A Little Appreciation for Phil Collins

SpinaDude

Reaction score
I know this isn't a complicated song, but Phil is so f@&%in' pocket on this!! My favorite version of this song.

I know he's a great player, but it doesn't seem like he gets all the respect he deserves. There are plenty of more complicated things I've seen him play, but damn, he hammers this one and it's not something most people would associate him with.

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I love this tune. Especially the drum fill that Chester taught him from his Roxy and Elsewhere days.

Last edited:

Nubs

Reaction score
So many lefties in one video! I LOVE IT!

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Normally I'd post one of Phil's drumming workouts from early Genesis. Since we're looking at other sides of his craft, here is an example of him playing with utmost restraint and for the music:

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Normally I'd post one of Phil's drumming workouts from early Genesis. Since we're looking at other sides of his craft, here is an example of him playing with utmost restraint and for the music:

I had no idea this was Phil. Bruford copped this part for Matte Kudasai.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been following Phil's playing on and off since the late 70's - He went from serious chops fusion/prog drummer to huge pocket session hitmaker. As I was getting away from Prog, he started doing gigs like Robert Plant, which is some of my favorite playing. Here are two contrasting tracks from Phil:

The track with John Martyn is an album that Phil produced and played on - worth checking out the whole record...

The guy you want in your corner for a hit record: