A Guitar Center Used Gear first!

larold

Reaction score
A few days ago, I ordered a cymbal from GC's used site. It took them a few days to pack it up, but before they put it into the box and sent it off, someone from its location called to tell me that the listing had the wrong size and asked if I still wanted it or wanted to cancel it. This was a first for me, who has received several items from GC's used site that didn't match the description.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I read on another post that the same thing happened to somebody else. It's probably BS! They probably sold it to someone else that wanted it. I previously posted a comment about GC and how I can't stand buying from them. I don't see how people keep giving them the business. All I hear are bad stories about them. If buying from the big box retailers, I stick to Sam Ash. They seem to care more and I've always had good luck with them. Maybe I've just been lucky though.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Do you still have the listing or if you are like me a screen shot? Perhaps the size is marked or stamped on the cymbal. Maybe this was a rare Boy Scout moment for an employee at GC or perhaps like IROD said the is some minor subterfuge involved either way it is far too late for Guitar Center to dig themselves out of their reputation for being dishonest as a matter of policy with it’s used gear listings.

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One way that I have avoided most issues with Guitar Center is to put the accountability on me and call the store about the item before I purchase it. I once bought a Pearl Reference that was labeled as a 6.5x14 but it looked "off" due to not having enough lugs. I looked it up online and saw that the 6.5x13 had 6 lugs, then I called to confirm. I do that before every used purchase. I ask if it is there, what condition it is in and compare to the pictures and listed condition and I ask the size. Then if I feel comfortable, I buy it. I never just take their word for it because I know all too well that most who work there aren't too knowledgeable about what they sell, which is typically evident in the pricing or description... if by the off chance it is still not as advertised when it arrives, I take it back and chalk it up to the ups and downs of the used gear hunt. Happy hunting folks lol

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I agree - having received the wrong item many times (whether not matching the picture or description), I always call the store because 1) They can pull it and confirm it is in the inventory (although sometimes they sound lazy or are "not in the drum dept" or "nobody is in drums" right now), 2) I can get descriptions or ask them specifics and sometimes even get them to take pictures and TEXT them directly to me!, and 3) they almost ALWAYS charge less s/h if you deal directly with them. I document the name & time called and use that if an issue arises. Every time they've screwed up I've gotten a full refund and gotten over, and sadly, grown to accept a moderate level of expected mess ups. As annoying as it is sometimes, I deal with it.

I had a recent issue with MGR - I called them, got the guy to describe a vintage drum, and I pulled the trigger based on what he said as the listing was vague and the pics were too. When I got it, it was not as listed, the guy was just an ignorant idiot, and they didn't charge me the amount of the lower s/h he had quoted me! Turns out he completely blew it and had no authority to reduce the s/h despite quoting it and me buying it over the phone for that price! All they could say is I COULD PAY to return it ON MY DIME for a refund (which was going to leave me out a bunch of $ for their screwup), and they also said sorry, we will just use it as a training exercise......well, great!

I have shopped maybe 15+ MGR's but will never shop at that particular store again (Duluth/Atlanta, GA) and the mgr was a very rude lady in the tone of her emails......

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree - having received the wrong item many times (whether not matching the picture or description), I always call the store because 1) They can pull it and confirm it is in the inventory (although sometimes they sound lazy or are "not in the drum dept" or "nobody is in drums" right now), 2) I can get descriptions or ask them specifics and sometimes even get them to take pictures and TEXT them directly to me!, and 3) they almost ALWAYS charge less s/h if you deal directly with them. I document the name & time called and use that if an issue arises. Every time they've screwed up I've gotten a full refund and gotten over, and sadly, grown to accept a moderate level of expected mess ups. As annoying as it is sometimes, I deal with it.

I had a recent issue with MGR - I called them, got the guy to describe a vintage drum, and I pulled the trigger based on what he said as the listing was vague and the pics were too. When I got it, it was not as listed, the guy was just an ignorant idiot, and they didn't charge me the amount of the lower s/h he had quoted me! Turns out he completely blew it and had no authority to reduce the s/h despite quoting it and me buying it over the phone for that price! All they could say is I COULD PAY to return it ON MY DIME for a refund (which was going to leave me out a bunch of $ for their screwup), and they also said sorry, we will just use it as a training exercise......well, great!

I have shopped maybe 15+ MGR's but will never shop at that particular store again (Duluth/Atlanta, GA) and the mgr was a very rude lady in the tone of her emails......
Yikes... every time I have returned a used item, they refunded my entire purchase plus the shipping.

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had this happen with my first used gear purchase at GC. They called me before shipping. Broken strainer on a vintage snare. No parts available to fix it. "We can sell it to you for 50% off, if you still want it."

"Yes, please. Thank you. "

drumsforme

Reaction score
Yes it is always best to call that GC store and speak to a person and get their name-and now you have a salesperson. Ask them to inspect the item. I've been able to avoid returning items If there is an issue and if the item does not ship on a timely basis you can refer to that salesperson. In one case I had ordered a used item in a GC and the item sat in the store for two days, unshipped. I called my salesperson who notified the store's Operations Mgr. and they shipped it out next day delivery for me...., plus I found out that the salesperson you are dealing with gets the commission $$ on that sale and now I have no problem buying used gear from GC.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think this is common knowledge and a frequent occurrence which is why they tend to have a no questions asked full refund policy.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry for being ignorant. I didn't know that the return policy was like that. That's cool!
At least I know now that they have that safety net for buyers.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I scour the GC used stuff.
They consistently mislabel all the time.
I call them out on it sometimes.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
GC won't refund s/h on a used item if you simply don't like it - it has to be broken, not as described, or the wrong item!

Another MGR sold me a vintage snare that was beat up beyond the description and the salesperson described it wrong as he didn't know it did not have proper parts. He agreed to refund me 50% which was acceptable as he didn't want it back and said they should not have bought it in the first place. I agreed and used the drum for some of the correct working parts and the shell as a tester for honing my woodworking skills....

larold

Reaction score
A few days ago, I ordered a cymbal from GC's used site. It took them a few days to pack it up, but before they put it into the box and sent it off, someone from its location called to tell me that the listing had the wrong size and asked if I still wanted it or wanted to cancel it. This was a first for me, who has received several items from GC's used site that didn't match the description.
The cymbal is back up on GC's used site, with the same listing error in size. If anyone wants a 22.5" Soultone 1964 ride listed as a 24" but still at a low price, here's the listing:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Soultone/24in-Ride-Cymbal.gc

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Someone just got a crazy deal on a vintage Ludwig 6ply Maple/Poplar kit from GC. It was listed as a Ludwig Rocker but it was a Blue/Olive badge CM in white Cortex wrap. It had 13x9, 14x10, 16x16, 18x16 and 24x14 kick with dual spurs and it was in great condition for only $299!! I should've bought it myself but it was purchased before I could put in my card information LOL

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on GC used gear. Awesome

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah happened to me, Paiste 2002 SE hats labeled 14” but actually 15”. Almost new condition and super cheap. After my order I got A call saying the size was incorrect...I told the guy to please send them right away...lol