A source for cocktail like snares

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
I actually want to try and fabricate something like the LP minisnare (its an 8" timbale/snare).

thanks

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't know if you can even buy 8" snare wires??? I have a 5x10 Pearl popcorn snare on my suitcase kit. That thing pops like crazy and has a nice ringy sound when tuned high. I have it high but I use a homemade fat snare drum-type O-ring - gives it a nice medium-ish fat sound. If I recall, I bought 2 snares off a guy on CList and he threw it in. It's perfect for what I need......

I think the LP thing, if I am thinking about the right thing, has a snare mechanism on a knob so you tighten it and it touches the bottom of the top head......maybe you can fabricate a partial snare wire using a drum muffler???

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just looked at that drum as I was not familiar with it. Sweet water had images you could spin 360 so I could see underneath.

I’m thinking along the lines of a snare drum muffler but straightening out the ‘curved’ dampener(if possible) then cutting a snare strand in half(or whatever length you want/need) and mount it onto straightened dampener metal. I had a approximate 1955 WFL Cocktail kit that originally had a 8 wire strand snare(I think it was 8) and I cut a 20 strand snare and mounted it where original was.

You’d have to figure out the correct distance(of course) where to drill for dampener so it would be in proper contact under head.

Just thinking out loud as I enjoy the tinker and like this kinda’ stuff. Hope you can build it and have fun.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
along these lines.............. take a ludwig muffle and remove the top part (round metal and felt). use ludwig because they have tough tempered metal that does not bend out of shape. take some snare wires and cut in half. rivet the wires to the muffle frame. i did this for a ludwig cocktail drum and you could not tell they were unoriginal. i thought i had some pictures but i can not find them.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks all for the ideas...may not try this for months but I thought if it existed as a product...you guys would know

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You can find these drums at Goodwill occasionally for ¢, from which you can harvest the parts or even use the entire drum (they seem to be of poplar these days, which is a much more stable wood than luan). The wires could use a replacement with an extended set (harvested from old wires) in some cases...

Latest posts