A good week - lots of music

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just finished a stretch of getting to play 6 times in 8 days. Would have been 7 times but for a family situation (kid's birthday). 2 rock bands, my big band, and 3 jazz quartets. And I only had to setup/tear down 3 times. Best of all was getting to play in a variety of settings with good players. Since things started back up in April I've been getting to play in groups 2-3 times a week, and it's helping me get back in shape after taking 13 months off from group work.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, two of the outings were auditions. I got an offer from one, and nothing from the other (disappointing). One was a regular jam that happens at my house, one was big band rehearsal. one was a jam at a friend's house to break in a Steinway grand that hadn't been played in a while, and the final outing was an actual gig with a quartet. My regular quartet had a rehearsal scheduled, but had to cancel.

No more auditions on the horizon at the moment, but the Tuesday jam is set to continue, as well as rehearsals with the big band and quartet, so I've regularly playing 2-3 times a week. Last week was an aberration, but hope springs eternal.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wish all the outings had been paid gigs, but at this point I'm happy to play, especially when I don't have to move gear. I'm fortunate to have room here to host, so twice this week bands will come here to play for 2-4 hours. I just keep the beer fridge supplied, an easy task. On Wednesday it's big band night at the bandleader's house, where I keep a Gretsch 13/15/22 with an RK or Rogers snare, depending. Saturday I'll have to take my drums to a gig with a fun group.

Not a lot of money being made, but I'm regaining my pre-pandemic shape pretty quickly.