A Question About Something Kenny Aronoff Recently Said…

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well I thought about it for a few days because I was curious. He’s a good salesman I guess. If I wasted a few bucks I’ll live.

I think it's just his advice, it's not a rule. That's the combo he says he always uses and has a lot of success with. As a top studio professional his sound is aways great, so it's not just a 'sales pitch'. I'm sure other studio drummers use a completely different set up and have success.
I sometimes use Evans (top and bottom) on my snares, sometimes use Remo, you should be able to get a good sound with both, then it's just personal taste.
I haven't been wowed by the studio sound of my 6.5 x 14" Supraphonic, so after watching the Aronoff video I ordered a set of Puresound 24's.
I'm not yet at the stage of combining die cast and triple flanged hoops. We'll see.....maybe.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, with a die cast hoop and a 20 mil head you're probably killing all sensitivity and overtones. In the studio that setup probably works for him since he hits like sledgehammer but I'm not sure it's for everyone.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I mean, with a die cast hoop and a 20 mil head you're probably killing all sensitivity and overtones. In the studio that setup probably works for him since he hits like sledgehammer but I'm not sure it's for everyone.
You may be right but Copeland who always uses just a coated ambassador, always has tape or moongel on there. Most of the time when I play either of his snares with ambassadors I need to add some muffling. Of course if I was outdoors I may not need it. It’s hard to beat the openness and sensitivity of ambassadors but having more snare wires can make up for that a little. I’m going to mess around with the tuning to see if I can get it sounding any better.

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
Whenever I've tried a diecast hoop on a snare for some reason it always sounds "thin" when not playing rim shots. Case in point Pearl Sensitone Classic II opened up and had alot more punch when I replaced both hoops with 2.3mm.
A long time ago, I read that diecast hoops were not such a good idea, because they have little or no flex, and can be very hard on a drum shell. I would think metal shells would probably be ok, though.

Shovel&Pale

Reaction score
There is absolutely no truth to that statement.
There is definitely a weight issue or something on toms. I've a/b'd them and 2.3mm has a little more sustain. Most drums before the 80's came with 1.6mm. Only issue is long term durability and possible quality.

Sorry if this has gone off topic. There has to be another thread somewhere on this very issue. Yamaha's aluminum, DW's 3.0mm, etc.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is definitely a weight issue or something on toms. I've a/b'd them and 2.3mm has a little more sustain. Most drums before the 80's came with 1.6mm. Only issue is long term durability and possible quality.

Sorry if this has gone off topic. There has to be another thread somewhere on this very issue. Yamaha's aluminum, DW's 3.0mm, etc.
Oh, die-casts DEFINITELY sound different. I was saying there's no truth to saying that they're hard on a shell, or that you're risking any kind of damage to your drums by using them. Gretsch has been using die-cast hoops since the 60s.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me with this? It seems that whichever wires or cord/ribbon/or now Puresound wires with the straps and pins the wires are never flush near the endplate (see pics). Not all the snare wires are touching the head and as you can see they’re coming in at an angle. And the throwoff is engaged with what seems like moderate tension. Are the wires all supposed to be flush or am I doing something wrong?
52D66C38-3DEB-4EC8-A74B-46EB7A49255D.jpeg
BD661817-0A84-4EBC-9BB0-5C84B4C34D58.jpeg

Last edited:

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I DID read that somewhere, a while back. I guess I REALLY have to be careful what I say on this blog.
Nobody's disputing that you read it somewhere, just the actual content of the message.

I read somewhere that George Washington was 12 stories tall, made of radiation, and invented cocaine, but that doesn't mean it's true. ;)

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To answer the original question, I'd put them on the Pearl. I'd also suggest tuning higher than you think you need to. That combo sounds like one that'll really sing at a higher tuning.

Can someone help me with this? It seems that whichever wires or cord/ribbon/or now Puresound wires with the straps and pins the wires are never flush near the endplate (see pics). Not all the snare wires are touching the head and as you can see they’re coming in at an angle. And the throwoff is engaged with what seems like moderate tension. Are the wires all supposed to be flush or am I doing something wrong?
View attachment 505936 View attachment 505937
It's hard to tell from the picture but the pins look like they're not put in right to me. Normally when I use those pins they sit in a way that looks kinda awkward on the plate but holds the wires beautifully. It looks like your pins are going into your snare slots when it should look like this:

stevesmithfan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In opposition to Kenny, I prefer a cast hoop on the bottom of the snare. You get a nice tight even tension and don’t have to worry about the head popping out of the hoop!

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was wondering about the dc top hoop. It does muffle some twangy/boingy overtones, but it also adds a massive transient spike to the rimshot. Does Kenny use hearing protection - a metal drum with cd hoop at the volume he plays is a weapon. The other thing: I'd think many times a broader, longer sound is the goasl - do they compress this transient spike? So, why not use a thinner hoop to start with?

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I put a die cast on my Black Beauty for a while for playing live with a loud band I was in. It worked pretty well for that but later I got a Gretsch bellbrass which worked even better and went back to triple flanged on the BB. Sounds fantastic / better to my ears stock.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m gonna somehow get a hold of Kenny Aronoff and tell him I want a refund. Just joking. Seriously though, my Tama Copeland snare is messed up. I followed his drum tech’s advice and tightened the snot out of the batter side head a while back and I must not have tightened it evenly because it warped the hoop and now it’s pretty hard to tune. I just now tuned it with the Drumdial to 90 on top and 82 on the bottom and checked the fundamental and it’s only at an E. Also, two or three of the tension rods on the top have to be completely loose for all the top tension rods to be close to 90 on the dial.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To answer the original question, I'd put them on the Pearl. I'd also suggest tuning higher than you think you need to. That combo sounds like one that'll really sing at a higher tuning.

It's hard to tell from the picture but the pins look like they're not put in right to me. Normally when I use those pins they sit in a way that looks kinda awkward on the plate but holds the wires beautifully. It looks like your pins are going into your snare slots when it should look like this:
Good call. The pins needed adjusting.