A Man Needs a Gong

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Roof rack! Just make sure you have it angled down in front lest it become a flying saucer.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is going to go over like a lead “gong” but technically what you all are talking about is a Tam Tam, which does not have a definite pitch and therefore makes a crashing sound. A gong does have a pitch and its sound is more like a bell.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is going to go over like a lead “gong” but technically what you all are talking about is a Tam Tam, which does not have a definite pitch and therefore makes a crashing sound. A gong does have a pitch and its sound is more like a bell.
From the very Wikipedia entry you cited:
"Gongs produce two distinct types of sound. A gong with a substantially flat surface vibrates in multiple modes, giving a "crash" rather than a tuned note. This category of gong is sometimes called a tam-tam to distinguish it from the bossed gongs that give a tuned note."

So yes, what I have is technically a tam-tam type of gong. Tam-tam is a subset of gongs.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the very Wikipedia entry you cited:
"Gongs produce two distinct types of sound. A gong with a substantially flat surface vibrates in multiple modes, giving a "crash" rather than a tuned note. This category of gong is sometimes called a tam-tam to distinguish it from the bossed gongs that give a tuned note."

So yes, what I have is technically a tam-tam type of gong. Tam-tam is a subset of gongs.
My knowledge on this comes from experience more than the article. I just included it for clarity and brevity. Sometimes you may need more clarity.
3ACE5566-5688-447F-BB27-C1E30D01A580.jpeg

Gkup

Reaction score
I used to have a 32" Paiste gong back in the 70s. I sold it and have regretted it ever since. Years later I wanted to get another one to use on Bohemian Rhapsody at a piano bar I play at every weekend. When I started pricing them in today's market I realized that it was out of the question. To compensate for a real gong here's what I did. I bought a galvanized lid for a 50 gallon drum. Painted it like a gong, slapped a piezo trigger on the back and fed it through my Roland TM-2. I use it once a night on that song and people go crazy when I do. The whole thing cost me about $30 to make and the realistic sample along with a real gong mallet helps sell the illusion. This is the only picture I could find right now but you get the idea. Hey, it works. lol.

Attachments

Slingwig26

Reaction score
"Should I bring a gong to my gig?"
"Yes!"
For good looks is enough, but I use my gong once(!) every show - as a starter for the final song. Really gets the crowd going - they start smiling as soon as I stand up with the mallet, with a grin on my face!

Used it twice at a festival, we were the first band out day two.
Later in the evening the shuttle driver to the hotel looked at me and said: "You're the guys who played first today, aren't you? Thanx for the wake up call!!"
Yes! I want a gong SO bad! Bring it, amaze your friends, amaze your fans.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
How is the 26”? I am considering one myself.
It's a good size. Very manageable to haul around if you gig with it. I found a 26" gong bag to carry it in. And the sound is still big enough that you know it's a gong! Lol. One of the producers I work with sampled it and uses it on albums here and there.

Slingwig26

Reaction score
It's a good size. Very manageable to haul around if you gig with it. I found a 26" gong bag to carry it in. And the sound is still big enough that you know it's a gong! Lol. One of the producers I work with sampled it and uses it on albums here and there.
Thanks, it’s not like I am playing Madison Square Garden, haha

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I LOVE my 28" Wuhan Wind Gong.
It has a great sound, opens up pretty quick and then gets out of the way. I like that because It sustains for a decent time, but don't think I could take the "nnnnnnnnn" going on for a long time (minutes) like gongs that have the flange on the outside.

I got it in '06 and haven't really done many gigs without it since.
I made a bag with sturdy handles, so it's very easy to carry, AND that bag holds a full set of heads too.

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in GC yesterday and saw a 26" Agzarian gong for $300 +$100 for the stand. It was very cool and had a nice low vibratory sound. Unfortunately I could not smash on it like I was tempted to do!

mws

Reaction score
One of the most fun percussion-related experiences I've had was participating in Tatsuya Nakatani's travelling gong orchestra. Such wild powerful fun. I need a gong! Check out Tatsuya's work if you want to go on an adventure!

20201227_130838.jpg

20201227_130907.jpg

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was in GC yesterday and saw a 26" Agzarian gong for $300 +$100 for the stand. It was very cool and had a nice low vibratory sound. Unfortunately I could not smash on it like I was tempted to do!
Whaaa? I bet there was some guitar dude cranking/wanking out on one of those ditties that folks aren't supposed to play, while making the rest of the customers up their speaking volume...lol.
I would go back and give it a good whallop!!
bt