A little brush stuff

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After about 10 years (as near as I can tell), it feels like time for some new brushes, which means modifying the new ones. Like many, I want a narrower spread of the wires, something non-retractable brushes don't allow. But some black electrical tape works very nicely, and lasts a looooong time.

My brushes used to get really beaten up in the stick bag, and I was always having to bend some wires back into line until I figured out to cut off the plastic tube the new ones come in and insert it into a pocket of my stick bag, making a protective holster for the wires. This works so well that I'm not retiring my old brushes. They'll instead live on my home set. Actually, the decision to buy new brushes came because the Vater wooden handle models I have at home don't feel the same as my Clayton Cameron Regal Tips, and I want consistency.

Time to go practice a little.

Attachments

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have quite a few pairs of brushes of different types and brands. I rather like the FLIX nylon jazz brushes for heavier work and the Vic Firth Steve Gadd model for a nicer sweep. I used Clayton Cameron brushes for a while and kept them in that plastic tube that they came in but that was a bit bulky for the stick bag so both the tube and the brushes went into the drawer ....

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
Like most of you, I've been through many types of wire and nylon brushes. I was asked to play with a choir and I pulled out these ancient, well-worn retractables only because they were easy to locate (my stick bags, etc. are put away deep in the basement as I'm not playing much these days).

Can't say enough good about them. Nice wide spread provides a meaty accent, and I'm able to swirl some nuances that evaded me on other (and more expensive) brushes. A pleasant surprise. I'll be using these more!

Attachments