A QUIET CRASH?

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Stagg Sensa line is an oddball that fits this category. I've been using them for a my smaller gigs while me and the sound guy try to figure out their sound. The ones I have sound exactly like these videos. They've got a thick sound and almost harshness within 3 feet of them but once you're not right next to them they sound like glass, it's really wonderful. If you do their Sensa ocean ones it should be easy to open, and glassy and won't hurt anyone's ears since they're way thinner than the medium line.

saturnresearch

Reaction score
Hazelshould occasionally carries paper thin Masterworks cymbals that are amazingly dark, quick, and quiet instruments. I have a 19 paper thin flat (~1000g) that I use as a third cymbal to the side of my main ride and it's fantastic for quick accents and has a cool white noise effect when riding. Very very soft to the touch and to the ears.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you like it? I’ve only played one in store never long enough to make a solid purchase of one.
I like the Uptown a lot as a quieter ride. Good ping and the big dimples give it some nice character. However, as a crash the initial note is not that interesting. I think the dimpling that give it such an interesting ride tone impair some of its crashability. I have to hit it a little harder to get it to open up.

That said, I’ve only had this since mid quarantine and have not played it in any live setting. Could sound totally different in the context electric guitars and bass.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sabian FRX.
What they do well is open up and give you the full character of the crash at a lesser volume level.
You don't need to bash them to get a crash.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The old Sabian sound control series crashes were good at this.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
he wants to keep it under $70..
Bless your heart, JDA.
hey I want to keep as cheap as possible too! No matter if it's an old K a Gretsch snare drum or a near new B!!
Anyone can go out and spend $400 .... only a few of us can get the identical for $110!!!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
but good as a wash mambo Art Blakey ride? I'd take it..

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
I gave up the search for a large quiet crash and settled for smaller crashes sound as full as possible when playing in situations that demanded it. If a vertain hit needed length of tone over crashiness, I'd shoulder the ride. Sure it's not the same but I'm pretty sure I was the only one in the tiny bright venue who wished my crashes were bigger.

Redfern

Reaction score
@CC Cirillo , I just picked up a 20" Masterwork Jazzmaster Paper Thin Crash/Ride that tips the scales at 1376 grams! That's right...1376! All those grams for only $145....killer deal...the deals are out there, just gotta be patient... :D

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bosphorus Master Vintage. They’ve got a very soft, played-in feel and sound. I’ve also got a 16” Mehmet Nostalgia crash that’s pretty quiet. Dunno if that’s true across the line, or just the one I have.

ThomasL

Reaction score
In my experience, the quietest crash is a 22-24" paper-thin, wobbly cymbal. It seems a lot of the energy goes into inaudible frequencies. If you want something higher pitched, be careful that is doesn't get too splashy.