A list of all drum shops in the US. How many have you been to?

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m surprised Hawthorne’s in Pennsylvania made the list based on your criteria.

I thought that was one of those underground, nondescript, no visible signage, have to know a guy who knows a guy, arrange a meeting by leaving coded messages in the third stall along and agree to be driven out to the secret location while blindfolded, specialty boutiques.
That was at his previous locations. (It sounds like you've been to them.) ;)

These days he is in an actual retail location above Hollowood Music. Hollowood has been around since 1965, but not in the drum business. In the 1990s they rented the third floor out to Waddell's Drum shop.

Hollowood music tried a different location in the early 2000s, and rented space to Drum World. A Guitar Center opened nearby and Hollowood returned to their previous location.

From 2017 through 2020 the Pittsburgh Drum Exchange was on the second floor at Hollowood.

Chris Hawthorne moved into the second floor of Hollowood Music's building a few months back, hired an employee and now keeps regular hours. It is at this point primarily a vintage drum shop, he is a Zildjian dealer. Chris is a great guy, I'm glad to see him at this location. I want to see him do well there.

(I briefly entertained opening a drum shop in that space when PDE closed. If I were ten years younger, I'd have done it.)

Last edited:

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
4 - Stebal’s (my local hangout), Maxwells Chicago, Forks, and DCP.

The two I spend the most time in are long gone - Frank’s & Drums Ltd. Both in Chicago.

Last edited:

kevinyarger

Reaction score
Chicago Drum Exchange is missing.

I've been to Maxwells in IL, CME, Forks, Professional Drum Shop in LA and Memphis drum shop.

Sadly no more Skins & Tins, drum pad, Chad Sexton drum city(CA), Vic's drum shop, Drums 2 Go(FL) there was a drum shop(more like shack) in Redondo Beach back in 2007 I went to. I also recall stepping into a shop in Nebraska sometime 2004 but I don't recall either shops names unfortunately.

Kenwood

Reaction score
Village Drum and Music
to appeal to other musicians and music students
Anthony does sell other stuff
but new and vintage drums and percussion along with repairs
is really their main thing Love the place

Al Drew's is about 75% drums and 25% other stuff
If you need nos Roger's stuff Dave Drew may have it

Last edited:

Lee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
nothing in Alaska?
there's a business opportunity.
The only really serious drum shop that was in Alaska was Vinnie’s Drum Shop, but he closed down years ago. It was in Anchorage. Mammoth Music is about the only game in town up there, and, of course, GC. There is diddly in Fairbanks or Juneau.

Reactions: JDA

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don’t see

Drugan’s Drums, Des Plaines, IL

Fred Pierce’s Studio Drum Shop, Overland, MO

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 of 5 in Cali - Bentleys (50+ times) and Pro Drum (maybe 5-10X when I lived there). Also, I am not sure if it exists anymore but OC Drum & Percussion used to be in Fountain Valley. It was a GC-sized warehouse full of kits, cymbals, snares, etc. I bought a 90's 18" K thin dark crash (my first new nice cymbal) and a 5x14 DW maple (my first used drum) in the mid 90's there and I still have both! I need to get to Drummer's Tradition in San Raf one of these days, too.

(I googled it - looks long gone - yes, they are the same as the OCDP drum brand - I think they closed shop and focused on production).

Too bad I missed Vics - I am going to see Maxwell NYC one day and hope to get to Memphis Drum shop and check out the gong chamber - road trip???Maybe drive to the E.C. and hit most, if not all, of those listed. I know I've bought from quite a few.....

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
Exactly

Fred’s been around 40 years
Fred’s was in business when I was looking to buy my first pro level kit in 1974. At that time, he was in the basement of Scotty Moore’s pedal steel shop. He was one of the earliest dealers to sell Pearl Drums in the U.S.

Reaction score
RSB Percussion (Northport, Alabama)
Fred Pierce's Studio Drum Shop (St. Louis, Missouri)

gutenberg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm so sad all the cool NYC shops are gone. Modern Drum Shop, Professional Percussion Center, Drummers World, and of course Manny's, Alex Music, Sam Ash and all the others

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Let's See:

Maxwell's NYC
LI Drum Center-Long Island
LI Drum Center-NYACK
Drum Den Hoboken
Rupps Denver
Fork's Nashville
Pro Drum Hollywood.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm so sad all the cool NYC shops are gone. Modern Drum Shop, Professional Percussion Center, Drummers World, and of course Manny's, Alex Music, Sam Ash and all the others
When I was a teenager Pittsburgh had a great shop called "DRUMS". It was a dealer for Ludwig, Slingerland, Rogers, Gretsch and Premier. They always had at least a couple of kits from each brand in stock. The owner and staff were great to deal with, even with a young kid like me. I moved away in 1979, by the time I returned in 1991 they were long gone. I still miss that store and drive past their old location when I'm in that neighborhood. (Crafton.)

Out of all of the stores we've lost in the past few years, I miss Skins N Tins the most. I want to go to the Chicago drum shop just to say "hi". Terry and Liz are two of the nicest people I know.

Last edited: