A Fool, A 14x8 Wooden Snare and A Botched Internal Muffler Install.

bgryderclock

Reaction score
I bought a 14x8 TAMA Snare Drum (Black Oak Wood WP148BK-BOW) a couple months ago.
I have a few marching snares I use with a loud rock drum set. I thought this deep snare drum would the intermediate step between a regular wooden snare and a wooden marching snare for "normal-er" kit.

20220617_234032.jpg

When I tested it out with the kit and found that it was very very ringing when tuned in a medium range.
It sounded okay super tight and okay super low.
I made sure the top and bottom heads were tuned good and the snare spring tension was good.

I tried muffling the head with o-rings made from old heads and/or gaffer tape with heavy coins.
It took a ridiculous amount of junk on the head to muffle it enough.
So I said screw it, and hand-sanded the batter side bearing edge with a little bit with a mild-grade sanding block to kill some sustain.

I did it and it sounded only a tiny tiny bit better.
So I said screw it, I'll install an internal muffler.

20220617_220743.jpg

I foolishly installed the internal muffler about a quarter inch too low, so you have to really crank it tight to touch the snare head at all.

20220617_220824.jpg

To fix this, I found an old puffy knit glove and I am going to try to make a thicker pad to sit on top of the felt of the internal muffler.
20220617_221042.jpg 20220617_222049.jpg

God help me. i hope this works.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bend the flat steel arm up a little so it makes contact sooner

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Joking aside, even if you add more felt the angle of the muffler will limit the contact. Since the muffler is relatively inexpensive, can you modify it? Perhaps drill a lower hole in the assembly.

tradrad

Pro
Reaction score
Joking aside, even if you add more felt the angle of the muffler will limit the contact. Since the muffler is relatively inexpensive, can you modify it? Perhaps drill a lower hole in the assembly.
that spring steel can be a pain to drill unless you have a press, but certainly 'redirecting' the arm travel by bending it and the felt seat will help alot...i DO love the 'grandma' glove and yarn approach though!! i used to keep my daughter's old sock puppet in my stick bag for times when i needed to really puff out my BD beater :)