A QUIET CRASH?

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I second the Zildjian A Custom fast crashes or thins. The 18" I had was about 1280 gm and sounded almost like a 50's Zildjian. You could crash that as softly as you liked and it was still a "crash" though subdued.
Most any thin to paper thin 50's to 80's Zildjian will do the same thing. I've had 18" 1970's as light as 1260 gm that were amazing light touch crashes. The A Customs are still be made and easy to obtain. You don't have
to buy the "fast crash" which is often more money. The regular thin line (not stamped) are often the same weights as "fast crashes" and perform identically.

jade one

Reaction score
I agree with the dream bliss recommendations, I ran FOH at a club for around a year pre-covid and dream bliss crashes were always polite.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use an 18" early Crescent (pre Sabian) ...... doggone it, forgot the series name. Very thin and bendable, lovely lush crash that opens and closes quickly. Still find I have to grab it real fast (!) to mute in quiet settings ..... my bad!

Mike

Jonnymac

Reaction score
19 Kerope is a lovely model but taps out at a lower than normal volume. It’s also a GREAT ride cymbal at low volumes

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 19” Paiste Giant Beat thin. It opens to a beautiful crash with a light touch. It can get loud.... but that’s where technique comes into play. Also if I’m worried about volume I tend to use open hi-hat crashes rather than a crash cymbal for a lot of accents.

jmato

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll throw in a plug for a Paiste Signature Traditionals 16" Thin Crash. Beautiful, on the quiet side, and quick decay.