A proper tribute to Neil's legacy. Sully needs to learn from this.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree. It also blows holes in a lot of the "insider info" that Sully was slinging trying to make himself seem important. I personally think he knew nothing or very little and just made the rest up.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was not really a Rush *fan*...but I was a great fan of Neil, Geddy, and Alex (but especially Neil). I know of no other "rockstars" who had their level of class, and held onto it for so many years through the onslaught of fame and fortune. Guys who came out the other side like your best high school buddies. Greats who walked HUMBLY among us mortals and never seemed to see themselves as anything special. Which, of course, means they WERE something very special.

Neil is the guy you hoped and prayed your daughter brought home. A guy you could go for a walk with and not feel intimated one bit by his celebrity....

Yes, we did indeed lose a "great one" with his passing.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was not really a Rush *fan*...but I was a great fan of Neil, Geddy, and Alex (but especially Neil). I know of no other "rockstars" who had their level of class, and held onto it for so many years through the onslaught of fame and fortune. Guys who came out the other side like your best high school buddies. Greats who walked HUMBLY among us mortals and never seemed to see themselves as anything special. Which, of course, means they WERE something very special.

Neil is the guy you hoped and prayed your daughter brought home. A guy you could go for a walk with and not feel intimated one bit by his celebrity....

Yes, we did indeed lose a "great one" with his passing.
After reading that, you would think it would make you want to be a RUSH fan. It's never too late. Jump on board. :)

Last edited:

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Last edited:

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Good on Doane. Very classy. He seems like a good guy to know.

I’m sorry to say that dear man has had some practice in saying goodbye far too early to some fantastic drummers he counted as friends.

I wouldn't know as much about Mark Craney, if not for how Doane spoke of him.

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I feel that the regular folks from here on the forum have done a superior job of honoring Neil and Rush. Some of the big celebrity names have not risen to the level of class shown by our members here. It seems Neil's class has influence along with his drumming skills.

I find myself thinking of Neil and Rush often since learning the news. This has hit me very hard, like it has to many here. Neil is a good man and his influence will remain here, long after "some" celebrities and Rolling Stone magazine have shuffled off the stage.

The honor shown here at DFO for Neil by many of you has been helpful to me.

SpinaDude

Reaction score
I feel that the regular folks from here on the forum have done a superior job of honoring Neil and Rush. Some of the big celebrity names have not risen to the level of class shown by our members here. It seems Neil's class has influence along with his drumming skills.

I find myself thinking of Neil and Rush often since learning the news. This has hit me very hard, like it has to many here. Neil is a good man and his influence will remain here, long after "some" celebrities and Rolling Stone magazine have shuffled off the stage.

The honor shown here at DFO for Neil by many of you has been helpful to me.
Interesting points and unfortunately I think with a lot of merit. Many celebs are foolish, and feed on the notion that because people buy into what they have to say, that what they say is worth hearing. There are also just some opportunists out there waiting to get free press.

I know only a little about Sully from Godsmack. The little I have heard, he seems like a pretty good guy. We all handle the stress of grief differently. Until something more is shown, I'm willing to believe he was truly struggling to deal with Neil's death and meant no harm.

Drm1979

Reaction score
Isn't he the guy that Tom Hanks played in that movie?
Sully erna. Lead singer of godsmack. He said a few things that just dont sit well with regard to Neil's last bit of time before his passing. He may have not meant any harm but either way he shoulda thought more about what he was saying before he said it. His comments came off as more attention seeking rather than offering a genuine tribute to a fallen hero.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm sure Sully didn't consciously set out to raise his profile by saying those things, but the temptations around "I know something you don't know" are hard to resist for a lot of people. He probably feels awful about it now, so hopefully he learned something from it.

Drm1979

Reaction score
I'm sure Sully didn't consciously set out to raise his profile by saying those things, but the temptations around "I know something you don't know" are hard to resist for a lot of people. He probably feels awful about it now, so hopefully he learned something from it.
One can hope. It would soften things though if he offered an apology for his spur of the moment comments. He's obviously inspired by Neil's playing which can be heard in Sully's playing. But We all know what a horrible disease cancer is and know well enough what he went through. I'm sure most all of Neil's fans want to remember him either drumming, touring on his motorcycle or just being a family man. That's how I'm choosing to remember him. Especially since I'm reading his book that he wrote detailing his travels during the snakes and arrows tour.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you listen to the entire audio, it sounds like he is talking out of his butt for most of it. He said he knew Neil was sick when the tour ended. Not true given the average outcomes of Glioblastoma. Neil battled it for three and a half years and that is well above average.

When he was talking about Selina's death, first he said that it was a single car crash which is true, then he said she was hit by a drunk driver and her car was wrapped around a telephone pole. Completely false.

His connection to Neil sounded like it was mostly through his assistant, if true. It sounded more akin to the famous line in Ferris Bueller "Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious."

If he actually met Neil twice as he claims, that doesn't make you "friends" as he claims. At best that makes you acquaintances.

I question when"he got the call" that it was from any official channel. Probably heard like the rest of us but that's just my opinion.

The whole thing came across as disingenuous and "Look at Me!". Maybe we're wrong.

Rush fans are pretty spoiled when it comes to hearing band members express themselves. All three are very intelligent and well spoken. An eloquent musician, especially a rock musician, often is a rarity. This case is an excellent example.

Drm1979

Reaction score
If you listen to the entire audio, it sounds like he is talking out of his butt for most of it. He said he knew Neil was sick when the tour ended. Not true given the average outcomes of Glioblastoma. Neil battled it for three and a half years and that is well above average.

When he was talking about Selina's death, first he said that it was a single car crash which is true, then he said she was hit by a drunk driver and her car was wrapped around a telephone pole. Completely false.

His connection to Neil sounded like it was mostly through his assistant, if true. It sounded more akin to the famous line in Ferris Bueller "Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious."

If he actually met Neil twice as he claims, that doesn't make you "friends" as he claims. At best that makes you acquaintances.

I question when"he got the call" that it was from any official channel. Probably heard like the rest of us but that's just my opinion.

The whole thing came across as disingenuous and "Look at Me!". Maybe we're wrong.

Rush fans are pretty spoiled when it comes to hearing band members express themselves. All three are very intelligent and well spoken. An eloquent musician, especially a rock musician, often is a rarity. This case is an excellent example.
Tbh I didn't even listen to the audio. I just read the article in blabbermouth and immediately thought whoa this is not going to go over well. I didn't want to hear the audio from the full interview and probably won't seek it out as I wish to honor what I believe Neil's wishes would be and remember him at his peak. Since they stopped after R40 saying that they wanted to go out while still at their peak that's why I feel that's what he would want. Btw that's a pretty good comparison to Ferris Buellers day off.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, I think Sully could take a "lesson" or three from this guy...

Oh... and he can play as well, both old & new skool catalog... here's a bit of the old skool that you don't hear too often (and the title plays a bit to the topic): Lessons