A little OT: Movies with great original music

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So with covid still going on we've mostly been at home spending time together and streaming lots of movies both old and new. Tonight we watched oceans 11 (the one with clooney) and it's been a long time since I'd seen that one and forgot just how good the original music was in that one. It just had such good groove and mood setting to the scenes. I know this topicjas probably been brought up before but what movies have you seen that had just great original music to it?

Way Out Wardell

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Three come to my mind: first and probably obviously, Birdman. Then, the Bullitt soundtrack by Lalo Schiffrin is fantastic from start to finish. Lastly, the original compositions by Elmer Bernstein for LA Confidential really set the tone for the entire film wonderfully.

Mike_b

Reaction score
Ghost dog: way of the samurai, forest Whittaker.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Psycho: A classic Bernard Hermann score, employing only a string orchestra.
Star Wars: One of the all-time greatest and most evocative film scores. (By John Williams)
Jaws: John Williams's big breakthrough. You're hooked after the first two notes.
The Third Man: Beautifully atmospheric, this score uses only a zither for the entire film. (By Anton Karas)
A Hard Day's Night: Music by Lennon/McCartney and Sir George Martin, brilliantly employed by director Richard Lester. (Having John Lennon sing "If I Fell" to Ringo in an effort to cheer him up is sheer genius.)

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Even though I don't want to Wang Chung Tonight they did a brilliant job scoring this movie ..

Last edited:

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked the music from Interstellar....Phillip Glass's work on 'the hours' and the illusionist' and i love the move and sound track to a movie called 'near dark'. The soundtrack is by Tangerine Dream and it was the first movie directed by Kathryn Bigelow featuring many of the cast from Aliens.

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
I really liked the music for The Mandalorian and all Star Wars really. Jurassic Park too since I’m talking about John Williams. Some others I like a lot are Requiem for a Dream, O Brother Where Art Thou?, and that awesome drum beat they kept playing throughout season 1 of Fargo I really loved lol

Also, the music for Inside Llewyn Davis is also fantastic but I dunno if that counts as a soundtrack exactly...similar to O Brother Where Art Thou? Just good music throughout

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Many of my favorites have already been listed. I find that the music score either supports the film, carries the film or is equal to the film (or the exact opposites).
I would add:

Lawrence of Arabia
Dr. Zhivago
To Kill a Mockingbird
Casablanca
The Cowboys (John Williams. and my favorite John Wayne western)

Das Boot (1981) for me is an example of the experiment of electronic music (early/poorly sampled Orchestral music) that is well written, but could have boosted the entire movie had it been recorded by a live orchestra.

Last edited:

boomstick

Reaction score
Flash Gordon. Soundtrack by Queen, perfectly matching the campy, exciting, over-the-top vibe of the movie.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Quincy Jones wrote some great soundtracks. The Getaway and In the Heat of the Night/They call me Mr. Tibbs come to mind.
As far as thirller soundtracks go, Lalo Schifrin has been mentioned (Bullitt), he also wrote Mission Impossible and others in the same vein.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lots of good ones mentioned.

My all-time favorite is Shadow of the Vampire, soundtrack by Dan Jones. All the music in it is great, but the “overture” (opening credits) is what I consider to be the greatest orchestral music written since Stravinsky, maybe since Wagner.