A Little Concerned About a Neil Peart Statue

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it's not just the face. The grip makes him look like a gorilla, that kit is the worst DW clone I've ever seen (they could have just modeled it off Chromey), and the drums are set up like an oddball Bop kit on the left and who knows what's going on with the floor tom on the right?

You think they would have consulted a drummer or at least looked at some of the tons of photos online to get a better idea of what would honor The Professor accurately and with dignity.......

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes its pretty bad, the proportions of everything. Why didn't the artist get this vetted by a drummer?
May have been better to just have him in this position with stick or cymbal.

Attachments

gretschdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just an observation and bear with me on this and don't take offense.

I've since high school been a huge JRR Tolkien fan, read all his books multiple times and was a big D&D geek so when the LoTR movies came out me and my geek buddy and our wives went to see them on opening nights. Must have been miserable for our wives because we basically just heckled the movies because of their "hollywood" departures from the actual story.

We were JRRT geeks, we knew all of the little details and bastardization took away from the "art" of the movies for us.

Seeing that a little bit here. And I don't mean that in a bad way, just an observation.
I agree
I thinks it’s wonderful that someone I admired is represented with a statue to honor him

I know it’s not drum set perfect but I’ll guarantee 99 percent of the people won’t notice and admonish it for its lack of technical accuracy

We have the same problem in St. Louis with the Stan Musial statue

It’s not a spitting image of Stan the man

But it’s nice it’s there and it grows on you

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree
I thinks it’s wonderful that someone I admired is represented with a statue to honor him

I know it’s not drum set perfect but I’ll guarantee 99 percent of the people won’t notice and admonish it for its lack of technical accuracy

We have the same problem in St. Louis with the Stan Musial statue

It’s not a spitting image of Stan the man

But it’s nice it’s there and it grows on you
Thanks and yeah, I totally agree.

An amazing man, musician and mind is being honored. Celebrate his life and accomplishments.

And it really isn't a bad rendition at all, IMO.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
I think he deserves a statue, sorry.
I'm wondering if anyone here actually thinks getting a posthumous statue was on Neil's bucket list. I truly think he'd be mortified at the possibility. People should only be immortalized in statue if that was their living style.

Would Prince have wanted a statue? Pre- religious conversion: probably; post-conversion: maybe.
Bowie? Mos def!
Yngwie has a wet dream about the prospect every night.
Peart? He wanted his music front and center, but endeavored to keep his persona as far out of the public eye as possible.

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone here actually thinks getting a posthumous statue was on Neil's bucket list. I truly think he'd be mortified at the possibility. People should only be immortalized in statue if that was their living style.

Would Prince have wanted a statue? Pre- religious conversion: probably; post-conversion: maybe.
Bowie? Mos def!
Yngwie has a wet dream about the prospect every night.
Peart? He wanted his music front and center, but endeavored to keep his persona as far out of the public eye as possible.
Funerals are often said to be for the living, not the dead. I think statues and memorials are also for the living. The wishes of the dead should be taken into account, but it's not really about them anymore. It's how the living choose to remember and honor them, in particular this local community that Peart immortalized in his lyrics.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
Funerals are often said to be for the living, not the dead. I think statues and memorials are also for the living. The wishes of the dead should be taken into account, but it's not really about them anymore. It's how the living choose to remember and honor them, in particular this local community that Peart immortalized in his lyrics.
Exactly! When the deceased's wishes are inconvenient, they should be dismissed because we require mediocre likenesses birds can poop on. It's totally not about Neil at all when someone makes a statue of him. I see now.

WLVN

Reaction score
Maybe good enough to be scaled down and marketed to kids as a toy. Nowhere near good enough as a statue to memorialize anyone. It barely resembles him or his drums. Reminds me of the extreme license they take with celebrities and artists in a wax museum... I hate wax museums!

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly! When the deceased's wishes are inconvenient, they should be dismissed because we require mediocre likenesses birds can poop on. It's totally not about Neil at all when someone makes a statue of him. I see now.
Nobody but the most self important jerk would actually say they wanted to be memorialized with a statue. There's no way George Washington would have been comfortable with the idea of statues of him all over the country. Yet we have statues of all kinds of people. That's the deal. You do enough to make an impact on enough people, you get a statue. End of story.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
Nobody but the most self important jerk would actually say they wanted to be memorialized with a statue. There's no way George Washington would have been comfortable with the idea of statues of him all over the country. Yet we have statues of all kinds of people. That's the deal. You do enough to make an impact on enough people, you get a statue. End of story.
No good deed goes unpunished, I suppose.