A Guitar Center success story.... for me anyway.....I think.

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION- If the mentioning of dollar amounts paid and received offends you in anyway, don't read this. I'm a person very interested in market values, stories about deals, etc... and as such do not think discussing money is in any way negative.

So Friday night my faithful companion needed to go watch people drink wine (seriously, it's part of a job). The venue for this just happened to be close to my local GC. As it was the weekend and near the end of the month for me pay wise, I decided to "fire sale" a few cymbals to generate some scratch to enjoy the weekend on. I went into this fully cognizant of what I could expect to get (typically around 60% of what they will list it at). I also knew that selling on Ebay, Reverb, or even here at DFO would net me more $. But I'm really sick of packaging and shipping for one and I wanted some quick mad money.

I had a pile of cymbals that I just didn't want and/or play. So I took a 23" Soultone Gospel China, a 21" Soultone (can't remember model) flat ride, a Zildjian 25th Anniversary 23" A Custom ride, a 20" Zildjian hollow ink stamp light ride. I also took a set of 3 Sabian alu bells (7, 9, and 11 inchers).

My thought was I'd get around $350-$400 tops; I figured ~$80 each for the Soultones, $100-$150 for the A custom, $60-$75 for the light ride, and $100 for the 3 bells. Not good prices but I knew that and was OK with it.

I don't know how many of you have sold at a Guitar Center, and maybe it's just my local one..... but it took them around 15 minutes per item to process this. After about an hour the person I was working(?) with told me "we're waiting on the vintage guy about the light ride". He then went on to explain that they no longer pay out cash or write checks. Instead they use VISA bank cards..."but" he said, "there's a $500 daily limit per card....so in your case we will be issuing you at least 2 cards".

The vintage guy called back, they did not want the light ride (which was coincidently my favorite cymbal out of the ones I took in) because it was keyholed (it's not keyholed but is ovaled a bit). So the guy said "we can offer you $784 for the rest".

-sound of jaw hitting ground-

Ummmm, yeah, I took it.

Now, I'm trying to figure out what it was in the batch they bought that they think is going to make them any money. I bought the Soultones on Amazon and they were $115 (23" china) and $155 (21" flat ride), they are used but look dead mint...barely were touched. I bought the A Custom from that very store for $249 and it now has a Fireball stain and the box isn't "mint", seal has been broken... and the alu bells were bought used for maybe $150 total.

If they were to get those prices I paid that's only $669....and they paid out $784.

Am I missing something here? Did Soultones all the sudden gain a lot of popularity and value? I mean, I know I got a good price on Amazon, but still..... and Alu bells, they didn't all the sudden get rare like JCR cowbells and Kester ching rings did they? The A Custom still had their price on it.

They still haven't loaded any of these online. There is a waiting period around here do to a city ordinance on pawning, selling, etc. But I can't wait to see how they price this stuff.

Maybe GC's aren't the worst place to sell to?

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think you should march back into GC and let them know the valuation/credit was too large by your account of approximately $115.
Being the reasonable guy that I am, and knowing you have to do some driving to return GC's hard earned money, will concede to a gas allowance of $7.32.
I'll email them to so the can expect to see you and a Visa card with $107.68 sometime later today...

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently saw something similar at my local GC where they paid out $600 for a 60's Ludwig 2 piece 12/20 kit in Bronze Mist Lacquer (BML) with quite quite a bit of flaking. Fair to good condition though all original. Asking price is now $999. I sure as heck wouldn't have paid $600....and certainly wouldn't do $999. I think they basically paid retail.

Last edited:

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently saw something similar at my local GC where they paid out $600 for a 60's Ludwig 2 piece 12/20 kit in BML with quite quite a bit of flaking. Fair to good condition though all original. Asking price is now $999. I sure as heck wouldn't have paid $600....and certainly wouldn't do $999. I think they basically paid retail.
What's BML? Bronze mist?

felis

Reaction score
....Now, I'm trying to figure out what it was in the batch they bought that they think is going to make them any money. I bought the Soultones on Amazon and they were $115 (23" china) and $155 (21" flat ride), they are used but look dead mint...barely were touched. I bought the A Custom from that very store for $249 and it now has a Fireball stain and the box isn't "mint", seal has been broken... and the alu bells were bought used for maybe $150 total.

If they were to get those prices I paid that's only $669....and they paid out $784.....
They don't watch Amazon like a hawk, like some of the guys around here.
They go by what those things have sold for in their stores, and on ebay (I think).
So ya - you got a deal, and someone else is going to get burned.

I know of one piece they have right now (not mine, and not drum related), that should be selling for about $150, and they have it listed for $1799 - someone really goofed on that one.

Last piece I traded in was the opposite - they gave me less than what I knew it was worth. It sold in less than 12 hours.
I got burned on that one. But usually I think they're pretty fair.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's an incredible story, so thanks for telling it. I'm as baffled as you about the prices they paid you. Are you certain that your clerk didn't inadvertently pay you the retail price they were expecting to resell the gear for? If not, there needs to be a line of musicians in front of that store when they open up today. I don't even have any gear I'm interested in selling, but I'd find something to sell if I could expect that kind of over-paying. It's just bizarre.

On the other hand, I'd be very wary of buying anything there!

GeeDeeEmm

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you certain that your clerk didn't inadvertently pay you the retail price they were expecting to resell the gear for?

GeeDeeEmm

The clerk that drew it up handed to his manager, his manager loaded the VISA cards and handed them to me. Maybe they did pay retail price? I don't know as I didn't ask.

As far as buying from them.... I 100% inspect everything from them. When they buy drums, they look at the outside only.

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
This isn't a deal that's any where near what the OP had, but 4 weeks ago I saw a craigslist ad for a Remo djembe for $50. Looked on ebay for what they would sell for brand new and it was about $300. I go buy the drum, which was in very good used condition, march right over to GC and get $100 in trade value.

I know it's only $50, but it kind of made my day.

Samuel100

Reaction score
Hey, I just wanna congratulate so so much and that was such an incredible story!!
Regards
Samuel

Latest posts