A great audition for band today

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Finally! For some reason my band, DrD haven’t had a solid bass player in a few years. Our last guy was a good player but wouldn’t commit the time to learn the material. So, my singer used this guy for a show she put on and has known him for years but never thought of asking if he’d be interested.
She was using him for a show she was doing and happened to mention our problems with bass players. He told her he’d be interested.

Great guy that reminds me of Anthony Jackson (he sort of looks like him). He’s a real pocket player who plays a five string P Bass with flat wounds. It was a joy for me. He nailed the songs! A real pro. It turns out from me looking at his Bio on his web site that he's gigged with Santana, Bonnie Raitt, Clarence Clemmons, Narada Michaerl Walden, Al Dimeola...Holy Moly. I had no idea.

I used my Stage Customs with my N&C Alloy Classic snare. The kit sounded great. I’m really impressed with the SC’s. The N&C always sounds great.
A good day, all in all.

C9CB797B-9A06-4662-8573-9846A55E2BDE.jpeg
DC382181-7312-4403-8A18-4F376FA17543.jpeg

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally! For some reason my band, DrD haven’t had a solid bass player in a few years. Our last guy was a good player but wouldn’t commit the time to learn the material. So, my singer used this guy for a show she put on and has known him for years but never thought of asking if he’d be interested.
She was using him for a show she was doing and happened to mention our problems with bass players. He told her he’d be interested.

Great guy that reminds me of Anthony Jackson (he sort of looks like him). He’s a real pocket player who plays a five string P Bass with flat wounds. It was a joy for me. He nailed the songs! A real pro. It turns out from me looking at his Bio on his web site that he's gigged with Santana, Bonnie Raitt, Clarence Clemmons, Narada Michaerl Walden, Al Dimeola...Holy Moly. I had no idea.

I used my Stage Customs with my N&C Alloy Classic snare. The kit sounded great. I’m really impressed with the SC’s. The N&C always sounds great.
A good day, all in all.

View attachment 518409 View attachment 518410
Cool, good for your band! It’s not easy finding musicians who are dedicated and pro, and I agree that bass players of that kind are harder to get in a band than most other musicians, except maybe a good singer.

The bands I’ve been in have needed a dedicated bassist for years. We’ve had great bass players (and one or two who were not up to the task) but none who would commit enough to take the band where it could go.

I’m not sure I know what it is about bassists that make it this way. The ones we had were not in great demand or stretched too thin by life. I guess they were more just hobbyists, even if they were really good.

I admit that there’s a next level of musicians and musicianship that I’d like to reach where I think a larger community of dedicated people are in bands. The ones who take it more seriously.

Last edited: