A QUIET CRASH?

Topbnanna

Reaction score
I realize the phrase “quiet crash” is contradictory....

I’m looking for suggestions for a larger Zildjian or Sabian crash cymbal that is quieter than most. An old 18 or 19 inch. Not practice cymbals like L80s or Quiet Tones, but an actual crash cymbal that is lower not only in tone but in volume, or, at least, perceived volume. Perhaps a thin that opens quickly that doesn’t require force.

Mellow but not trashy. Trashy crashes, to me, grab attention due to their apparent dissonance.

My only crash is an 18” K Custom Dark. Wonderful cymbal, just looking for something gentler than that [and mine is not an in-your-face crash by any means].

Is there a crash from these brands that stays away from vocals and acoustic guitar? Do I want thin in structure and dry in tone? Does such a crash exist? The Sabian FRX crash intrigues me but I haven’t been able to find any to play in person.

This would be paired with 15 inch K Light hats and one of three rides: a 20” K Flat, a 20” K Custom Dark, or an Uptown.

Your perceptions are valued. When I listen to crashes on line I just don’t feel I’m getting a proper representation of presence.

Topbnanna

Reaction score

I’m looking for suggestions for a larger Zildjian or Sabian crash cymbal that is quieter than most. An old 18 or 19 inch. Not practice cymbals like L80s or Quiet Tones, but an actual crash cymbal that is lower not only in tone but in volume, or, at least, perceived volume. Perhaps a thin that opens quickly that doesn’t require force.

Mellow but not trashy. Trashy crashes, to me, grab attention due to their apparent dissonance.

My only crash is an 18” K Custom Dark. Wonderful cymbal, just looking for something gentler than that [and mine is not an in-your-face crash by any means].

Is there a crash from these brands that stays away from vocals and acoustic guitar? Do I want thin in structure and dry in tone? Does such a crash exist? The Sabian FRX crash intrigues me but I haven’t been able to find any to play in person.

This would be paired with 15 inch K Light hats and one of three rides: a 20” K Flat, a 20” K Custom Dark, or an Uptown.

Your perceptions are valued. When I listen to crashes on line I just don’t feel I’m getting a proper representation of presence.

trying not to be cute here but come on.. cymbals don’t crash themselves . You are in control of how you strike it. Play lighter, glance off it, watch your dynamics.. you can do it!

Core Creek

Reaction score
I love my Zildjian 18” A Custom fast crashes. They’re paper thin, and have such a nice shimmer. I love them so much I have two set up on my kit....

f15c

Reaction score
If you like your K, I recommend you check out a K Dark THIN crash for something that sounds similar but is a bit more “quiet.” Probably a matter of perspective here, but I have both 17” K Custom Dark Crash as well as a 17” K Dark Thin Crash. To me, their tones sounds about the same. However, when playing with a band, the thin crash disappears into the mix almost immediately, as opposed to the KCDC which rings out a bit more. So for my application (rock), my thin crash is more quiet. So quiet that I picked up a 16” A Custom crash for something that stands out when I need it. Good luck!

DrumsbyGaz

Reaction score

I’ve just bought the K Sweets and plan to mix them with the Dark K’s. The sweet 19” crash has a bit more cut which doesn’t resonate quite as long as the Dark 18”. My favourite is the 15” Thin Dark K, sound from it is instant, quick and sounds great live and recording.

Alpine

Reaction score

Sabian FRX would fit the bill https://sabian.com/cymbals/?cymbal-series[]=frx&cymbal-type[]=crashes&sort=recent

markkarj

Reaction score

I find quiet can be very much a matter of technique. But admittedly, a certain cymbal can help to play quieter... in that it doesn't take much to coax a sound out of it.

I've found 1970s A Zildjians can be light enough to have a nice shimmer with a soft touch, but don't overpower the music.

I also have one of the Istanbul Agop Lenny White crashes... a dark, musty cymbal that doesn't get in the way of other sounds. I don't find it's trashy per se, at least not like an EFX.

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ah, the quest for a quiet crash . . .

I played more gigs than I care to remember in which the band was hired to play background music for dinner table conversation. Forget crashing anything in that situation. Heck, just pulling out light sticks instead of using brushes is risky. People don't realize that there's no volume dial on drums that allows us to play the same things quietly that we can play more loudly. We can still play, but we can't always make the same sounds. Crashes are among the sounds that have to be eliminated.

Now I have a 15" K Dark thin crash that comes as close as I know to come to a quiet crash. It's not really that quiet--no crash is--but it's about as quiet as possible without being a splash. The only way I can think of to have a relatively quiet crash in a larger diameter is to go dark and thin at that size.

I'll add that one piece of information that sound files are especially poor at conveying is how loud or quiet a cymbal is. We can after all adjust the volume when listening. And despite what some allege, cymbals really do vary in volume.

Probably dark and thin is the way to go.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

In my limited experience with Bosphorus cymbals, I was surprised how relatively quiet they were. Or, you could just hit your cymbals softer. ;)

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would recommend a Dream vintage bliss. The only reason I sold mine is because it couldn’t produce the volume equal to my Zildjian/Sabians on stage
Funny, my gigging set up has an 18 Vintage Bliss crash ride I use right of my ride as a crash. It is what a modern K crash only dreams of being - dark, shimmery and loud! And I am a die hard Z player......very underrated cymbals and cheap, too.

Biggsenator

Reaction score
Sabian AAX X-plosion extra thin crash, 16" or 18". These came in a church music cymbal pack for me, with a 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride and 13" AAX stage hats. Also had an 11" AAX splash. I have never seen these hats in 13" or these crashes in extra thin weight except in this package. But they are perfect for low volume settings. The best I've ever used. I keep these together in their own cymbal vault and they are my go-to for church and other low-volume gigs.

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a 17” Istanbul Agop Xist crash that opens up at very low volume. If you wanted it slightly darker the 18 had more of a darkness to it. Picked mine up at Revival Drum shop in Portland Oregon. I was kind of looking at fancy used crashes and the guys there said to check out the Xist line. It was just over $150 new with a one year warranty against cracking. First new cymbal I have ever bought.

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meinl Extra dry series are very low volume. Great for recording or jazz gigs. I had a few and they were too low volume for un-miked bar gigs. Low in pitch, low volume.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bliss 19" crash/ride is quite loud too. Probably don't count on those to be quiet. I would love to hear that quiet one.

edhr

Reaction score
I have a perfect suggestion for you: Sabian HH vanguard 18"
I bought one hoping for a crash ride type thing, and it turns out this is a whisper quiet, beautifully balanced crash with a dark swell. It's so different from my other stuff I don't even have it set up right now. It doesn't really project or cut very well at all. But I can hit it full on with no ear protection in a tiny basement. No issues, no ringing. Kind of magical, but it's hard to fit alongside 'normal' cymbals. I'm looking forward to using it for a quiet jazz gig situation, or an acoustic singer song writer type thing.
I used it for an outdoor rock set last summer and I could barely hear it up against electric guitars, and I was thrashing it right in front of my face. So it's not for every occasion.