A Song You Recently Heard for the First Time that Made You Run to Your Drums to Play

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Was listening to Pandora, possibly on Thanksgiving itself, and when Organ Donor (an instrumental) by Lefties Soul Connection, I was first intrigued, then absolutely hooked and then I just had an intense desire to play drums.

To me, it's just so fun and I love how the drums are so high in the mix... I had a similar reaction to hearing the Incredible Bongo Band's Apache for the first time in a long time (on the Baby Driver sound track).

What song had you running for the drums after hearing it for the first time?

Last edited by a moderator:

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
AC/DC - "If You Want Blood, You Got It" (In honor of Malcolm). OK, so it is not the first time I have ever heard that song, but it has been years. Just a rockin', great tune with a driving groove - fun to play.

R

RickP

Chicago 25 or 6 to 4, i had a drum teacher that would transcribe charts for various popular records as part of my lessons.
He requested I get Chicagos Greatest Hits album for our next series of lessons. Listening to this album started a lifelong
admiration for this band and Danny Seraphine.

J

jaymandude

I never listen to new pop music. But somewhere, somehow , a few months ago I heard this song. And I've been experimenting with two snares, a 10x14 marching snare tuned super sloppy in the floor tom position. And a 12 or 13 as the main snare. And then you add that hip hop cross stick/stick on stick. And you can play something close to this. Plus adding the cowbell part. It's almost like a Meters groove without the improvisational aspect...

dharma bum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feel it Still, by Portugal the Man.

Heard it on the radio in the car and thought, "people dig this song and my band can totally nail this." Went home and got the groove down (pretty easy), then sent the video link to our singer, and she was in.

Very retro and grooving, of course we've played around with the arrangement a lot, but it's now a song that gets people dancing.

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
"Lay Down, Sally", played live by Vince Gill, Sheryl Crow, Albert Lee, James Burton, & some others. The drummer (whose name I don't know) just drives a nice, solid train beat, so I had to go do it, too. Some great lead riffs on those electric guitar things.....marko

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Michael McDonald's "I keep Forgetting" will send me to my kit every time. I was just in my basement yesterday hanging plywood and listening to a Gimlet Podcast called "Intruding Mogul" about Def Jam Executive Chris Lighty and they did this bit on Warren G with "Regulate" in the background. Boom, down go the tools and right to the kit.

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
First time I heard this half time shuffle I dropped everything to get to my drums...