ramy Antoun is about as nice of a guy as they come and very passionate about what his company is doing. He freely admits that the drums are expensive, but in this case, you truly do get what you pay for. Almost every single piece of their drums is hand made in house and very well thought out to be user friendly, minimalistic, and easily fixed or replaced if the need should arise. I wish I could explain more but my mind was simply overwhelmed during my short visit by all of the cool things A&F are doing. It is hard to remember it all and there are some great ideas that have not hit the market yet, can't mention those, but keep an eye on these guys.

By the way, I am not affiliated nor employed by them, I just went there to pick up one of their drum keys for my collection!
received_1394276724026347.jpeg

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The sound in the vids is very true to the acoustic sound. My booth was across from them at NAMM so I have 4 days of evidence to prove it!

Expensive is a relative term.

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
It seems like most of the drums they make do sound fantastic...and Ramy is a great guy...super nice and leading a passionate team making drums by hand. Seems like a good formula to me. I wont knock them for charging a lot. If people will pay it then why the heck not. I wish them well.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
jaymandude said:

But the sound files I'm hearing sound fantastic. ( I know, it's a video. You can be fooled :icon_smile:

That Black Nickel set is amazing. I'd love to own that kit, but 8k price tag is a bit out of my league.

ncdrumr

Reaction score
That Black Nickel set is amazing. I'd love to own that kit, but 8k price tag is a bit out of my league.

Well, precisely....and if I had $8k to spend, I can't imagine spending it on just drums. I was just looking at some of the newer snares on Sweetwater. They look like perfectly nice 6.5" x 14" maple/poplar drums, with patina'd hardware, leather gaskets, and an underwhelming throwoff.....for $1,400. :oops:

I mean, whoever's league these drums are in-- more power to you. I don't get it.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Their is expensive and then their is Sonor SQ2 which makes everything else look like a bargain

Trey Gray

Pro
Reaction score
Me and a good drummer buddy in nashville talk about this stuff a lot...prices on stuff, because we're both fortunate to have had artists gigs and usually only have to pay cost on stuff...

I'm kind of the voice of reason, I looked at what a 60's new Ludwig or Slingerland kit would cost between 500-600$ depending on sizes, colours and options....these would be be made probably close too 100% American made parts I would think...

In todays dollars that's between 4-5K....

It's easy to look down our noses at expensive gear because a lot of the inexpensive gear sounds so good....

There's room for everybody, it's a cool time to be playing drums!

Cheers and blessings everyone, Trey