A new finish on an old kit.... a Lacquered Version of Champagne Sparkel

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to pick up a nice custom kit several years ago from a local builder called Punkinater Drums (I know, strange name but good builder). The set was comprised of a few different shells and had already been several colors before he offered them to me. We agreed on a new color and he sanded them down and refinished them into a nice red burst. So now, fast forward to today and I am looking around for a set with 3 rack toms for a Toto Tribute show I am involved with (you know, in the spirit of Jeff Porcaro) when I thought of adding an extra rack and a new kick to my Punkinater set and just using that.

Here is the orgional set....

20180120_162932 copy.jpg

Well, me being me, I got bored and decided that instead of just finishing the new drums in the same matching burst, I would do them all in a new finish. I have always loved Champagne Sparkle (or Bermuda Sand) wraps and even have an older Grestch Catalina Club set in Cooper Sparkle. So using that as my starting point, he went to work.... and I wanted to share the results thus far. This is just an amazing sprayed metallic finish which he is calling "Vintage Sand". His version has a little more movement over a wrap offering with a bit more sparkle and the ability to change under lights, and I so love it. I can’t wait to put the kit back together and give it a test run. But until then, here are a few shots of the drums thus far.

Sorry for the ramble, just excited and wanted to share…

Our starting point...

20190504_095519.jpg

And where we are at this point...

20190530_081135.jpg

64283.jpeg

64814.jpeg

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Duh! I meant to post this in the Builders thread.... can a mod move that for me? Thanks

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not me. In my day we were still spraying nitrocellulose lacquer and today I just do rubbed finishes. A guy in Chattanooga named Jerry Pellfrey at Punkinater Drums sprayed them. They are hard curing now and I will edge them and drill out the new holes in the next week and start the assembly. I'm pretty stoked!

Latest posts