A QUIET CRASH?

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realize the phrase “quiet crash” is contradictory....

I’m looking for suggestions for a larger Zildjian or Sabian crash cymbal that is quieter than most. An old 18 or 19 inch. Not practice cymbals like L80s or Quiet Tones, but an actual crash cymbal that is lower not only in tone but in volume, or, at least, perceived volume. Perhaps a thin that opens quickly that doesn’t require force.

Mellow but not trashy. Trashy crashes, to me, grab attention due to their apparent dissonance.

My only crash is an 18” K Custom Dark. Wonderful cymbal, just looking for something gentler than that [and mine is not an in-your-face crash by any means].

Is there a crash from these brands that stays away from vocals and acoustic guitar? Do I want thin in structure and dry in tone? Does such a crash exist? The Sabian FRX crash intrigues me but I haven’t been able to find any to play in person.

This would be paired with 15 inch K Light hats and one of three rides: a 20” K Flat, a 20” K Custom Dark, or an Uptown.

Your perceptions are valued. When I listen to crashes on line I just don’t feel I’m getting a proper representation of presence.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
use a mallet
if you want really softer quieter gentler you need i recommend a bosphorus trad thin crash. no heavy machine were involved
i don't think z or s make anything as organic so..maybe time for a change

Last edited:

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would recommend a Dream vintage bliss. The only reason I sold mine is because it couldn’t produce the volume equal to my Zildjian/Sabians on stage

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
At one point in time, I sought out a similar type of sound. It turned out that what I was really going for without knowing it, was a crashable ride. But not one that was ringing to overshadow my ride stick playing. At that time, I found a used Paiste Traditional 18" Flat ride that fit the bill. It had just enough of a low crash for accents without overpowering my ride work when I went right back to it. I still play a flat today but I've moved to a 20". Recently I've heard the Renaissance rides in the K. Con series and they are just phenomenal for cutting in/out crashes within your sticking. Problem with the K.Cons is, most stores want your left lung in payment! Over $500 brand new and not likely you will find used at much lower.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agop’s dark ION series crashes are what I would call a quiet crash. I actually put that in my description when I sold mine. They open quickly, but they have a pretty quick decay and I found it easy to hit them for a “quiet” crash.

james_c_marks

Reaction score
Paiste 18” Sound Creation Short Crash, the one with the flat top bell. It’s louder than crashing a Flat, but not as “in your face” as a crash with a regular bell designed to fully amplify its sound.

VinSparkle

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Zildjian Vintage A. Zildjian & Cie series. I had the 15” Crash at one point and it was quiet.

Also recommend Turkish Cymbals Classic Series paper thin crashes. My favorite 15”crash. Hand hammered, so a little more nuanced.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’d suggest a 16” or 18” Zildjian & Cie crash.
Those were beautiful, but I think they are hard to find.
I like the Evolution crash suggestion, played a 16" that way like butter, way lower pitched than its size suggested and uber-responsive.
In general, thin with a small bell. Those FRX(?) half-perforated Sabians seem like another first from them, a meatier, bigger cymbal with a lower output.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
An early A & Cie (the first 'brilliant' ) I found an 18" on ebay (back lots) for $60 and it's an 18" at 1445g was advertised as 'a ride' ...and it's a weird dark almost orchestral cymbal.. find one of those ; )
I'm going to hang on to it and maybe take it out this summer. The old "A & Cie" the 'first' brilliants are semi quiet.
"Brilliants" in general maybe (muted as the lathe lines (peaks) are buffed down (flat)

Last edited:

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree the evolution opens up with a light hit. I could even get a crash out of mine with brushes. But it could get away from me really easily. And when hit hard it was loud. I had it paired with a k hybrid which always seemed softer. The k had a much smaller bell.