A Good snare batter comparison video - Remo, Evans, Aquarian

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pick a winner. Which of the three big brands demo'd here are the best to you and why?

Found this just now on YT. I'll be right up front and share my impressions. Remo all day. Aquarian a distant second. Evans not even in the same building. Not even close to Remo.

Aquarian overall lacked control and definition. Evans sounded remarkably the same and bland in most cases. Remo had the most variety, clarity, tone and definition. YMMV.

I didn't expect to like thinner batters more than medium and really not care for the heavy stuff. Surprised to find out how much I enjoyed the sound of the Skyntone and Fiberskyn. Time to try a few new snare batters.

This video also makes a case for why you often don't hear ghost notes and finer playing in louder, live situations. The detail gets lost at the source, and often the snare batter won't bring it out front.

I might be switching to thinner heads in the near future.

Malc

Reaction score
I'm quickly coming around to a similar conclusion for moving onto thinner heads.
I put an Evans hd dry onto an old 80's Pearl steel snare for last night's band rehearsal and it literally killed the sound. As a stand alone drum sound I thought it was ok,but in a live situation it was really dead,almost as much as the hydraulic on the house kit we use.
I've always had a thing about reducing overtones as much as possible but am now realising they are there for a reason and losing them completely takes a lot if the musicality out of the drum.
I do like Evans heads so will order a G2 and a G1 and see where I get.
Thanks for sharing the clip.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they all sound fine depending on what you're after. So much depends on the drum itself, the tuning, the player, the style of music, the way the drum is miked, the speakers or headphones you're listening to that I couldn't reach any definitive conclusions, other than that quality drum heads can all sound great depending on what you're after.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Aquarian Texture Coated gives me everything I want out of nearly any snare drum.

The remo Skyntone Diplomat is excellent too, for lighter play.

I no longer buy Evans G series coated batters since the coating is just white spray paint. Abysmal !

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This video just reinforced all of my biases!
Remo heads sound the best to me.
Evans sound like crap.
And there's not enough to entice me to try Aquarian.

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
I've always played Remo snare batters. That line has a great variety of heads.
I play hard most of the time, so I need Remo coated Emperor snare batter heads.
And for a fatter snare sound on some occasions I often use a
14" Remo pinstripe batter head.

The one snare batter head I played on and was quite impressed with was
a snare batter head that was made of Kevlar, looked like a yellow fabric weave texture...
I can't remember the manufacturer, but it had a crispy sound when tuned high
and projected well with nice rebound. The head lasted me almost two years
until I broke through it, then I cut it up to use on top of a new snare batter head
and the sound was awesome.
A drummer friend used this same Kevlar snare batter head back in the mid 80s;
and I was lucky to find it brand new at a used instrument retailer in the 90s.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always played Remo snare batters. That line has a great variety of heads.
I play hard most of the time, so I need Remo coated Emperor snare batter heads.
And for a fatter snare sound on some occasions I often use a
14" Remo pinstripe batter head.

The one snare batter head I played on and was quite impressed with was
a snare batter head that was made of Kevlar, looked like a yellow fabric weave texture...
I can't remember the manufacturer, but it had a crispy sound when tuned high
and projected well with nice rebound. The head lasted me almost two years
until I broke through it, then I cut it up to use on top of a new snare batter head
and the sound was awesome.
A drummer friend used this same Kevlar snare batter head back in the mid 80s;
and I was lucky to find it brand new at a used instrument retailer in the 90s.
Sounds like a Duraline, which later became Bear Percussion. You could put a hole through them and they were still playable. In fact, Bear sent out a demo head to dealers with a square cut out of the center. I still have a couple of those heads around somewhere.

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Remo all day. Aquarian a distant second. Evans not even in the same building. Not even close to Remo.
My experiences exactly. The video gives a good impression, but I find it even more apparent in real life. I´m a pretty quiet player, and the differences are much more audible at low volumes.

mpungercar

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How is that a problem? Listening comparisons with one set of speakers or headphones. :scratch:
[/
That's not solely a close mic's sound. There's quite a bit ambience there too.
I don't know that it's a problem, but it's only so helpful. How a any drum sounds in any particular room to my ears is not going to be the same as what I just heard in that video. Not to mention how that head feels under my stick. Bottom line, I'm still going to have to put a head on a drum and try it for myself.

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wish I could play single ply heads...they just dent like crazy, so this comparo doesnt apply.

F
I hit hard myself but I use a fairly tight tuning and tend to put dots on any single ply heads. Tend to work great for me because I generally need a little dampening with how hard I am and they don't dent. I've found that an evans UV1 with a dot plays wonderfully at high tuning & velocity on most snares.

Now we know what 62 drumheads sound like to an SM57.... on that snare... tuned that particular way....
My thoughts exactly. I only play similar to this guy on small building/stage cover gigs. It's a cool comparison, but it's only meaningful if you meet the same criteria as him playing-wise or play/tune close to him. It did show a reason why I might have my preference for aquarian and evans at high tunings though. If the same amount of presence/body applies to higher tuning then aquarian gives wood a really beefy presence and evans on metal to one down the excess ring and give me more of the root note. Those are what I tend to use in those situations though there is always variance as snares do have their own individual sound.

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
Correct. Listening to a recorded comparison is not the same thing as listening in the same room or trying yourself, I though that's obvious.
To me listening through a familiar and a good set of headphones is not an issue at all, I know how they sound, so it's not like the headphone's are going to color the sound too much or give me surprises.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aquarian Texture Coated gives me everything I want out of nearly any snare drum.

The remo Skyntone Diplomat is excellent too, for lighter play.

I no longer buy Evans G series coated batters since the coating is just white spray paint. Abysmal !
Although I made it sound like I’m solely a Remo guy, there are some AQ heads I like, texture coated and Response II among one or two others. I’d place the texture coated in very close to the same quality and sound as an ambassador. I do find the TC needing more muffling that I like, but at least it’s lively.

But Evans... I’ve given them all the chances they’re going to get. They’d come up with something new over the years and I’d try it, only to be disappointed and wish I could get my money back. Specifically, the tone would be ok on a tom (never found a good sounding snare batter) and while a Remo would still have about 3-6 months of good tone left on it, the Evans would be done in a month. Over and over.After a handful of repeated poor experience with Evans I had to abandon them.

Meanwhile, Remo remained a stalwart of tone and reliability throughout the years, coating issues aside for the ambassador.

mcirish

Reaction score
I was very much in to the Evans HD Dry for a couple years. Then I switched to Remo CS. The sound really opened up and I got a lot more crack. I have to use a little dampening but not too much. I actually use a 2"x2"x.25" foam block that I gaff tape one side to the rim. When I hit the snare, the block pops up off the head and then drops back down to dampen the overtones while still allowing the initial full ring. But back to the story, Remo all day. I tried the FiberSkyn head on one snare. It was actually not bad. I didn't keep it on because it's not so good with brushes.

Last edited: