A new size for me - 8x14

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I hit a steel Tama 8x14 at 2112 Percussion once i should've bought. It sounded like a mechanical cash register, hefty crunch and brrriiing at the same time.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Once had a 1980's Yamaha brass SD498 14x8 but I was never able to bond with it. Others have though.

My 2nd try is this Tama Superstar 14x8 which was used by the last owner for heavy rock/fusion/funk. He used a clear pinstripe batter head. I never would have gone there. But it works and I really like it. Gives me what I want out of this drum. And it's both sensitive and loud when you need it. I can see using it for jazz.

Attachments

Last edited:

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My favorite size! I have two that I use for acoustic jazz: Gretsch

and Tama Artwood Custom with edges and snare beds redone and equipped with cast hoops:

Beautiful ! The cymbals are Old K or Spizz ???

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
After thinking about getting another Coliseum I happened onto an older RC. Definitely a great drum.

JazzDoc

Reaction score
I unloaded one of my aluminum snares (don’t worry, still have three more) and decided to pick up another. Perhaps something a bit different than my maple, fiberglass and aluminum inventory...

I went to my LDS and came home with this! An 8x14 birch RC. I was going to order a surf green but he had this in stock. It’ll match my hoops on my RC Kit. Playing it out this afternoon with my big RC’s. I’ll report after the gig.

BTW, I’ve had only two 8x14’s in my past. A Supralite and an old RC. It’s been too long as I love the tuning range of these puppies.

View attachment 414841
8x14’s can be really great snare drums! I have a Longo in solid single ply walnut With tube lugs. Incredible fatback when tuned low and as responsive and articulate as almost any 5, 5-1/2 or 6-1/2 I own. Tremendous headroom!
Play it in good health - it’s a beauty!

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks! 14" Johan hats, 18" Spizz, 22" Lauritsen BSC, 22" Lauritsen Kontroversial with rivets, and the bell is by Dave Collingwood.
GREAT !
Never heard of Johan. Where are they made? As for Craig Lauritsen - would love to have some of his cymbals in the future - what an artisan! Currently l own some great Matt Bettis...Old K's...Agops...Meinls... you can see them here https://www.drumforum.org/media/albums/drums-cymbals.1037/

ThomasL

Reaction score
GREAT !
Never heard of Johan. Where are they made? As for Craig Lauritsen - would love to have some of his cymbals in the future - what an artisan! Currently l own some great Matt Bettis...Old K's...Agops...Meinls... you can see them here https://www.drumforum.org/media/albums/drums-cymbals.1037/
Johan was a Belgian independent cymbalsmith who sadly passed away in 2008, way too young. His website has been maintained as a memorial site:

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an 80’s(70’s?)Ludwig Coliseum snare that I’ve had forever. Always tunes it a bit on the higher side but haven’t touched it for years. May need to take it for a spin again on the lower side.