A first for me - snare reso head broke during a gig.

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
At some point during a gig last night my snare sounded off to me so I just tried loosening and tightening the snare tension in an attempt to get it right again between songs. Sounded ok but not the way it should have. At the end of the night when I was packing up I saw the reason. In 50 or so years of playing this was the only time this has ever happened to me. I think because I left the snare basket a bit loose (stupidly failed to tighten it down completely), the drum must have bounced around enough to cause this. BTW it's a Tama Star series snare stand. Pisses me off a bit since we finally had a video crew filming the show for a promo video. Oh well, time to change the reso head. Any suggestions other than replacing it with another Remo???? It's a 59/60 COB trans badge supra.

Attachments

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It happens. Those heads are so thin and stretched so tight, they can pull right out of the hoop. Or get rubbed the wrong way by your snares and develop a tear.

Ptrick

Reaction score
Broken a couple over the years. I like the Aquarian snare side heads personally, hold tension better in my experience.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This isn't a super-rare occurance, especially on a head that's more than a few months old. Snare strands bounce off the bottom head and slam back down (violently) onto it with every hit. Watch it in slow-motion video sometime. It blew my mind at how much motion was present. John Aldridge told me that he replaces Bryan Hitt's reso snare head after every 3-4 shows for this very reason.

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, didn't realize it was that uncommon. Live and learn.....

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ouch! Sucks when it happens during gig. Has happened to me beforw and it's a rough work around.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Happened to my venerable Ludwig Acro while it was stored in a hard case in my (very temperate) garage. Just split down the middle ........ odd .........

Mike

Roadappledrummer

Reaction score
Had this happen a few times... check your snares...a snare with a burr on it will cause a blowout quickly.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
It happened to me once on a gig, many years ago. There was a split from rim to rim, right through the middle of the drum, under the wires. Ludwig 402. I couldn't figure out what was wrong until the band took a break. I was running a 14" floor at the time, and put the regular clear Ambassador reso from the the FT on the snare. It sounded awful (very little snare response), but it was better than NO snare-side head.
I had a spare snare batter head -- a coated Ambassador -- and put it on the reso-side of the floor-tom, with a Pinstripe batter. THAT sound particularly good.
That was probably 1992 or so. I haven't broken a drum-head since.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I never show up to a gig with fewer than two snare drums. I keep one in a case close by. Not only is it good insurance for a broken head, but if the primary doesn't sound good in a particular room, the secondary might get used.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I've looked for years and never found this. My brother told me this was the SNL skit with Tarzan, Frankenstein and Tonto doing Christmas songs, but I've watched the video and didn't see it. Supposedly they were playing Little Drummer Boy with Frankenstein holding the drum stick like a dagger stabbing the drum. And I was going to paste it here, as it seemed apropos, but alas... it must be lost to history.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Now that I gig again, I always take snare batter & snare side heads as well as a set of extra snare wires and 2 cords to attach it. My snare bag has a top zipper that conveniently holds all of these parts.

I've never had this happen, though, in 35+ years.......very weird! I keep my reso head pretty tight and only (99.9%) use hazy Ambassadors, so I can't explain it! Unless you beat this drum, I don't know why.
Check the bearing edges and for broken snare wires..........sweet snare, though!

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Agree with xsabers..................

I have an extra snare (and an extra bass pedal) at every gig...............shyte happens.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
"OH YOU're gonna have a Lotta Firsts"...

looks like that pulled out from the hoop.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Agree with xsabers..................

I have an extra snare (and an extra bass pedal) at every gig...............shyte happens.
I'm so over prepared, I even bring my own sub just in case I break something on my person!

sptucker

Reaction score
I once broke a snare reso head by accidentally punching a cradle arm through it while setting up many years ago. Other than that, I've never broken a reso or batter head in my entire gigging career. Not counting high school marching band, of course. I am dumbfounded by the prospect of a snare wire breaking a reso, and I use nothing but super-wimpy diplomat resos on all my snare drums. Maybe I'm doing something right for a change?

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Although it's a rare occurrence, it can happen. In over 50 years of playing I can only think of 3 incidents...one I attributed to a bad head, (it broke when I first tightened it)...the other two gave me reason to check and polish me bearing edges. The quality of heads has definitely declined and now i only use Ludwig snare side heads but still check them carefully before tensioning them in.

Latest posts