A little GEORGE WAY love... I don't consider myself a collector but these things are mutipling! SHOW YOURS!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, so was mine. The guy I bought it from had taken it to Sweetwater's Gear Fest a couple of years ago and had Ron sign it there. I've just never seen a Way signed and named. The fact I sold that one snare means I will sell more of them over time. I suspect had I kept it, I would be in the GHW collection business full time by now!

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
OK, I wont start a new thread to show off this beauty as I know how much some people really love Ron Dunnett and those threads tend to head south without warning, but I wanted to share my newest addition with those who, like me, are fans of the George Way line.

Meet "SINKER" born just a few week ago on December 26, 2019. I asked Ron where the name came from and he said it literally sat in the chemical sink for over a full year and thus the inspiration. Whenever he would work on a 2N Patina series snare, he would work on this 6.5" Way model as well, then rinse it off and leave it in the sink to keep aging. This is the only Way he has done the actual Dunnett line patina finish on.

It sounds wonderful in all of it's 11 pound brassy glory, but it also looks stunning as well!!! I am thrilled to add this to my collection! Thanks for the look!

Ward

20200118_205639 copy.jpg

20200118_205935 copy.jpg

20200118_210115 copy.jpg

20200118_204245 copy.jpg

20200114_125810 copy.jpg

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There was a walnut 6.5 at Fork's a few years ago that I fell in love with but didn't have the cash at the time. That drum still haunts me.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There was a walnut 6.5 at Fork's a few years ago that I fell in love with but didn't have the cash at the time. That drum still haunts me.
I know what you mean... their are always those a few "what if" drums that stay in our memories. I have a couple of those as well.

I have no idea why I am drawn to the Way line as I am. I typically am more of a 10 lug snare guy and I really dont like their 845 throw-off at all, but like a moth to the flame I am always on the look out for the next unique version floating out there somewhere!

Last edited:

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have no idea why I am drawn to the Way line as I am. I typically am more of a 10 lug snare guy and I really dont like their 845 throw-off at all, but like a moth to the flame I am always on the looking for the next unique version floating out there somewhere!
I can relate, brother. There's something very barebones appealing about them, not to mention they sound great.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the George Way history pod cast with Ron. The series in general is excellent and I’m grateful it’s being offered.

Here is a link to new Way & Dunnett offerings at NAMM 2020.

Ron, if you’re listening I’d love to buy one GHW bass drum cymbal mount from you. Thanks!

Perelandra05

Reaction score
I know the moment I say anything dealing with Ron Dunnett it will elicit a slew of dissenting comments and thats fine, I'm a big boy and dont really care. I have found myself on the opposite side of Ron's position more than once and in fact, the only person I think I every actually argued with on DFO was him! But dang it, the man can build some feakin' sweet drums! I have always thought George Way was the godfather of the modern drum set as we know it today. So many things we take for granted came from his involvement and I love seeing the relaunch of the brand with such attention to detail bring so successful. I think Ron was THE man to resurrect this brand and I for one have been bit pretty hard.

View attachment 410680

I picked up a couple of new models this past week and wanted to share them here and ask you guys to post your GHW drums here as well. I grabbed this Rosewood model from our own Blase and it's pretty darn sweet....

2016 Way 14x6.5 Pantages Rosewood

View attachment 410678
2018 Way 14x7 Carter McLean Signature Model, 2 ply Acacia

View attachment 410679
2015 Way 6 ½” X14” Elkhart Copper

View attachment 410675

2013 Way 6 ½” X14” Tradition Birch

View attachment 410677

And for fun I added my 2018 Dunnett 5 ½” X 14” 2N Modeling Series Brass to the family photo. I dont even know if I will even keep all of these drum but I can assure you that they will all not leave my hand.

View attachment 410681

Just having fun with them tonight, so now POST YOUR GEORG WAY DRUMS.... OLD OR NEW
Of the wood drums which would you say really stands out?

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Of the wood drums which would you say really stands out?
Of the 5 I currently own only two are wood as I have sold the Birch Traditions since the orgional photos were taken. Choosing between the Rosewood and Acacia it's a tough call but I am going to tip my hat to the Acacia. And that actually surprises me because I am not normally a 7" deep fan, but the drum is pretty special.

I buy, sell and swap all the time (I even have the 5" COB Hollywood for sale on the boards as we speak) but I don't see me selling either of the two remaining wood drums. Not only are they pretty limited (both being under 40 produced) they just sound GREAT! In fact, of my entire collection, they are the ONLY ply shell drums I even own.

I really enjoyed the George Way history pod cast with Ron. The series in general is excellent and I’m grateful it’s being offered.
Thanks for those videos, I have not heard that long form interview before, was enjoyable.

W

Last edited:

Perelandra05

Reaction score
Of the 5 I currently own only two are wood as I have sold the Birch Traditions since the orgional photos were taken. Choosing between the Rosewood and Acacia it's a tough call but I am going to tip my hat to the Acacia. And that actually surprises me because I am not normally a 7" deep fan, but the drum is pretty special. I buy,

sell and swap all the time (I even have the 5" COB Hollywood for sale on the boards as we speak) but I don't see me selling either of the two remaining wood drums. Not only are they pretty limited (both being under 40 produced) they just sound GREAT! In fact, of my entire collection, they are the ONLY ply shell drums I even own.

Thanks for those videos, I have not heard that long form interview before, was enjoyable.

W
Yep, i'm not a Birch fan either, just doesn't resonate with my aesthetics. I've just started digging into the wood snare drums recently after i've got pretty much all the metal staples out of the way. I have a 7x14 cherry monoply Noble and Cooley on order but its still another month or so until it will be manufactured. I was looking into a broadkaster but the Way stuff is intriguing. Wouldn't mind picking up something with a different vibe to what the N&C will bring.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm in full agreement with you, Fat Drummer. They are exceptional snares at their price point, and at one time I owned quite a few, as seen here. All gone now, but I would bring another into the fold in a heartbeat.

(Bottom L-R) (1) Advance: Solid Ply Maple; (2) Studio: Maple; (3) Studio: Maple; (4) Studio: Mahogany
(Middle L-R) (1) Aero: Aluminum; (2) Pantages: Rosewood; (3) Elkhart: Copper
(Top) Hollywood: Brass

Love this photo!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I spent a little time with the drums today doing general maintenance and snapped a new family portrait! I know the 5.5 COB is currently for sale but dang I might change my mind... what a great sounding drum!

Groov-E

Reaction score
4-5 years ago I passed on a studio 20-12-14 in piano black with a slight blemish on the bd, selleing for 1300$cad.

I am still kicking myself over that one. That kit was the bomb.

I own and love two dunnett snares (ti and brass), and a GWay kit is on my short list if I ever need/want another kit.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
4-5 years ago I passed on a studio 20-12-14 in piano black with a slight blemish on the bd, selleing for 1300$cad.

I am still kicking myself over that one. That kit was the bomb.

I own and love two dunnett snares (ti and brass), and a GWay kit is on my short list if I ever need/want another kit.
For me, it was a limited edition 4-piece cherry kit on eBay — 20/12/14 and snare. I consciously chose not to bid on it because I’d just bought another kit a couple days before I saw the listing. It ended up selling for like $1,100. Ugh.

Jorn

Reaction score
Does anyone know where the shells are made and where the assembly is done?

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My understanding is the Way shells (with a few one off exceptions) are produced in Taiwan and finished/assembled in Vancover Canada.

Last edited:

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Here is a link to new Way & Dunnett offerings at NAMM 2020.

Ron, if you’re listening I’d love to buy one GHW bass drum cymbal mount from you. Thanks!
Is Ronn making these and selling them? They are also the FT bracket. Is he making original BD spurs and legs? I cannot find out from the website.

Is he making vintage snare throw off repros?

You fiends should check out the Way one-off kit from NAMM that Donn Bennett has for sale in Retail Row. Unbelievable!

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is Ronn making these and selling them? They are also the FT bracket. Is he making original BD spurs and legs? I cannot find out from the website.

Is he making vintage snare throw off repros?

You fiends should check out the Way one-off kit from NAMM that Donn Bennett has for sale in Retail Row. Unbelievable!
I understand the FT bracket/cymbal mount hardware is being made for the George Way drums/set but with rare exception is not being sold separately. It also has a larger hole for the legs/stands. I attempted to contact Ronn twice in December to build a drum and buy hardware but have not received a response. I did the same time through Donn Bennett Studios and also have not received a response.

Latest posts