A n g r y

Stefanie.

Reaction score
Hello everyone :D
It’s been a while since I posted my first thread... If anyone who helped me/commented on that thread happens to be reading this, thank you! I appreciate it!! Anyway, since then I got my ~first drum set~ It’s a pearl export that came with a ride/crash/and hihats that honestly kinda sound like you’re banging two trash can lids whenever you play them o.0 Still like it though :) Although, I have been feeling slightly mad at myself because yesterday I went to go scroll through drumset posts and I saw someone posted a Yamaha stage custom for $300. It also included cymbals and said they could do free shipping :’( Yeahh, a bit upset by this because I’ve seen many people say Yamaha stage customs are really good and that specific set was all complete, nothing wrong with it, while my set did have *some* items missing like the resonant heads and the 13” Tom is missing a hoop :’) I know I’ll have to spend more money on that, which will hurt.. cause if I had that Yamaha stage custom I wouldn’t need to spend more, you know?... The thing I may be more worried about is the sound quality. I know Yamaha already beats a pearl export in sound quality but is there any way you could get a pearl export to sound just as good as Yamaha?.. Or like- could you get a pearl export to sound really good? I’m worried about this now because at some point in the future I want to try and record with it. It probably won’t be studio quality but could you do anything to make it *almost*- studio quality? If anyone does have an idea, thank youuuu!! Either way, I hope you’re having a lovely day!

OldeEnglishD

Reaction score
Yep, quality heads make a huge difference on how your kit sounds. Exports are not bad drums at all. Put some good heads on em and upgrade your cymbals with used pro level when you can (Sabian AA or Zildjian A's, or Dream Contact series, etc.) and you should be good to go!

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it as this probably won't be your last drum set. As others have said, experiment with heads and tunings and you can shop for better cymbals on the used market. The studio makes average instruments sound much better, which has been my limited experience.

Last edited:

gretschdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually exports have now an inner ply of Asian dark wood and poplar outer

Don’t want to get into debate of mahogany Luan Philippine etc

But put some coated ambassadors on them and they’ll sound deep and warm

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you have your kit, stay away from sale ads! You’re always going to find a better deal if you keep looking, so put that behind you and work with the kit you have now, which is fine for what you need and it will serve your purpose well. Nothing wrong with the kit you have. Good luck!

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
nothing wrong with pearl exports ...
x2

I've owned 3 of them over my lifetime and if I could go back I would have gone with an Export over the Decade I went with. Not that I'm unhappy with the Decade, it's fine but the Export is also and for the price it's pretty versatile.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
My first "good" kit was a Pearl Export and I still use it as my primary gigging kit close to 20 years later. I did a couple coats of a wipe-on polyurethane on the inside and that seemed to help a little bit, but the biggie is new heads and proper tuning. I've always been decent at tuning, but I've gotten a lot better the last few years and now those drums have never sounded better. As with anything else, I know there's still room for improvement though. I learned from Prof. Sound's Drum Tuning Bible, but now there are so many good videos on youtube to help you learn.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Smoky Chrome guy?
Nothing wrong with Pearl Exports. Like others have said, good heads + tuning and you're there. Probably everyone here has played a backline Export kit at some point, they're good solid middle of the road drums.
There is always another deal that was better, cars, houses, TV's, drums, cymbals, you get it?
Make the best of what you've got, learn from the past and try to make better decisions on the next purchase.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone :D
It’s been a while since I posted my first thread... If anyone who helped me/commented on that thread happens to be reading this, thank you! I appreciate it!! Anyway, since then I got my ~first drum set~ It’s a pearl export that came with a ride/crash/and hihats that honestly kinda sound like you’re banging two trash can lids whenever you play them o.0 Still like it though :) Although, I have been feeling slightly mad at myself because yesterday I went to go scroll through drumset posts and I saw someone posted a Yamaha stage custom for $300. It also included cymbals and said they could do free shipping :’( Yeahh, a bit upset by this because I’ve seen many people say Yamaha stage customs are really good and that specific set was all complete, nothing wrong with it, while my set did have *some* items missing like the resonant heads and the 13” Tom is missing a hoop :’) I know I’ll have to spend more money on that, which will hurt.. cause if I had that Yamaha stage custom I wouldn’t need to spend more, you know?... The thing I may be more worried about is the sound quality. I know Yamaha already beats a pearl export in sound quality but is there any way you could get a pearl export to sound just as good as Yamaha?.. Or like- could you get a pearl export to sound really good? I’m worried about this now because at some point in the future I want to try and record with it. It probably won’t be studio quality but could you do anything to make it *almost*- studio quality? If anyone does have an idea, thank youuuu!! Either way, I hope you’re having a lovely day!
It's all about learning to work with what you have. Don't give a thought beyond that. The great thing is that you get to tailor that gear to your needs, nobody else's. Drumming is about independent thinking. Finding/establishing the groove. It's about challenges and how you interpret them. I know of folks who've spent a mint on a premium kit that sound like cardboard box thumps. Your choice was a very good one to start. Those Pearls will teach you the greatest thing, tuning. They'll teach you to make do with you don't have. You'll learn to find their sweet spots and their tuning range. Nothing beats the kit you have in your possession. The kit someone else has does nothing for you, only YOUR kit does. So don't give time to something you don't have and build your skills at what you have in your possession. They will teach you how to tune a drum to it's best for you. Don't worry about the cymbals, work with them, no matter their sound, they're there. In your soul they should be the best drums in the world, the best cymbals too. After all, they're YOURS! Learn to set your kit so that it provides the best comfort and economics of movement to start. Give extreme attention to getting the best throne/seat possible first. Drumming should NEVER become uncomfortable!

Last edited:

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those are better drums than the drums that were used on huge hits in the 70s. Focus on grooving on snare/kick/hats and forget about buying more drums until you've got that together, and perhaps a live gig.

I kinda speak from experience. :)

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Exports have changed over the years. I believe there were a few early 90s models that had birch in the mix somewhere. All I know is that I put Pin Stripe heads on my friend's Export kit(the kind with the fake high-tension long lugs) and those drums absolutely slayed in the studio. Everyone was raving about the sound. There's probably no reason you can't get a happening sound out of the Exports unless there is a bearing edge issue, and/or some other kind of QC issue that one tends to run into at lower price points. Generally, though, in my experience, Stage Customs have been killer from the beginning. Good luck with whatever you choose, but don't count out the Exports. In the hands of a good engineer, you should be able to get a satisfying sound.

Dan