A new size for me - 8x14

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I unloaded one of my aluminum snares (don’t worry, still have three more) and decided to pick up another. Perhaps something a bit different than my maple, fiberglass and aluminum inventory...

I went to my LDS and came home with this! An 8x14 birch RC. I was going to order a surf green but he had this in stock. It’ll match my hoops on my RC Kit. Playing it out this afternoon with my big RC’s. I’ll report after the gig.

BTW, I’ve had only two 8x14’s in my past. A Supralite and an old RC. It’s been too long as I love the tuning range of these puppies.

82DBE48E-AB7D-42EC-B5DA-AC5E01E536CB.jpeg

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you using it with the Petty band? I love a 14x8 snare and it's not the one trick pony some imagine them to be.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
I have one, but it is just "too much" snare for my acoustic jazz gigs.
Same here. Had a Tama S.L.P. Big Black Steel for a while - a wonderful drum, very versatile, great sound and a huge tuning range. But due to the size and the shell material it was too hard to tame for my jazz band. Still tempted to try one with a wood shell. Heck, Billy Higgins, Paul Motian and others made it work.

Reaction score
The 8" Recording Customs are wonderful and very versatile snares, I have an older one that I bought from jazz drummer Elliot Zigmund, and he used it a lot with Bill Evans, so I would say it would be very usable for jazz. Many jazz drummers use 8" snares, to name a few Al Foster, Billy Higgins, Elvin, Jack......

I love my older Recording Custom, I also have and Eames 8" Naturaltone (I think) that is basically a pre-recording custom recording custom (I keep that tuned for rock though.) I like this drum, and other 8" snares because the snares off sound is so good, it doesn't sound like a timbale with the snares off, and sounds more like another tom.

I also have a Tempus 8" that is really good too. However, I've never played a metal 8" snare that I liked though. But I'm pretty sure you'll dig that RC 8. Nothing like Yamaha birch!!!!

MSG

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice !! I have one, custom made locally in Mahogany Block but it is just "too much" snare for my acoustic jazz gigs and I am trying to sell it locally.

.View attachment 414842
Wowee-zowee! That is one gorgeous-looking snare drum. I love it.

Do you happen to know where your builder sourced those DW-style turret lugs? I've wanted for quite some time to build an 8"er with turret lugs, but can't find them anywhere. Any clues?

GeeDeeEmm

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
At what point does the air column become too long? I see people complaining about the deeper bass drums popular these days and part of the problem is the compressability of the deeper air columns and the resultant feel and response. The sound is great though. I think you'd need a really stupid deep snare before you'd encounter problems at that diameter. Like floor tom length. Never mind, thanks for reading though...

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I used to have a 14X10...

...and just to show how big that snare drum is, here it is plugged into my 18/10/14 Ludwig kit....

Generic.
I fitted it with G1's, new hoops and snappy snares, cleaned the whole thing up.
Originally belonged to my nephew, back when he was in elementary school.
Helped my sister move some stuff a few years ago and saw it laying there. $5 later, it was mine.
I remembered fixing it up for him when my sister got it (garage sale) and it still sounded remarkably good.
Deep snares always surprise me by how sensitive they are.
The way I learned things, it was the shallow drums that are supposed to be sensitive, but it seems that its more in the way you set it up.
Do a sloppy job, you get sloppy returns.
Take a little care, use your head and listen with your ears, you get something that works pretty good.
That snare drum was a testament to that.
I've since become a fan of deeper snare drums (partly due to my experiences with that 14x10), even though my current entourage doesn't go deeper than 5.5".
One of these days, I'll dump the inventory and make something that will sound good to me.
At that point, I'll probably outfit it with a couple of 6.5's....or maybe a couple of 8's....go back to 10's?.....:scratch:

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
At what point does the air column become too long? I see people complaining about the deeper bass drums popular these days and part of the problem is the compressability of the deeper air columns and the resultant feel and response. The sound is great though. I think you'd need a really stupid deep snare before you'd encounter problems at that diameter. Like floor tom length. Never mind, thanks for reading though...
Buy the "air column" theory if you want, but the most sensitive drum I ever played was a cast iron 14x8 Keplinger with a P-70 throw-off.
I held my hand about an inch over the batter head, snapped my fingers and the snares reacted.
THAT is sensitive.

pwc1141

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wowee-zowee! That is one gorgeous-looking snare drum. I love it.

Do you happen to know where your builder sourced those DW-style turret lugs? I've wanted for quite some time to build an 8"er with turret lugs, but can't find them anywhere. Any clues?

GeeDeeEmm
Thanks. No I don't know where he gets those lugs from. He also repairs and fixes old drums and those could have come from that activity. I just tried to contact him but he hasn't answered. If he does, I will let you know.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks great Dan! When you first posted about your latest purchase, my initial thought is that you should've held out for the matching surf green. However, now seeing how it complements the natural wood hoops on the bass drum, I think you made the right decision.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congrats and enjoy!! I'm sure it's a great drum and a workhorse for many future gigs and projects. A cool thing about the finish is you can use it with any of your kits and it won't clash with other colors. I had a Tama Artwood 14x8 and I really enjoyed that drum.