A few tunes from one of my cover bands

Blitzcraig

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've played with this band a few times over the years as a stunt drummer. They asked me in March of this year to be their regular drummer.

The pandemic has been really rough on live music, musicians and, performers as we all know. We were unable to get a full band rehearsal before this show and I personally hadn't play out since December of 2019 so I was fairly nervous. The crowd was approximately 2500 at a nice outdoor venue that is bringing back free concerts for the city. It went ok. We don't normally have the backup singers but brought them in for this gig. Man, what difference! They were fantastic. I cannot play Rosanna. I love the song but I can't seem to get the Porcaro half time shuffle. I must work on it. I'm really not that good at any of it but it sure is fun to play again.

Last edited:

flatwins

Reaction score
What an ensemble! Back up singers, horn section, the works. Looks like a bunch of fun and sounds great.

moonbabie

Reaction score
Sounds great! I’m guessing it’s hard to set rehearsal dates do to conflicting schedules.to my experience it’s tough enough to get a 4 or 5 piece band in the same room much less a group with horn and vocal sections. Is there any money to be made with so many members involved?

Blitzcraig

Reaction score
Thanks for kind words and comments.

Trying to schedule rehearsals is a nightmare. Guitar player lives in Austin TX, bass and horn players live in Huntsville TX. The girls just walked in and sang they'd been with us for years, however. Real pro's. We had never played Freeze Frame as a full band, you can tell. Lots of mistakes throughout the set. Non the less, it was a ton of fun and your average listener isn't usually that critical. The crowd was definitely ready to resume/assume the new normal and enjoy a free outdoor show.

Downbeat

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice stuff, sounds great. Love the Chicago cover.

Blitzcraig

Reaction score
Sounds great! I’m guessing it’s hard to set rehearsal dates do to conflicting schedules.to my experience it’s tough enough to get a 4 or 5 piece band in the same room much less a group with horn and vocal sections. Is there any money to be made with so many members involved?
Yes. This gig was funded by the city (College Station) and we were very fairly compensated.

Blitzcraig

Reaction score
Nice stuff, sounds great. Love the Chicago cover.
Thanks Downbeat! The Chicago stuff is fun but very challenging for me. Danny Seraphine was a monster.

Note to self: Get one of those cool squirrel cage fans…
Flatwins, yes the cool squirrel cage fan is a must here in Texas, even for indoor gigs. They work great plus they make your hair look cool....if you still have hair.