DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think it’s hipster hate to a large degree ,
That ; and they aren’t shiny .
Why so much hipster hate ??

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Aside from the gross expense and, ah, aesthetic sensibility; those are off the table:

I love their ideas and reimagining, especially with the snares. Especially the pancake snares and the six incher—though I'd think they could weld some tiny snares and commission some 6" Remo snare side heads at this price point.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
See some of their snares at above $2000 which is what a Brady might cost if you can find one. Every thing is indeed relative. Given our individual snare preferences sound-wise I can see someone happily spending that but personally I am not a fan of the look given my wood finish preferences for snares and kits. But hey, we love what we love and why not an A&F kit if it turns you on and you can afford it ?

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
That 28" snare though.... you could totaly work that into your schtick and be the band with 'that guy that plays the big round table snare drum', or the guy with the piano keyboard guitar (this guy) . I mean, not just a visual gag, but work that into the essence of the product. (Cause you'd kinda need to - no room for toms, and you'd want a lot of sonic space around you to really work that thunder table magic into your show.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Me and a good drummer buddy in nashville talk about this stuff a lot...prices on stuff, because we're both fortunate to have had artists gigs and usually only have to pay cost on stuff...

I'm kind of the voice of reason, I looked at what a 60's new Ludwig or Slingerland kit would cost between 500-600$ depending on sizes, colours and options....these would be be made probably close too 100% American made parts I would think...

In todays dollars that's between 4-5K....

It's easy to look down our noses at expensive gear because a lot of the inexpensive gear sounds so good....

There's room for everybody, it's a cool time to be playing drums!

Cheers and blessings everyone, Trey
Yeah. There's a lot more to what you said here. You could expand a lot on it.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was just on their website and saw that they sell single tension sets.
What do you guys think about them? Kind of their version of a Clubdate-style set. At least that's how they explain the price difference from their top of the line kits.

I think the pricing is about where the comparison ends...

vigilante397

Reaction score
I tried one of their snares once ($1100) and it did sound great, no denying it. They have a great look as well, definitely points for originality. But they market themselves as a "Luxury Drum Brand," and I don't consider myself a luxury consumer. I'm not going to say they aren't worth it, just going to say they're not for me.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
With cars, stereos, watches, etc., the rule of thumb is that with each 100% increase over the median price, you get a 1% performance improvement. Not enough for me to hear, but good for the guys who can.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The sound in the vids is very true to the acoustic sound. My booth was across from them at NAMM so I have 4 days of evidence to prove it!

Expensive is a relative term.
I agree after playing one I was pretty floored at how good is sounding. I enjoyed both your booth and theirs at Namm.

Heyleuck

Reaction score
I know I have made fun of the A&F stuff in the past, the hipster prestige thing is just such an easy target. To be clear I do think some of the products they have look really nice. Some really classy wood outfits.

Mostly I think it's the pre-rusted stuff that comes off corny. The sort of snare a curly moustached root beer salesman might play.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Because it's Hip to Hate Hipsters?

Lol. I am just happy that A&F has replaced DW as the pariah of the drum world. I see the same hate for Gibson guitars (which I love just like DW) on the guitar forums.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's what I think from what I've seen (not much) that will stay A & F as a "Niche" maker...(never a pearl ludwig or gretsch or..)

(so everyone's fear is unfounded)

They don't mix.

Yeah. I saw the "one internet guy" who "bought a snare" and put it to his ( yamaha?) set.

Ok.

But the rest of the stuff?
None of it (correct me if I'm wrong) is something you can "add' to an existing ("other make") set.

Either "all in" with A & F or "nothing"

even some (or most?) of the snare's are "too weird" " too peculiar" to add to an "existing brand" set.

I don't see many pieces of " A & F" that can blend in with an existing set.
So they'll remain a Niche

They're not just a "boutique" snare maker....
They're a boutique "entire line" boutique

A & F may have "built themselves" into an entire "niche" corner.
That's ok , may have been their intention; and they can exist there, and " own that" but never "proliferate"..

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've never seen any A&F drums in person. They look awesome. The sound - well, I've yet to see videos that sounded incredible - some are good, a lot are fat, thuddy sounds that's not my desired sound (of course the 28" is sweet like that!). As for kits, I've heard good and just okay ones on video.

What I do really like about the company, though, is their creativity, their design aesthetic, and love the vintage vibe, feel and the appearance of mojo.

It's like buying a new "relic" Strat - it may look cool, but does it have the vibe of a 60 year old guitar found in the backroom of a Mississippi juke joint? Probably not. Is it worth $5K? Maybe, but not to me. I don't have super vintage Strats, and frankly, I've relic-ed a few modern cheaper guitars and even drums just for fun, and for way less than the cost of a vintage guitar or drum set. I have also redone some snares with some design inspiration coming from them and other brands - aging metal snares, blow torching them or using treatments to give patina, buffing chromed parts to make them look dull & old, etc. This way, my modern drums look vintage and have that played-in vibe......but at a fraction of the cost of a new A&F, and more importantly, using my own hands.

So I'd love to see these in person and play (tune!) them to my own liking - and maybe I am wrong. The prices are pretty high - I suppose they are worth it for some people. However, I have no problem taking a "normal" drum(s) and customizing it for my own use and saving some $ while doing so.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's what I think from what I've seen (not much) that will stay A & F as a "Niche" maker...(never a pearl ludwig or gretsch or..)

(so everyone's fear is unfounded)

They don't mix.

Yeah. I saw the "one internet guy" who "bought a snare" and put it to his ( yamaha?) set.

Ok.

But the rest of the stuff?
None of it (correct me if I'm wrong) is something you can "add' to an existing ("other make") set.

Either "all in" with A & F or "nothing"

even some (or most?) of the snare's are "too weird" " too peculiar" to add to an "existing brand" set.

I don't see many pieces of " A & F" that can blend in with an existing set.
So they'll remain a Niche

They're not just a "boutique" snare maker....
They're a boutique "entire line" boutique

A & F may have "built themselves" into an entire "niche" corner.
That's ok , may have been their intention; and they can exist there, and " own that" but never "proliferate"..
I disagree. Why couldn't you play a 6" brass A&F snare with any brand kit? Why couldn't you use one of their odd-ball snares as a aux snare, or even a rack tom? I'm not sure I follow your logic.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I disagree. Why couldn't you play a 6" brass A&F snare with any brand kit? Why couldn't you use one of their odd-ball snares as a aux snare, or even a rack tom? I'm not sure I follow your logic.
Well I'm just asking... which drums of their's match up with an existing set and don't end up sticking out like a sore az thumb? Being they don't (besides heads) use much in the way of commonality parts and everything is "bespoke"..
You say there's a few I believe you.
Just suggesting there's smoother "blends" into existing sets to be had.

Last edited:

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well I'm just asking... which drums of their's match up with an existing set and don't end up sticking out like a sore az thumb? Being they don't (besides heads) use much in the way of commonality parts and everything is "bespoke"..
You say there's a few I believe you.
Match up sonically or ascetically? I agree the visual is different but I have 20 snares of which only one actually matches my set. Right now I'm playing a Sugar Alder snare that is a very light colored wood with my 1930's WFL set that is wrapped in black diamond pearl. There is a 89 year difference between the "set" and the "snare".

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes I would check and see where and if they have a sonic similarity and aren't too far from mainstream... But Visually Yeah they look like from a different century.. but that's to taste I guess.
They're almost a Style statement but sonically, adding whatever tone they have (ancient?) could be a cool addition. I guess; It's kind of weird to have just "one".. and no hipper- to the eyes- than having an old marcher deep wood hoop snare calf heads, setting next to "your" nearly new "Yamaha Absolute Hybrid" (or whatever) . It's about a wash/ even..

You can still restore actual vintage drums and snares and come away with the same result. I think.
Little bit of cinematic Hollywood posturing (signaling) going on..

Last edited:

Latest posts