A new size for me - 8x14

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
8x14 snare drums are my favorites too! I have a bunch of them they are incredible, including N&C maple and black walnut drums that just kill!

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
This thread plus Sounds Like a Drum's recent SNOM video has me thinking about pulling one of the 12x15's out of the shop and finishing it. Unfortunately, they're all 10 luggers with mach lugs. Redrilling for 8-lugs would leave it looking like it came from the Majestyk Melon farm.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This thread plus Sounds Like a Drum's recent SNOM video has me thinking about pulling one of the 12x15's out of the shop and finishing it. Unfortunately, they're all 10 luggers with mach lugs. Redrilling for 8-lugs would leave it looking like it came from the Majestyk Melon farm.

I ordered a 15x10 snare. Looking forward to receive and play it.

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
There was a Tama SLP Big Black Steel set up with a kit at Guitar Center. Man! it sounded GREAT. Lovely, almost Bruford-like shell ring. Would make a great rock snare.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that Tama I mentioned earlier in the thread was a BBS. I'd definitely hit it again if I got the chance.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure if Pierre is sporting a 10” or 8” here but I do like it and it covers a lot of sonic ground. Now I gotta get me another snare! Thanks Dan. :)

Freewill3

Reaction score
There was a Tama SLP Big Black Steel set up with a kit at Guitar Center. Man! it sounded GREAT. Lovely, almost Bruford-like shell ring. Would make a great rock snare.
I picked one up about 2 years ago, it's a great drum! Definitely NOT a one-trick pony. I've tried a couple head and wire configurations and have been very satisfied with all the results. Had it low and thuddy and cranked up, never lost it's body. Cool to see it featured on the Drum Center shoot out, hard to beat the price point and quality with Tama.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Not sure if Pierre is sporting a 10” or 8” here but I do like it and it covers a lot of sonic ground. Now I gotta get me another snare! Thanks Dan. :)

Pierre Van Der Linden rockin' a set of Premier's ( :thumbright: ) ...not sure of the model, though.
I wanna say XPK, but those shells look wrapped, so they should be APK's, but the interior of the shell's are not black.........hmmm :scratch:
The snare looks like a marcher. Probably 12" deep.
One thing I've learned from deep snare dums is that sensitivity stays the same as a shallow shell. The only real difference is you get a bigger sound out of a deeper drum and, in some cases, the extra depth can mellow the drum out a little, too....now I'm wishin' I'd have never sold that 14x10 I used to have.

Elvis

Last edited:

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What heads are y’all using?
I just received an 8x14 Gretsch Broadkaster!
Great drum with the stock head on it but thinking a coated Emporer with the reverse dot might tame it just a bit.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a C&C 12th and Vine .that I should play more. My only complaint is the Dunnett throw, I tried swapping it with and Inde but the vent is right behind the throw and it wouldn't fit. Great drum though, plus I put an S Hoop on it to give it some extra punch.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great drum with the stock head on it but thinking a coated Emporer with the reverse dot might tame it just a bit.
I like the Evans power center reverse dot or Aquarian power dot on my 14x8.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
On my 14x8 USA Custom snare I'm currently using an Evans Power Center reverse dot head, and I've also had good results with a coated G2.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
My current two favorite are either a Remo Coated Reverse Dot (I tend to favor the white dot versions these days) or if you really want a fat sounding drum, try the Aquarian Hi-Energy head with the two dots...that 8x14 will sound just like Steve Smiths snare from the last two Journey albums he fully played on (Escape and Frontiers). Highly recommended. They last forever too.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Looks great Dan! When you first posted about your latest purchase, my initial thought is that you should've held out for the matching surf green. However, now seeing how it complements the natural wood hoops on the bass drum, I think you made the right decision.
I was going to say the same thing. I thought right away that holding out for the blue would be the better choice but now that I see this with the set, it looks perfect.

Latest posts